- Full time
- Part time
- One time
Chief, statistics Division
Arab Monetary Fund
From March 2011
Supervising of and participating in implementing tasks and plans to achieve goals and strategies paramount of which the upgrading and expanding the AMF's macroeconomic indicators database; maintaining and enhancing cooperation with pertinent regional and international economic entities concerning recent economic developments and macroeconomic indicators; preparing periodic statistical publications, namely the annual Statistical Bulletin of the Arab Countries and the statistical annexes of the annual Joint Arab Economic Report (JAER). The new position at the AMF also involves many tasks and engagements I used to undertake as a Senior Economist.
Arab Countries," Arabic
From March 2008
Assessment of Jordan's Qualified Industrial Zones and its Free Trade Agreement with the United States," Arabic, October 2006.
• "Domestic Macroeconomic Impact of Workers' Remittances from GCC Countries," Arabic, May 2006. Published without reference to authors in the Joint Arab Economic Report 2008, and prepared in collaboration with colleagues.
• Participating in the Arab Monetary Fund's missions to Arab countries to evaluate economic performance, assess technical assistance needs and monitor the execution of economic reform programs that are supported by loans extended by the AMF. Countries covered included Lebanon, Morocco, Sudan, Syria, Yemen and Mauritania. The period covered 2006-2011.
• Editing Team member of the Joint Arab Economic Report (JAER), which is an annual publication prepared jointly by the Arab Monetary Fund, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development, the Organization of Arab Petroleum Countries (OAPEC) and the General Secretariat of the Arab League. JAER is the most comprehensive report about economic developments in the Arab countries. I also prepare the chapters on public finance and external public indebtedness, and revise some chapters in JAER.
Crude Oil Prices
From February 2005
Evaluation of Investment Portfolio of Jordan's Industrial Development Bank," English, December 2001.Prepared in collaboration with colleagues.
• "Dubai's Competitive Status Compared with Selected Economic Centers," Arabic, April 1999, major study. The study included building an index based on major factors and many sub factors affecting investors' preference of one center over another. The study compared Dubai with Singapore, India, Malaysia, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh, Oman, Bahrain and Kuwait.
• "Investment Opportunities Project," (Establishing an Investment Promotion Function at the Department of Economic Development), Arabic, June 1997.
Senior Economist, Economic and Technical Department
September 2004 - February 2011
Undertaking macroeconomic research and advancing policy recommendations on Arab economies and pertinent global economic developments. Areas covered include monetary policy, fiscal policy, external and domestic public debt, foreign trade, foreign direct investment, the oil sector, among others. Participating in AMF's missions to Arab countries to evaluate economic performance, assess technical assistance needs and monitor the execution of economic reform programmes that are supported by loans extended by the AMF. Collaborating with colleagues in preparing, revising and editing the JAER.
JORDAN'S INSURANCE COMMISSION
From January 2004
Positioning Jordan as a Global and Regional Insurance Center," English, June 2004.
OTHER MAJOR STUDIES
• "Performance and Reforms of the Banking Sector in the Arab Countries," Arabic, July 2008. Published without reference to authors in the Joint Arab Economic Report 2008, and prepared in collaboration with colleagues.
Development of the Insurance Sector in Jordan
Insurance Sector in Jordan," English
From July 2001
THE EUROPEAN UNION'S COMMISSION IN JORDAN
Small and Medium Size Enterprises
From July 2000
A JOINT JORDANIAN-FOREIGN INVESTMENT VENTURE
• "Long-term Demand for Crude Oil in Jordan," English, July 2002. The study was prepared on behalf of an investor to participate in the Jordanian tender to construct the planned Iraqi-Jordanian Pipeline. The study forecast demand for crude oil and petroleum products in Jordan up to 2030.
THE DUBAI INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL CENTER (DIFC)
• "The Impact of Dubai International Financial Center (DIFC) on the Domestic and Regional Economies," English, July 2003. Prepared in collaboration with colleagues.
Jordan Investment Trust Company
September 1999 - September 2004
Performing and directing research pertaining to the Jordanian economy covering various sectors on the macroeconomic and microeconomic levels. Analyzing major economic and financial developments on the global and regional levels and extending policy advice in this regard to the CEO and other departments of the company. Preparing the company's publications such as annual and semi-annual reports and its weekly economic and financial newsletter.
Dubai's Non-Oil Foreign Trade
From March 1997
"Ways and Means of Organizing and Developing Fish Resources in the Emirate of Dubai," Arabic, Sep. 1998.
Member of the evaluation committee and lecturer on feasibility studies
Evaluation Criteria of Training Programme
From April 1995
How to Start a Small Economic Project in Dubai," Arabic, April 1995. The Programme was organized by Dubai's Department of Economic Development.
Department of Economic Development (DED) of the Government of Dubai
December 1994 - August 1999
Undertaking research on various macro- and microeconomic issues and extending advice and policy recommendations to decision makers at the Department. Fields covered are economic planning, new development programs and projects, national income accounts, commercial companies formation and licensing, investment promotion, foreign trade, comparative competitiveness, local government indirect taxes and fees, real estate market and economic sectors' growth potential.
Planning and Evaluation Officer, United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), Amman, Jordan, June 15, 1994-Nov. 1, 1994. Undertaking organizational, operational and related studies and performing planning and evaluation studies of the efficiency and effectiveness of UNRWA work methods and resource utilization.
