Chief Information Officer
A meticulous, motivated and highly versatile CIO, ranked in the top most influential in the industry, with rich technical skills, hands-on IM management experience and proven expertise across strategic planning, ERP, M&A, disaster recovery, change management, HR, relationship management, risk management, cost control and more gained in highly competitive settings
A proactive leader with business/technical acumen, a passion to deliver, and the organisational prowess and natural ability and tools to define goals and plan and successfully implement robust solutions using clear precise terms
An innovative and resourceful professional, with extensive interpersonal, communication and organisational expertise, and a proven track record leading teams to meet deadlines, deliver results and surpass targets regardless of pressure
A Strategic Information Technology Director and CIO with outstanding international career in the airline, transport, defense and UN sectors. A Unique combination of commercial, managerial & technical expertise having served both in the Public and Private Sector.
Directed major projects worldwide from conception to implementation, leading multi-disciplinary teams of 550+ staff.
Results-driven and customer-focused. Excellent interpersonal skills with diverse stakeholders: a natural leader and persuasive negotiator.
CIO - Chief Information Officer & Director
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
• Leading ICT Division with 150 staff based in Geneva and 506 staff based Globally around the world
• Managing an Operating budget of $57m and a Capital budget of $50m
• Successfully implemented a massive program of Organisational Change in setting up an effective and efficient IT organization. Part of this change was moving roles from the Head Office location of Geneva to the field locations at the point of delivery
• Identified the services that can be sourced under a managed services agreement for a number of systems
• Undertaking a new Program for Refugee Registration system using bio-metrics and new technologies that will work in deep field locations
• Implementing Skype and increasing the WAN network in tough locations where the challenges are ranging from the terrain to political to legislation.
• Leading a large Programme of Infrastructure upgrade, messaging system (Groupwise to Outlook); Windows XP to Windows 7, introducing unified communication and VOIP, Identity Management
• Implementing CISCO ISR technology and application acceleration software including Riverbed
• Led the introduction of Sharepoint right across the organization
• Set up Digital unit, encompassing, Web Collaboration & Design along with challenges of Big Data
• Successfully outsourced application development, maintenance & support, VSAT implementation, MPLS rollout, Infrastructure Support and unified Communication.
• Successfully implemented Resulted Based Management tool and upgrade of Peoplesoft System
CIO - Chief Information Officer
Raytheon Systems Limited
• Leading IT & S Division to align with the business needs and recently re-structured the department with four work streams: Business Services; Project, Portfolio and Program Management(P3O) ; Operations (Infrastructure, Networks, Solution Development & Service Delivery) and Security , Audit and Compliance. Used SFIA extensively with Career Development module.
• Provide desktop support to 2000 users and manage outsourced contracts on a major program for the UK Government.(£20.5bn)
• Incharge of 3 data centres for the above program and 1 for normal operations.
• Providing overall direction of technology functions across 5 different business units, with P&L responsibility of £7m.
• Championed and achieved 100% specialist 6sigma specialist level throughout the department. There are 5 Green Belt specialists , 3 Prince 2 Practitioners and 5 ITIL Service Management level while the rest of the department has received a ITIL foundation and overview course.
• Championed the BCS(British Computer Society) membership for all staff leading upto the full program of career development and SFIA (Skills Framework For Information Age) now fully implemented and launched.
• Work very closely with Raytheon Corporate developing Global IT policies, including security, infrastructure and using CMMI (Level 4) and EVMS. Introduced COBIT governance framework which has proved very useful.
• Participate in regular industry meeting in the defense and general industry matters , including being a speaker at some recent events.
• Introduced a mentor/mentee program for career development and I am currently championing a graduate intake program for the IT division.
CIT Strategic Infrastructure Consultant
Dept of Works and Pensions
January 2008 - August 2008
Undertook an assignment of identifying legacy service circuits ( DELs, Feature Line, FeatureNet, ISDNs, Private Circuits , etc.) that are no longer required by DWP due to upgraded technology. Negotiated with the business (major stakeholders) and the suppliers to reach an agreement on cost, delivery dates and process for successful terminations. I have delivered a saving of £3.2m.
