Chief Financial Officer
Dawani Group Holding B. S. C - Bahrain
From October 2011
Dawani Group Holding B. S. C. (closed) is a reputed group of companies in Bahrain which is located in Sitra Industrial Area. It mainly consists of Deeko Bahrain WLL, Dawanco Industries WLL, Dawanco WLL, Dawani Properties SPC, Tomina Trading WLL, Bahrain Surface Coating Company WLL & Collection WLL. Different companies deal with different manufacturing and trading activities and hence it is a diversified group of companies. Deeko Bahrain WLL deals with Aluminum and paper food packaging and wrapping products and Dawanco Industries deals with plastic food packaging products. Dawanco WLL imports and trade food packaging products which Deeko or Dawanco Industries does not produce. Dawani Properties deal with Real Estate activities. Tomina and Baharain Surface Coating Company are deal with paint and floor coating functions. Collection WLL deals with branded clothes selling activities. This group belongs to Baharini shareholders and has a history of 25 years.
I'm responsible for all the functions of Accounts & Finance Department and directly report to the Managing Director. There are Chief Accountant and the Management & Cost Accountant who are heading each sub divisions of the Accounts and Finance Department, i.e., Accounts section and Costing section. There are further 3 Senior Accountants who look after daily functions of the department, i.e. AR functions, Banking functions and costing functions. Total finance team includes 14 staff. All finance functions for Deeko Bahrain, Dawanco Industries, Dawanco WLL are centralized and handle by one location and other companies are handled as individual units with separate Accountants.
Experience profile at Dawani Group includes the followings.
1. Prepare monthly Group (Consolidated) financials and MIS reports.
2. Prepare annual budgets of the group.
3. Review monthly / quarterly pricing and recommend price increases / decreases based on the requirement.
4. Review special price requests...
Deputy General Manager - Finance
Ceat Sri Lanka
October 2008 - September 2011
Period of Service October 2008 - September 2011
Ceat Sri Lanka mainly consists of three tyre manufacturing companies namely Ceat Kelani International Tyres (Pvt) Ltd, Associated Ceat (Pvt) Ltd, Ceat Kelani Radials (Pvt) Ltd. Ceat Kelani Holdings (Pvt) Ltd is the Holding company of these 3 companies and it is a Joint Venture formed in 1999 between Kelani Tyres Plc and Ceat India. Among three companies Associated Ceat (Pvt) Ltd is a BOI company who does Exports more than 50% of the production. The main brand name of the tyre is "CEAT", and catering local market covering 60% of the market share and some Export markets covering India, Middle East, South Africa, Pakistan, etc. Ceat Sri Lanka is the only tyre company who supply 100% to all the government institutions in Sri Lanka.
It manufactures both Bias & Radial tyres.
I'm responsible for all the functions of Finance Department and directly report to the Vice President Finance & IT. There is a Senior Manager - Accounts who looks after day to day accounting functions including monthly MIS. There are 21 other Executives and Accounts Assistants. All finance functions are centralized and handle by one location for the whole JV.
Experience profile at Ceat Sri Lanka includes the followings.
1. Prepare weekly projected cash flows and comparison between actual results.
2. Organize relevant facilities viz. Working Capital & Long Term Financing Facilities as and when necessary and negotiate for enhancements of such facilities with Bankers.
3. Overlook monthly MIS, Annual Audited Financial Statements and liaising with Statutory Auditors for successful Annual Financial Statements.
4. Heading Cost Innovative Team of CEAT Sri Lanka to improve cost saving efficiency.
5. Responsible on Annual Budget preparation.
6. Evaluate internal controls of the organization and recommend new controls based on requirement.
7. Preparation and submission on Management Reports to the Chairman & Board.
April 2007 - October 2008
HVA Group mainly consists of two Tea Export Companies namely HVA Lanka Exports (Pvt) Ltd and HVA Foods (Pvt) Ltd. HVA Lanka Exports (Pvt) Ltd is the parent company which was established in 1990. HVA Foods (Pvt) Ltd is a BOI company which was established in 1996. The main brand name of the product is "HELADIV", and very recently concentrated on local market.
Apart from tea, the group is focusing on new products as Ready to drink - Ice Tea, Tea mouth wash, Tea bath, Tea tablets, Tea dye, Tea facial mask, etc.
I was responsible for the functions of Finance Department and Stores and directly reporting to the Chairman. Finance team headed by 3 other Accountants as Financial Accountant, Treasury Accountant and Cost Accountant. There are four other Executives and Accounts Assistants. An Executive handles stores and supporting staff includes one store assistant and 2 labourers. All finance and stores functions are centralized and handle by one location for the whole group.
Experience profile at HVA Group includes the followings.
1. Prepare weekly projected cash flows.
1. Organize relevant facilities (Pre shipment and Post shipment) as and when necessary and negotiate for enhancements of such facilities with Bankers.
