As an experienced Senior Manager in Construction, Information Technology and Supply Chain Management Industries, my tenacious and proactive approach resulted in focussing on Core business activity, Business modelling, Risk management, Cost saving, successful project implementations, Key accounts wins, sustaining achievements, Succession planning for organizations I have worked for.
My system based management skills have put the departments I have headed in the correct perspective limiting the number of issues landing on my table, my prioritizing skills have ensured important issues are handled first, while managing urgent ones, focusing on core responsibilities to produce sustainable results for my companies.
For instance skilful contract documentation earned 46% of my Company's total revenue in 2013. Focus on vital client leads, and my ability to develop client relationships resulted in 23% average monthly increase in new business for my organization in 2014. Existing and new clients will be impressed with my meticulous, personal attention to detail, friendly and professional manner in leaving a lasting impression in their minds for repeat business.
Skilled in Analysing Critical Success Factors, Corporate Culture and work study and design the right Financial & Risk Mgt system and Reporting tools for Cost effective, Profitable and sustainable organizational performance and visible results.
The Vision Shipping & Logistics LLC
From June 2012
The Vision Shipping LLC is the Dubai branch of the TVSL Group in Karachi focusing on Shipping and Logistics opportunities in the Construction Industry and facilitate building materials trade. The Company is in the Shipping and Logistics Industry located near the Cargo Village in Dubai. The Company moves Cargo by Air, Sea, Land across the world to Dubai and vice versa. Warehousing and Logistics forms another cornerstone of the company's business activities offering 3PL Logistics services for FMCG Industries.
Advanced Cost analysis, bid evaluation and negotiation skills enabled current Company (TVSL) to be 2% more price competitive in procurement winning a long term contract for 3PL Logistics for Sugar
TVSL – Sugar project, DWC transportation, Hospital equipment Logistics Jordan, Perfume logistics
Negotiated 32% of the funding requirements for the Dubai branch operations and banking facilities for day to day operations
Won 40% of contracts for the company in import, export, cross trade, warehousing and distribution of Building Materials, Steel Components, Vehicles, Food, Petroleum products, Tyres, Beverages, , Oil Field Supplies, medical Equipment, , Perfumes etc. into local and overseas markets.
Doubled capacity for Integrated multimodal Sea, Air, and Land transportation of goods in the middle East and rest of the world
Leased large Warehouses with over 25,000 pallet positions at competitive price for 3PL as per customer requirements
Al Taher Group
June 2009 - June 2012
Established in 1977, Al Taher Group is one of the pioneers in the Construction & Building materials Industry selling to construction contractors.
· Close relationship with Suppliers and Customers to integrate our purchasing, manufacturing and Logistics activities resulted in 22% reduction of investment in inventory and 3% increase in profitability for Al Taher
· Understanding of global supply chain metrics for steel re-bars and sound legal knowledge of UAE enabled me to abrogate from an overseas Sales contract in 2009 saving AED 16 million for Al Taher Group and getting court order to refund advance 10% cash advance when supply prices tumbled more than 60% in the world markets due to global financial Crisis
· Contract manufacturing of Plywood in China under company’s brand after market research, study product sensitivities for price, quantity, quality, market practices, discounts, features and major markets and uses
· Introduced Logistics & supply chain management for import export
· Reduced overheads by 22% over 2 years
· Reduced bad debts from 4% to less than 1% over 2 year period
· Reduced owners risk by changing the business structure confronted with GFC after 2008
· Built financial discipline, budgets Review and periodic reporting
· Achieved ISO 9000 Quality Process certification for the Company
· Improved Customer communication through Web presence and Social media
· Succession planning for the family business
Manager, Finance & Administration
Gulf Dura Industries LLC
September 2008 - May 2009
GGICO is a Dubai Financial Market listed public Co. established since 1973. A conglomerate with widely diversified activities in manufacturing, industrial, financing and brokerage, insurance, retail, services, trading, transport, hospitality, real estate development and investment in shares and securities.