Head of Group IM Service Delivery & Support
Transport for London
• Leading Group IM Service Delivery and Support Department providing LAN, WAN and MAN support. Responsible for 10,000+ desktop support and outsourcing of contracts: Network (£400m) and Desktop (£350m); plus providing overall direction of technology functions across 11 different business units, with P&L responsibility of £5m.
• Brought London Underground, Surface Transport and the Corporate division within a single supply contract resulting in true cost saving of£11.1m plus increase in customer satisfaction rating from 58% to 72%.
• Championed and published the IM Policy and Procedures documents on Service Delivery, IT Security Policy, Out-Sourcing and Managed Services.
• Recruited and set up the Service Delivery teams, SAP Competency Centre staff and Archives & Records Management Teams - 3 distinct areas requiring different skill sets, processes and tools.
• Achieved business efficiencies through successfully implementing Cost Re-Charging models and Total Cost of Ownership - saved Corporate division another £75m direct cost
• Initiated and implemented an IM Graduate Program, hiring 10 graduates annually and setting up a 2 year development program and work placements in all IM divisions
• Led successful roll-out of Windows XP to approximately 10,000 users.
• Oversaw design, negotiation and migration to the San for a full back-up system.
• Initiated IM Organisation Development program- 7 work streams: Skills & Competency, Knowledge Retention, Graduate Recruitment, Performance Management, Organisational Benchmarking, Management Development & OD Policy.
SITA, London & Geneva
• Responsible for the Cargo system (which hosted 65 major world airlines) and the Production Department, comprising of functional help desk (24x7x365), coverage team and maintenance team
• Subsequently managed 550+ technical staff globally heading 5 major Data Centers located in London, Atlanta, Singapore, Montreal and Sydney
• Successfully Outsourced Atlanta Data centre, liaising with major suppliers - ECM, IBM, StorageTek, Amdahl and others - negotiating contracts, technical solutions, and ensuring full move of all hardware and migration of all data and software. Achieved revenue saving of $82m. Co-located the London Data Centre into a shared location bringing the system availability times to 99.999% with N+1resilience.
• Successfully headed Y2K project for SITA based at corporate head office in Geneva and subsequently headed SITA'S Corporate Risk & Insurance Department, implementing world-wide insurance program for properties and product liability
• Regularly provided technical support, internationally, to the commercial sales & marketing teams, delivering increased demand for SITA's services, assisting with contract renewals and winning new business
• Improved Customer Satisfaction rating from 2.8 to 7.8 (scale of 1-10) within a year.
• Developed excellent customer relationships and good industry profile: ensured daily system availability of 99.7%; resolved commercial issues during and after program implementation; regularly attended user meetings of both functional and technical nature; visited a majority of the airlines once a year; and represented SITA at industry meetings with IATA, IBM, ICAO and other trade fairs.
• Monitored and reviewed the Project and Programme pipeline both for in-sourced and out-sourced work.
Kuwait Airways, Kuwait
• Built a Data centre from scratch, leading a team of 8 programmers, designing the computer room and owning the computer infrastructure and software. Met the considerable challenge including sensitive cross-cultural issues, delivering the system on time and within the $9.2m budget.
• Implemented the Reservations and Departure Control System with full authority on setting up standards for coverage, documentation, change management and training new programmers.
• Produced full training documentation including technical guides and user guides, which were circulated worldwide to all KU stations.
• Had contract renewed twice to implement further enhancements, e.g., QUADS (Qantas Universal Availability Display System); Advanced Seat Selection system from CP Air, Sales Agent Reporting from KLM, SAS: Statistical Advanced Systems and other functionalities.
• Implemented SAS statistical package for users and trained all functional and technical staff.
Senior Computer Project Officer
• Worked on BABS as a Senior System Analyst in-charge of teams of up to 10 staff.
• Undertook full development cycles and with very successful management of projects.
• Pioneered the first Frequent Flyer Program at British Airways.
• Worked on joint Fares project with Pan-AM and was re-located to New York
• Appointed as a tutor to the new Graduate IM trainees who joined the department as I was seen as an ideal role model for work ethics, business acumen and technical abilities.
• Led the feasibility and through to implementation of the VIP system for British Airways
• Championed and implanted the first Yield Control system for airlines
• Conducted full system design and implementation of the British Airways Tours and Hotels system
Qualifications & Certifications
University of London
British Institute of Management
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more