Claim you profile
Strategic head of IT.
I am that prize that every company is after: the hybrid individual who can combine technical and business capabilities along with excellent communication skills.
GD Wessex - Business Development Director 2013 - Present
A joint venture operation, unlocking the business potential of PORTAL software from Graphical Data Ltd.
Head of IT
Gardline Marine Sciences Ltd
January 2009 - September 2012
Gardline Marine Sciences - Group Head of Information Systems 2009 - 2012
Responsible for IT / IS leadership within a multi-national market-leading offshore geological surveys business. Appointed as Head of IS to spearhead the overhaul of a dysfunctional ‘evolved’ legacy IT infrastructure. Focused on driving business value and agility through the adoption of enhanced IT solutions and architecture. Provided IT services to support diversification into renewable energies and environmental monitoring. Also held responsibility for all supplier and vendor management, driving efficiency savings and measuring service performance / KPIs. People management duties included staff recruitment, appraisals, staff training, development and coaching of key business support staff and IT personnel. Restructured the IT department which included the formalisation of roles, delivery of operational improvement, and the implementation of KPIs, accountability and performance reporting. Other duties included:
• Effectively stabilised legacy corporate infrastructure, adopting best practice, training and empowerment
• Introduced a high-reliability and scalable Data Centre virtualisation environment, providing flexible IT
• Introduced vessel-based business continuity methodologies, thereby securing the primary business product
• Conducted a programme of server upgrades or replacement, removing legacy infrastructure
• Introduced enterprise applications, based on MS-Dynamics, supporting international payroll administration and purchase order automation
• Successfully completed full software audits with Microsoft and AutoCAD, ensuring software compliance
• Achieved an integrated IT infrastructure, positioned to absorb enhanced business processes and needs
• Generated savings in excess of £2.5m by overhauling the vessel-based satellite voice and data networks, as well as savings in excess of £1m, through implementing global video conferencing systems across group offices, ships and B2C
September 2003 - December 2008
Longleaze Ltd - IT Director 2003 - 2008
IT Director with full responsibility for the provision of top-level business and IT consultancy, including interim management. Focused on working with a portfolio of blue-chip companies and SMEs to implement core IT strategies. Managed the provision of business-critical IT services and support, implementing integrated business and IT roadmaps. Responsible for the project planning, analysis, development, implementation and resource deployment management activities. Performed a full systems analysis on legacy infrastructure deployed for Hexcel Composites in Austria. Also supported the planning for an upgrade / replacement of core ERP systems, prior to deployment in Far East. Other IT Director responsibilities and achievements included:
• Worked through Logica CMG for Shell International Retail - supporting deployment of IT solutions
• Assisted with the deployment of new integrated IT solutions for retail sites throughout Central Europe
• The Stannah Group: Conducted analysis of IT deployment and integration into core business processes
• Reviewed legacy systems including ERP, Lotus Domino and Notes databases and in-house CAD systems
• Presented a strategic development plan to the Board of Directors, including remedial action across IT
• Restructured business systems for an international logistics organisation, establishing IT procedures / processes, and introducing business continuity measures, anti-virus products, and a coherent infrastructure designed to support the business. Included international vehicle tracking and PDA-based delivery systems
• Established on-line retailing and stock / product management systems for a speciality jewellery business
Head of IT
January 2001 - August 2003
Profiad Ltd - Head of IT 2001 - 2003
Head of IT responsible for spearheading the development of IT infrastructure to underpin European-based growth. Focused on the design and execution of IT infrastructure development plans, aligned IT with business needs. Reported to the executive board responsible for the strategic IT development, project planning, analysis, application development, implementation and resource deployment, as well as related IT management activities. Planned and deployed scalable solutions for the business, and worked closely in partnership with 2 major consultancies on IT solutions, KPMG and Accenture Ltd. Gave due-regard to good clinical practice, delivering web-enabled implementations and data migration. Additional duties / achievements as Head of IT included:
