Fifteen years of management experience in large and complex manufacturing environments, Boeing of Canada, New Flyer Industries and ITB.
Reputed as a lean/continuous improvement specialist and change leader.
Consistent track record of increasing company profits and value through achieving dramatic cost reductions while improving efficiency, product quality, morale, safety, corporate image and staff performance.
Key areas of expertise: production and operations management; warehousing; inventory control; maintenance; quality assurance; design engineering; procurement; and human resources.
Excellent technical and mechanical aptitude. Exceptional abilities in problem solving production, systems and personnel issues to ensure achievement of goals and schedules.
Implements a “daily management” approach, a systematic, fact-based, goal oriented, active style of leadership to maximize operational performance.
Provided effective leadership to management, technical, professional and production staff. Supervised 45-250 unionized personnel in varied manufacturing settings. Skilled in team building, supervising, training, coaching, engaging and realigning personnel. Experience in interpreting collective agreements and participating in collective bargaining.
IT savvy with experience in piloting and revising information technology systems. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, Cincom (HR), ERP and MRP systems for production planning, budgeting, work/staff scheduling, tracking and reporting.
ITB Intercontinental Truck Body (Man) Inc
Recruited as a change agent for a troubled production plant. Focused on directing and restructuring of production, warehouse, stores, maintenance, engineering and purchasing departments in a company specializing in commercial truck manufacturing.
* Within six months, reduced material, labour and production costs by $650,000. Retained key accounts and grew new business through corporate image enhancements and delivering on promises.
* Transformed a plant with backorders of up to one year to a company offering on-time delivery.
* Instituted and trained all staff on the 5S's (organization, neatness, cleaning, standardization and discipline) to eliminate material waste and safety incidents while improving production and morale.
* Utilizing lean manufacturing methods, reorganized inventory control processes and the warehouse layout that significantly increased workflows, reduced dead inventory and improved cash flow.
* Created production scheduling and tracking systems to ensure achievement of goals.
* Streamlined attendance and discipline policies to resolve personnel issues. Right sized personnel through effective hiring and termination practices.
* Redefined production procedures with the engineering team to improve product quality, production flow, cost savings and customer relations.
* Restructured organizational chart to define positions and realign responsibilities to maximize resources. Analyzed all management and support positions to identify gaps.
MANUFACTURING CELL LEADER
New Flyer Industries Inc
Hired as a lean specialist to improve 5S and lean programs in several bus production departments.
* Managed scheduling, planning, quality assurance, inventory control, preventative maintenance and equipment maintenance.
* Directed two supervisors, engineering, planning and scheduling staff, and 85 production employees.
* Achieved 5S and lean audit awards for increasing efficiencies in cells from 25% to 98%.
* Resolved production delays by revamping production processes.
* Reduced quality defects through process changes and negotiating solutions with suppliers to improve quality of raw materials.
* Implemented a new human resource philosophy to eliminate employee issues related to conduct, morale, performance and teamwork. Introduced coaching and training programs, empowered employees and utilized employee feedback to ensure continuous improvements.
* Improved production scheduling processes.
* Revitalized the just-in-time system to optimize inventory levels.
* Enhanced communications with all department managers to collaborate on goal achievement.
Boeing of Canada
Directed the Maintenance, Stores, Shipping/Receiving and Security Depts., and four Production Cells
* Provided leadership to six direct reports (planners, engineer and manufacturing scheduler) supervising a total unionized staff complement of 150 personnel. Trained and developed employees.
• Coordinated plant relocation to a smaller facility and designed building layout using lean manufacturing tools to maximize work flow.
• Introduced 5S and lean strategies for production areas that reduced square footage by 30%.
• Doubled production of the 747 Boeing program and generated a 33% production increase for the 767 Boeing aircraft program.
• Developed a strategy and headed a team to secure new suppliers for Boeing 747 parts during a key supplier shutdown; rectifying an emergency situation. Acted a consultant to new suppliers to change processes to serve Boeing's needs.
• Selected to concurrently lead the turnaround of the 787 Program and CNC Trim Dept. Redeveloped costing, budgeting and IT systems. Created a new cell to organize rejected parts (in a program with 4000 parts). Restructured duties of expeditors to improve product flow in the 787 Program. Significantly reduced engineering costs, in decreasing time for repair authorizations from 8 hours to 20 minutes. Increased total production flow by one day. Successfully used Kaizen, Lean and AIW to develop process improvements for better product flow and cost reductions in the CNC Trim Dept.
• Participated in numerous task forces that generated multi-million dollar savings.
• Progressively promoted to more responsible leadership roles. Prior positions included:
SHIFT MANAGER (1997 - 2000), QUALITY AIRCRAFT LEAD INSPECTOR (1988 - 1997), and AIRCRAFT ASSEMBLY MECHANIC (1980 - 1988)
Chosen as the fire chief focal to manage safety and emergency incidents with security, police and fire departments. Headed a revised companywide anger management program. Led inspection processes to comply with Transport Canada regulations. Launched the 777 aircraft program and acted as the quality assurance focal for a $5 million dollar tool redesign for the 767 aircraft. Directed up to 250 unionized personnel on the midnight shift as a shift manager.
Qualifications & Certifications
Boeing Leadership Center, St. Louis
Accounting for Managers
University of Manitoba
Canadian Institute of Management/University of Manitoba
Red River College