Gulf Dura Industries LLC is a fully owned subsidiary of GGICO Group, based in RAK and Dubai. Owns a state of the art Mfg facilities for PPR & PVC Pipes and fittings, Electrical accessories for the construction industry. I was promoted from another subsidiary of GGICO group.
The UAE Construction industry was booming in 2006 with over USD 160 Billion projects among which, the world's tallest building project - Burj Khalifa, Palm Jumeirah, manmade island waterfronts and the skyline of Sheikh Zayed took shape. In 2006 UAE MEP project market value was USD 12.3 billion. The company was in the same vertical of the construction Industry with Investments in Real estate, Construction and MEP. The products manufactured by Gulf Dura were major inputs to the MEP sector of the Construction Industry.
- Supervise Civil works and funding the construction of Factory buildings
- Finding Solutions to Power requirements during construction and machinery installations at Al Ghail Industrial Estate
- Source Funding for Project Cost and Time over-runs that were not covered in the Contracts
- ISO 9000 Certification of the Company's facilities
Gulf Engineering Services LLC
August 2007 - September 2008
GGICO is a Dubai Financial Market listed public shareholding company established since 1973. Gulf Engineering Services LLC is a fully owned subsidiary of GGICO Group, based in Dubai and Sharjah engaged in MEP Construction projects, Facilities Management, Plant hire, Branded HVAC marketing, and Maintenance with over 500 staff.
The Finance Manager is accountable for the administrative, financial, and risk management operations of the company, to include the development of a financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results to the Management and Group.
- Achieving 47% YOY Revenue increase through Recognizing Profit centres, cost centres and organizational Revenue drivers to prepare measurement tools and KPI's for the Company to initiate action plans
- Ensured a strict cost regime and responsibility centres by setting up detail cost modules for each Project, Contracts, billing and match with the estimates and budgets to track variance and pricing policies resulting in 3% overall monthly cost reduction and up to 7% savings for some cost centres.
- Increased capacity for new MEP & FM projects execution and management by recruiting credible senior staff with commendable track records in marketing and operations resulting in 70% increase in quotations and 27% increase in new revenue projects
February 1996 - November 2007
Consisted of 3 Companies:
- Gateway Singapore PTE Ltd - Singapore
- Gateway Malaysia SDN BHD - Malaysia
- Sherwoods Electronics (Pvt) Ltd - Sri Lanka
Gateway Inc., was based in Irvine, California, manufactured and marketed a wide range of personal computers, Laptops, computer monitors, servers, and computer accessories. It became a well-known brand in 1991 when it started shipping its computer hardware in cow-spotted boxes and for its creative advertising.
Gateway was a popular Computer brand with plants in North America, Europe and Asia. In 1996 The Asian region Plant inaugurated in Malaysia, Regional sales controlled from Singapore and Resellers appointed in Asian capitals including Sri Lanka, ACER Taiwan acquired Gateway operations in October 2007, for approximately US$ 710 million
Achievements and responsibilities:
- Financial Planning and costing to set up offices and Plants
- Responsible for finances in the Gateway New business Model
- Responsible to coordinate evaluate and monitor Re-sellers and dealers
- Penetrated into Govt Tenders and Institutional buyers
- Negotiated and approved settlement terms for key accounts increasing sales volume by 3.5 times for first 2 years
- Ensuring ROI on Developing new Country stores across major Asian capitals
- Launching Gateway products in Sri Lanka with Sherwoods Electronics as a Strategic partner
- Managing Advertising budgets for brand awareness and market penetration
- Participated in Sales conferenc
Southern Group Civil Constructions
April 1990 - January 1996
Southern Group is a group of companies engaged in the following areas:
1. Civil & Road Construction Projects
2. Heavy Equipment Hiring
3. Quarry and Metal Crushing
4. Plastic Construction Material Manufacturing
5. Service Stations
6. Tea Plantations
7. Tea leaves Manufacturing Industries
8. Tea exports branded markets
Southern Group Civil construction engaged in Infrastructure projects in Sri Lanka in the construction of Roads, bridges, Irrigation, and other projects mostly related to Mahaweli diversion Scheme, Southern Group Tea sector engaged in Tea plantation, large scale manufacturing factories for orthodox and CTC Tea.