• Deployed Siebel eClinical (v7) into Profiad as a core business system, delivering a £1.5m+ CRM project
• Secured a failing IT infrastructure, introducing business continuity and disaster recovery capabilities
• Introduced unified messaging to eradicate data movement bottlenecks between Project Managers and the external research partners
• Led business process re-engineering, including placing core system hardware under high-quality outsourced hosted services
• Completed a full desktop hardware and software upgrade / replacement programme
• Introduced business perimeter security systems, securing remote access and eradicating virus risk
• Overhauled and stabilised voice and data communication services
Head of IT
January 1996 - December 2000
Shire Pharmaceuticals Group Plc - Head of IT 1996 - 2000
Head of IT fully responsible for the IT leadership and control within this speciality pharmaceutical company based in the UK. Designed and developed an all-encompassing IT environment to support long-term business growth. This involved the definition and execution of an IT development strategy aimed at leveraging maximum benefit from IT and IS, which helped develop the business into a £4.5bn FTSE100 group. Held full people management responsibilities for a global staff of 30+, as well as budget management duties for the control of £5m (CAPEX) and £3m+ (OPEX) budgets. Also responsible for the management of all IT outsourcing contracts, in addition to acting as a Consultant to the US subsidiaries. Other Head of IT responsibilities and achievements included:
• Ensured regulation compliance with data protocols, clinical regulations and US FDA standard 21CFR pt 11
• Strategic Architect and builder of all aspects of Shire Groups’ global IT infrastructure
• Created and managed the group-wide IT development and support teams
• Developed and implemented corporate IT business and R&D systems
• Advised on IT aspects of M&A activity, including managing the post-acquisition integration of IT systems
• Implemented global IT messaging solutions, including adoption of WANs, email and video conferencing
• Reviewed and implemented global ERP systems including business process reengineering and BCP
• Researched and implemented outsourced helpdesk and infrastructure maintenance / support services
• Introduced sector specific IT systems, specifically Clinical Trial management (CTMS) and Pharmacovigilence
• Satisfied with distinction of all aspects of an IT audit completed by the Medicines Control Agency (MCA)
• Produced an IT Infrastructure which directly facilitated corporate growth from £20m circa 30 staff to a global footprint, £4.5billion and circa 1500 staff, within 5 years
Systems Manager, Marine fuels and lubricants
Shell UK Oil Ltd
Shell UK Oil Ltd
Agrochemical Technical Information Officer
Shell International Chemical Company
Shell International Petroleum Company
Implemented Sieble 7 (eClinical) as the company primary software tool, for managing clinical trials for Pharmaceutical clients.
Shell UK ltd: migration to structured cabling and IP v4 from Token ring.
Shire Pharmaceuticals: introduction of structured cabling with Voice and data sharing common cables, and across a fibre-optic backbone.
Gardline Marine Sciences: introduction of layer 3 switching at every primary node throughout the corporate WAN/LAN. Establishing global WAN via corporate VPN through proprietary firewalls. Integrating diverse communication facilities (global DSL from a variety of international suppliers to international offices; Ship-borne Satellite IP networks from several differrent suppliers) to create one virtual Wide Area Network.
Desktop infrastructure upgrades have been completed at all businesses that I have been employed in as Head of IT; Shell UK (introducing OS/2 client server infrastructure), Shire Pharmaceuticals, (introducing Windows NT and MS-Office 98), Profiad Ltd (introducing Windows 2000 / Office 2000) Gardline Marine Sciences (standardising on Windows server 2008r2, with Windows XP / 7 on the desk/lap tops with Office 2007 as the application base.
1st ERP implementation was at Shell UK Marine division, where I was the technical lead on a bespoke and IBM AS/400 based implementation of an international fuels bunkering and marketing system.
At Shire Pharmaceuticals I was Head of IT, responsible for an initial UK-based ERP implementation using the SSA BPCS system (as an alternative to the more financially-orientated J.D.Edwards) - This initial implementation was later upgraded to encompass multi-currency and multi-time zone capabilities; my final iteration provided a robust business-continuity solution, based upon real-time data duplication to a secondary platform.
Is this your profile?
If this is your profile, then you can claim it now and log into your account.
We will need to verify your account and email address before you can log in. To claim your profile now, please use the 'Claim Profile' button below.
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more