Most owners of cats or dogs with longer fur opt to take their pet to an experienced groomer once every 4-6 weeks, while shorter-haired breeds may only visit every 8-12 weeks.
The best way to determine how often to visit a pet groomer is to inspect your pet’s hair. It is important to pay attention to the following factors:
- Is your pet unable to see because his hair has grown over his eyes?
- Is he experiencing regular tangles in the coat due to length?
- Does his coat have mats or other unhealthy patches that need to be removed?
- Is his coat starting to look unhealthy and unkempt?
- Does your pet have problems with health or cleanliness because of his coat length?
Remember, grooming appointments can be stressful, but they should not be traumatic. If your pet is acting unusual after a trip to the groomer, consider it a red flag. A good pet groomer understands how to work with even the most challenging pets. Your pet should seem relatively relaxed and confident after the appointment and not afraid to go back.