Senior Exploration Geologist
As a Senior Exploration Geologist, my expertise stems from a broad background of responsibilities accumulated over a period of almost twenty years within international minerals exploration covering a wide variety of activities. These include target generation, surface mapping, RC & DD drill testing, target delineation, geodatabase administration, introducing digital mapping, XRF mapping and sampling, and the continuous application and updating of innovative and proven applied geological and minerals exploration techniques. I have a recognised ability to analyse existing exploration team processes, apply experience and knowledge to drive innovation and improvement to conscious exploration practices as a whole, encouraging and inspiring geo-exploration team members to achieve personal and team success beyond their existing boundaries.
My role has predominantly been that of Exploration Geologist working in countries including Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Dominican Republic, Panama, Colombia, Papua New Guinea and in recent years, throughout northern Australia. This work experience has exposed me to different terrains, working conditions, cultures, politics and decision making processes and allowed me to explore a wide variety of prospects and ore deposits together with its broad arrange of logistics including helicopters, boats, trucks, bikes, mules and mainly boots on the ground. I have been pro-actively involved in the safety and security of the teams using my international OH&S knowledge and personal experience.
I have been leading small exploration teams in grassroots and drill programs. My expertise relates to Porphyry systems, Epithermals (HS & LS), IOCG and Skarns, and VMS - BHT. I have been fortunate to have several opportunities in setting up digital mapping systems and other technical updates and have a strong focus on training local and expatriate Geologists, Field and Technical staff.
Xstrata Copper Exploration
February 2010 - April 2014
Exploration for IOCG and Skarns (Cu-Cu/Au), VMS and BHT Types of deposits, in charge of exploration in the Eastern Succession, Mount Isa, Cloncurry area.
• Strongly focused in the technical progress of the team, promoting constant improvement and standardization of work routines including field data acquisition and mapping, drill logging, rock / soil sampling, interrogation and analysis of the geo-database. Incorporating new tools (i.e. geochemical mapping with XRF, digital geological mapping with PDA's - tablets, introducing critical changes to the old database and appropriate statistical software to interrogate the database). I organised highly specialised educational courses for the team including a seminar on Mineralised Models with Dr. Richard Sillitoe and a Structural Mapping course with expert in Cortical Tectonics Dr. Juan Carlos Castelli, both of which impacted the careers of my direct report geologists, as well as geologists within the organization and external geological guests from other companies.
• My methodical field work combined with perseverance in the analysis showed high performance in developing a number of high potential targets within historical and very mature exploration terrain throughout the Cloncurry district.
Barrick Gold Exploration Australia
January 2008 - January 2010
Exploration of Cu/Au Porphyry deposits, Papua New Guinea in charge of small explorations teams (up to 6 geologists, including juniors and project geologist) to evaluate the potential of different prospects; selected to undertake review of JV partners; key role in the interpretation of the data and transferring knowledge to junior local & project geologists
• Key role in establishing and implementing the digital mapping method to collect the data for any surface exploration programs for the Australian and PNG region and training local juniors & project geologists.
• Implementation, development and management of the grassroots program in Miocene arc, Eje Cafetero, Antioquia, Colombia. Training local junior geologists.
• Lead the first incursion within the Eocene arc, in Acandí, near Colombia/Panamá frontier.
Barrick Gold Exploraciones Argentina
January 2005 - December 2007
; lead Drill testing programs in Frontera Camp (Veladero mine), 2005-2006 resulting in the best brownfield resource discovery outside Veladero.
• Assisted with the development of the Pueblo Viejo Project (Dominican Republic) focusing on the alteration of the hydrothermal system contributing to the understanding of the general model of the deposit
• Evaluation of different properties belonging to Barrick or JV partners with key technical contributions.
Free lance (2004)
• Evaluating a number of prospects mainly located in the Deseado massif, southern Patagonia for epithermal gold usually associated with low sulphidation style of ore deposits.
• Exploration of the eastern edge of Florida Greenstone Belt and Nico Perez terrain, Uruguay, working for independent investors looking for LS and mesothermal vein systems.
Junior and Project Geologist - Mount Isa Mining
Leading and operational management of a number of projects including Pampa Norte 2002, Carmen Bajo 2001, San Roque 2000 and regional exploration (RC and DD Drilling testing for IOCG and LS type of deposit)
• Vast exploration experience in Argentina, Brazil, Australia and Chile such as:
* Exploration experience in northern Chile (West Fissure) prospecting for porphyry style and evaluating JV partners ground for MIM
* Lead grassroots program for porphyry systems in Cordillera, within Mendoza with a key role resulting in the discovery of Papagayos porphyry.
* Prospecting for porphyry and HS styles of deposits throughout Cordillera Principal and Cordillera Frontal including exploration at 5000 metres supported with helicopters and mules where teamwork was crucial
* Involvement in regional exploration for IOCG type of mineralization, in archean metasediments and metavolcanic rocks in Mount Isa
* Exploration in Goiania, Brazil, exploring for the Crixas style of deposits
* Exploration for porphyry and VMS in Argentine Puna Plateau,
* Exploration for Carlin style in Argentine Precordillera.
Qualifications & Certifications
Universidad Nacional de San Juan