- Study of Critical success factors, Financial planning, Budgeting and proposing action Plans for implementation
- Work study, strategic planning and organising the logistics of shifting the head office to Colombo
- Structural planning of the Groups business activities and incorporating new subsidiaries
- Arranged temporary bridging finances for 60 Kms of OECD funded Rathkinda Road
- Financed acquisition of Tea factories when the Tea price was falling
- Managed Forex reserves taking advantage of multiple currency revenue and heavily fluctuating inter currency exchanges
- Import of machinery, building of new CTC Tea factory and installation of machinery
- Team member in establishing Tea Exports directly to destination markets
- Supervising and funding Road construction projects Mahaweli System C
Jinasena (Pvt) Ltd
January 1983 - March 1990
Worked in the centralized Finance Department serving for following Companies:
1. Jinasena Ltd - http://www.jinasena.com/
2. Loadstar Pvt Ltd - http://www.loadstar.lk/
3. Other Companies in the group included the following:
- Sea & Land Services Ltd - Processing of Prawns for exports
- Hessing Garments Ltd - Manufacture of Garments
- Jinasena Electric Motors Ltd - Manufacture of Electric Motors
- Jinasena Castings Ltd - Casting of Metal casings
Partnership with the Belgian Solideal Group set up the world's largest solid tyre mfg facility in Sri Lanka operating 24/7. The Group Manufactured of Tyres, water pumps, Garments and processing of Shrimps for exports. As a member of the Finance dept. of the group employing a workforce of over 3,800, I was in charge for Import costing, productivity analysis, data processing, Management Information Reporting, Treasury management, security management for cash in transit, import export documentation.
Achievements and Responsibilities:
· Competitive procurement of Rubber 9% below market price
· Responsible for daily productivity reports of the manufacturing sector monitoring raw material qty inputs, processing waste and output percentages
· Prepared salaries and wages for production workers in the factories based on daily, monthly, piece rate, contract and performance based systems
· Cash flow forecast through management of PDC's, bank deposits,
· Import export documentation
- Responsible for stocks and Overheads
KPMG Sri Lanka
March 1981 - August 1983
· Joined as an articled clerk as a pre requisite qualification to my chartered accountancy career for practical experience and certification
· Assisted Audit Team leader in conducting external Audits, Physical stock verification, Analysis of ledger, Reconciliations etc.
· Multiple language skills enabled leading multi-cultural Audit Team to coordinate large scale auditing assignments and complete Audits on time
· Learnt basics of accounting and company management by physical verification of business documents
· Lead Audit Teams for several assignments managing and supervising the teams in Auditing and Reporting
· Engaging in audit investigations, getting clarifications, physical sock cash counts
· Drafting reports for my management
· Training juniors in auditing methodologies, Information technology, and reporting standards
· Audited very large commercial and governmental institutions including the following:
- Markfed - Import export agricultural company with 128 branches island wide
- Sri Lanka Plantation Corporation Tea estates – Hatton, Norwood
- Peoples Bank – Several branch offices in and around Colombo
Derangal Hills Tea Manufacturing Project
As a Finance Manager of Southern Group with over 1,500 workforce spread across different verticals of Construction and Tea projects, headed the finance department of the Group. Ceylon Tea is a popular beverage in the World. This project focusses on manufacturing tea from the tea plantations located in low altitudes in Southern part of Sri Lanka. Derangala Hills Tea factory manufactures Tea using orthodox method of manufacturing. Some of the manufacturing processes are illustrated in the video.
Qualifications & Certifications
Diploma in Japanese Management & Entrepreneurship Development
Master of Business Administration
Postgraduate Institute of Management, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Certificate in Computer Programming and automated data Processing Methodology
Institute of Chartered Accountants Of Sri Lanka
GCE Advanced Level - Medicine stream
D.S. Senanayaka College
D.S. Senanayake College
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more