I am a dedicated Safety Professional with a vast experience in all SHERQ related issues.
Vukuza Earth Works (Pty) Ltd
October 2007 - January 2010
I was appointed as the Group SHECQ Auditor for the Buildmax Group of companies which includes Vukuza Earth Works and Diesel Power where I was responsible to do the ISO compliance audits on all the sites, until I was retrenched on 1 May 2010.
I worked as a Consultant for ISTEC Safety at Lonmin Platinum Mine where I was the Lead Auditor for the Safety Maturity Audit on the Eastern Limb. I conducted the Baseline Risk Assessments for the Lonmin Assay Laboratory and for the Lonmin Smelter.
I started working as the Group SHERQ Auditor for Diesel Power (Pty) Ltd on 18 July 2011 where I am currently still employed. I was responsible conducting ISO audits throughout the Buildmax Group. Later I was moved to the position as SHERQ Superintendent in charge of Leeuwpan, Stuart coal, Palesa, Gold One, Alfa sand, Crushco and Witdeep sites.
I am fully committed to safety and see myself as a Professional Safety Practitioner. I have experience in normal safety related issues, risk assessment, ISO Auditing and Behaviour Intervention Technologies. I am fully conversant in English, Afrikaans and Fanakalo. I have also presented courses and presentations in all three these languages. I am a good speaker and communicate well with my superiors as well as my subordinates.
I have implemented, managed and maintained various Safety Systems over the years such as MSMS, NOSA, CAP, IRCA ISO based and IMS (Diesel Power)
During the time I spent at these various Mines I have gained experience in several mining methods, i.e. Shrinkage Mining, Paddock Mining, Backfill Mining, Up-Dip and Down-Dip Mining, Conventional Mining, Hybrid Mining and Trackless Mining. I furthermore have six years experience as a Safety Officer on Vertical Shafts and +/- 6 years on Decline Shafts. I also have 6 years experience in Open Pit Mining.
Gold Fields of SA
February 1987 - February 1990
I was appointed as Safety Officer at West Driefontein Gold Mine, number 7 Shaft. Here I worked as a Safety Officer for 4 years.
I was offered a job as a Safety Officer at Rustenburg Platinum Mines in 1993. I started working at Turffontein Shaft in November 1993 as a Safety Officer. I was transferred to Frank Shaft in 1995.
During the time I worked as Safety Officer at Turffontein Shaft and Frank Shaft, I relieved as Chief Safety Officer several times. (Total period as Acting Chief Safety Officer - 24 months.)
I was a member of the Risk Assessment Team of RPM during 1996 where I participated in doing the Baseline Risk Assessment of the whole mine (including the plants, concentrators and engineering workshops) as well as Issue Based Risk Assessments on various new machines implemented on the mine.
On 26 August 2002 I started working at Bafokeng Rasimone Platinum Mine as a Behaviour Intervention Assessor until 18 May 2003.
On 19 May 2003 I was Promoted to Chief Safety Officer (MP1) at South Business Area until 28 April 2005.
I started working at Shaft Sinkers on 29 April 2005 as a SHEQT Officer at Impala 16 Shaft until 16 July 2006.
On 17 July 2006 I was sent to Zambia by M.E.T.S. as a Safety Consultant where I worked as the Safety Coordinator for KDMP Package B until 31 August 2007 when I returned to South Africa.
Chief Safety Officer
Rasimone Platinum Mine
er month to +/- 35 per month.
• Implementing and maintaining SHERQ systems and monitor compliance.
• Conducting inspections.
• Investigation of accidents and incidents.
• Conducting ICAM investigations.
• Ordering of Safety Equipment on SAP.
• Manage PPE store and monitor compliance in the field.
• Accompany I.O.M. on site visits and compiling reports of such visits.
• Keeping statistics of all accidents, injuries and safety related issues and the analysis thereof.
• Formulating and updating of all Safety graphs.
• Monitoring of injured people.
• Holding of Safety meetings with Safety Representatives and Site Personnel.
• Safety induction of all ex-leave and new employees.
• Organizing and co-ordinating of all safety functions at the site.
• Organizing and controlling of internal and external audits at the sites.
• Compiling of minutes for all safety related meetings.
• Ensuring that all working places are visited at intervals as prescribed by the regulations.
• Compiling of all documentation for IOM inquiries in case of Fatals and serious injuries.
• Conducting Risk Assessments and compiling Reports - SWIFT, HAZOP and FMECA.
• Conducting Baseline risk assessments
• Introducing and Implementing the Behaviour Based Safety Process at BRPM (North Shaft.)
• Training of Middle Management, Employees and Coaches on Behaviour Intervention Technologies.
• Training of workforce on various Safety Related Issues (English and Fanakalo)
• Safety Training for ALL Team Leaders at RPM in Fanakalo.
• Occasionally Presenting Training Course for Learner Officials.
• Building presentations on Microsoft Power Point.
• Controlling traffic on the N4 at blasting time at Doornrug site during Blasting Activities.
• Conducting ISO compliance audits on the various Safety Management Systems I have worked with over the years such as: MSMS; NOSA; CAP; IRCA; IMS; etc.
• Managing the Safety Department and all it's activities.
Qualifications & Certifications
ISO9001 Auditors Course