Senior Economic Researcher
German Agency for Technical Cooperation
February 1993 - June 1994
Determining the information required by decision-makers at the Ministry of Industry and Trade to set policy in the industrial, foreign trade & other sectors as part of Jordan's National Information System Project. Perform macroeconomic and microeconomic studies on Jordan.
Government of Jordan's Commission on the "Quarterly Forecasting of Jordan
s National Income Accounts, Balance of Payments and Government's Budget," 1992-1994.
• Representing Jordan's Ministry of Industry and Trade in negotiations with USAID mission on the implementation of Trade and Investment Policy Reform Programme for Jordan, which was agreed upon between the governments of the United States and Jordan, July 1992.
Government of Jordan's
From January 1992
The Commission was formed to assess the total cost and benefit of the proposed reduction of the ceiling on axle loads on vehicles to save the road network of the country.
member of a Government's commission co-author of final report on findings
Status and Policy Recommendations," Arabic
From December 1992
• "Assessment of the Losses Suffered by Jordan due to the Gulf Crisis", (member of a Government's commission co-author of final report on findings), Arabic, August 1991. Related research on the subject included:
➢ "Effects of the Gulf Crisis on the Economy of Jordan and Proposals of New Alternative Policies," Arabic, October 1990.
Government of Jordan's
commission on the "Assessment of Losses Suffered by Jordan and Jordanian citizens due to the First Gulf War," summer 1991. The purpose of the Commission was to determine total economic ramifications of the War on Jordan for policy purposes and for estimating requests for compensations.
• "Jordanian Insurance Sector: Prospects of Concentration, Part Two," Arabic and English, August 2000. Prepared in collaboration with colleagues.
• "Ownership Structure & Financial Overview of Jordanian Insurance Companies," (Annex to Part Two of the insurance study), English, August 2000. Prepared in collaboration with colleagues.
United Nations Industrial Development Organization's
October 1990 - December 1992
addition, I represented the Ministry of Industry and Trade in specialized governmental committees and coordinated, on behalf of the Ministry, with visiting missions of bilateral and multilateral donor agencies.
Gulf Crisis on the Manufacturing Industry of Jordan," Arabic
From November 1990
Suggested Policies to Counter the Effects of the Gulf Crises on Jordan's Industrial Sector," Arabic, December 1990.
• "Source Document on the Economy of Jordan", Arabic, April 1989.This paper was written after the social upheaval in Jordan following the decline in the exchange rate of the Jordanian dinar and the subsequent agreement with the IMF on the First Structural Adjustment Programme. Related research on the subject included:
➢ "Effects of Foreign Currency Control Regulations on the Economy of Jordan," English, October 1988.
Fixed Exchange Rate System," Arabic
From February 1989
"External Public Debt Rescheduling," English, March 1989.
"On Reinstating Foreign Currency Exchange Establishments in Jordan", Arabic
From May 1989
"Proposed Changes of Tariff Rates on Jordan's Imports of Vehicles," Arabic, October 1991.
Untied Nations Development Programme
Jordan's Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation
September 1988 - November 1989
particular, these policies covered foreign currency control regulations, external debt, investment encouragement, economic development and some other pertinent macroeconomic issues.
Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Economics
Department of Economics, University of Michigan
Teaching principles of macroeconomics to two sections, one in the undergraduate programme and the other in the continuing education programme.
Instructor, Department of Economics
Michigan State University
Teaching macroeconomic principles while working on my doctorate degree.
Principles of Macroeconomics, Department of Economics, University of Michigan
-Flint, winter 1987.
Principles of Macroeconomics, Department of Economics, Michigan State University, spring 1985.
Graduate Assistant, Department of Economics
Michigan State University
UN/ESCWA fellowship 1981-1984; Instructorship ;Graduate Assistantships.
SPECIAL STUDIES PRODUCED FOR:
A LEADING JORDANIAN INSURANCE COMPANY
• "Jordanian Insurance Sector: Status and Prospects of Insurance Operations, Part One," Arabic and English, May 2000. Prepared in collaboration with colleagues.
• Presenting a major study on the "The Effects of the Global Financial Crisis on the Arab Oil and Natural Gas Exporting Countries" symposium, which was organized by the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC) in Damascus, Syria in November 22-24, 2010.
Multi-Cultural Affairs, Special Services Programme, University of Nebraska
Providing tutoring in economics, statistics and mathematics to undergraduate students nominated by the programme.
Research Assistant, The Arab Planning Institute, Kuwait
July 1977 - August 1978
and May-September 1980. Conducted studies on Arab economics and patterns of economic development in the Arab World. Awarded a scholarship from the Institute for Ph. D. studies at Michigan State University.
Talal Abu-Ghazaleh Associates
March 1976 - July 1977
The job in the Business Consultancy Department covered advising clients on taxation procedures and establishment requirements for new business and other technical matters.
Amman, Foreign Relations Department
August 1975 - February 1976
The job included the follow-up on Jordanian Government reserves invested in foreign banks and analysis of international business and financial news.
Qualifications & Certifications
Ibn Sina SchoolM Amman, Jordan
Michigan State University
University of Nebraska
The American University of Beirut