1. Preparation of Annual Budgets to the group.
1. Evaluate internal controls of the organization and recommend new controls based on requirement.
1. Preparation and submission on Management Reports to the Chairman, weekly meeting and to the Board.
1. Organizing monthly Board Meetings.
1. Attend to weekly production and buying meetings and monthly Board Meeting.
1. Liaising with Production and Marketing personnel to increase efficiency and profitability of the organization.
1. Overlook financial accounting functions and responsible to provide monthly management accounts with management commentary and variance analysis to the Chairman, Advisor and Banks.
1. Prepare project proposals as and when need arises.
Star Garments Ltd
May 2004 - April 2007
Star Garments Ltd is a Limited Liability Company registered under Section 17 of Board of Investment Act. This is a group of companies, which consists of five main operating companies covering eight factories.
The group deals with manufacturing ladies fashionable garments for exports. The Head Office and few factories are located at Katunayake Export Processing Zone. Whole group employs over 8000 employees. Fabric and many accessories are imported and use for manufacturing and main buyers are based in USA, Italy, Mexico, etc.
Finance Department of Star Garments Ltd is mainly consists of four sections namely Finance, Costing, Payroll and Inventory. Further, whole group finance activities are centralized and I was the Head of Finance section. I was directly reporting to the Group Financial Controller and Vice President - IT and Finance. I joined there as Factory Accountant and got a promotion in June 2005 to look after whole group finance activities. I was supervising Factory Accountants, Assistant Accountants, Accounts Executives and Accounts Clerks.
The Experience Profile at Star Garments Ltd includes the followings.
1. Preparation of monthly Group Cash Flow.
1. Preparation of all managerial reports requested by management in Sri Lanka, New York and Hong Kong.
1. Preparation of monthly / annual consolidated financial statements and tax computations when working as a Factory Accountant and over looking such functions and handling main issues with the Statutory Auditors / IRD after became the Group Accountant.
1. Initiator and in-charge of Head Office accounting package / unit (New York) with Sri Lankan staff.
1. Handling tax matters with the Department of Inland Revenue.
1. Group Treasury Management.
1. Handling forward exchange contracts.
1. Coordination of banking functions.
1. Handling VAT suspensions and relevant guarantees.
1. Approving payments.
1. Evaluating / introducing internal control systems.
Swiss Lollyd Ltd
February 2003 - January 2004
Sri Lanka Designation The Accountant Period of Service February 2003 - January 2004
Swiss Lollyd Ltd is an unquoted Limited Liability Company which provides services as a trading organization. It imports and sells locally mainly chemicals, feed industry items, etc.
Finance Department of Swiss Lollyd Ltd is mainly consists of six employees. I was the Head of Finance Department and directly reported to the Managing Director, who was the main shareholder.
The Experience Profile at Swiss Lollyd Ltd includes the followings.
1. Preparation of Weekly Projected Cash Flow.
1. Treasury Management.
1. Handling short term investments such as overnight Repos, Call Deposits
1. Handling tax matters with the Department of Inland Revenue.
1. Preparation of monthly / annual financial statements and tax computations.
1. Preparation of weekly product variance analysis reports.
1. Checking product budgets prepare by Marketing team and eliminating unnecessary imports based on stocks.
1. Authorization of finance documents / vouchers.
1. Responsible for providing timely, weekly and monthly management reports.
1. Coordinate with bankers and statutory auditors.
PREVIOUS EMPLOYMENTS - IV
Company / Group
S. J. M. S. Associates,
Period of Service
S.J.M.S. Associates. A firm of Chartered Accountants
October 1999 - November 2002
S.J.M.S. Associates. A firm of Chartered Accountants is a multi disciplinary professional service organization, which represents worldwide Chartered accounting firm. The firm focuses on improving competitiveness of business through the provision of assurance and business advisory, business consulting, information technology, economic and financial consulting, business and tax advisory, corporate recovery service and recruitment services.
During my period at SJMS Associates, I engaged in External (Statutory) Audits, Internal Audits as well as the special assignments in different areas such as book-keeping, investigations, bank reconciliation, physical verifications of inventories and fixed assets. I gained experience in many industries except hotels and commercial banks. During my period of 36 months, I worked as a junior under supervision of a senior audit trainee and then being promoted as a senior. During this period I was directly reporting to Audit Managers and Audit Partners and two to ten staff were working under my supervision on each assignment.
The capabilities and experience I gained as follows.
1. To be an enthusiastic team player and a responsible person for given assignment.
1. In handling assignments / tasks to meet client requirement.
1. To organize and implement projects.
1. Managing the resources allocated to meet deadlines.
1. Familiarized with Statutory and Accounting Standard requirements.
1. Familiarized with corporate and personal tax computations, other taxes and levies of the Department of Inland Revenue, and tax Administration.
1. Able to prepare Financial Statements.
1. Able to identify weaknesses in systems and recommendations to overcome those weaknesses.
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Power Point, Lotus 123
Accounting packages - ACCPAC, Quick Book Pro, Ex Generation, TALLY
Qualifications & Certifications
University of Sri Jayawardenepura
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more