Senior executive with strong performance record in operations, strategy, P&L management and business turnaround. Creative, visionary leader with proven strengths in communication and engagement. Strong ability to motivate and coordinate people when times are tough.
Significant board experience through times of major change and growth.
Enjoys applying wide range of experiences to achieve outstanding results.
Treasurer of the Board
From September 2012
A fast growing NFP focused on sustainable community development in Cambodia. Employs 35 staff and is recognised for ground breaking work in delivering community driven sustainable change ensuring no ongoing dependency on external support.
Responsible for the financial operation of the organisation, from strategic through to transactional, including policy development, risk management, audit and financial reporting.
- Initiated strategy development process,
- Initiated the marketing strategy development,
- Developed audit management report implementation plan,
- Set up contingency fund management process,
- Managed the DGR status process.
The Shack Youth Services
From November 2012
Established in 1990 to support the wellbeing of young people and their families, particularly those who have experienced issues relating to poverty, isolation and social exclusion.
Responsible for developing the strategic direction for the organisation and executing the resulting merger.
- Lead the strategy development process,
- Executing the merger process:
* Identified the suitable target company;
* Negotiated the terms of the merger;
* Executing the transaction.
National Operations Manager
Hoya Lens Australia, Sydney, NSW
From June 2011
Leading Australian spectacle lens manufacturer, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hoya Corporation, Japan, with 30% retail market share in Australia.
Role has the overall responsibility for Hoya operations, including operational restructure, disaster recovery management, strategy implementation, P&L for an AUD30M business unit, management of the national operations team of 150 people in 6 location.
- Managed three major company restructures, resulting in cost base reduction of 50%,
- Managed a disaster recovery process resulting in:
* Six-fold increase in local production throughput in 4 weeks;
* Establishment of a new supply chain with 8 new overseas suppliers;
* Service level recovery within 8 weeks;
* Revenue recovery within 12 weeks.
- Improved the Gross Profit by 20% in first 3 months (before the disaster),
- Increased throughput by 20% (before the disaster),
- Delivered improved performance within three months of the disaster,
- Developed operational performance reporting to enable real time decision making,
- Identified new technologies enabling further cost reductions,
- Delivered best recorded service levels: return rate (credits); yield; delivery on time and productivity;
- Implemented a major culture change from a technical, product based organisation to a market driven, customer focused organisation.
National Fitting Manager
Hoya Lens Australia, Sydney, NSW
November 2008 - June 2011
Dual responsibility for the National Fitting Network and change management. Focusing on horizon two businesses, developing growth options and integrating them into the core businesses.
Responsibilities include reorganisation of the business through outsourcing and acquisitions, defining and delivering key strategic initiatives, establishing a growth generating business unit, developing a new product in a new market.
- Doubled the Productivity, Quality and Delivery on Time performance within 12 months,
- Transformed a loss leader into a value adding business unit,
- Delivered significant quality improvement resulting in savings and improving customer experience,
- Developed operational performance reporting enabling real time decision making,
- Managed a major restructure (30% FTE reduction; 20% cost base reduction),
- Initiated and facilitated an acquisition, an outsourcing and an insourcing project;
- Promoted into the National Operations Manager.
Manager, Project Management Office
Australian Health Management
September 2007 - September 2008
Leading Australian provider of private health insurance and health management services to over 150,000 members.
Responsible for establishment and management of the new Project Management Office overseeing delivery of a $20M capital budget portfolio, establishing a governance process, as well as developing project management capability and delivering change management.
- Established the Project Management Office,
- Established control over $20M portfolio, reducing capital commitment by $10M,
- Delivered major business technology projects (over $5M) on time, budget and quality,
- Translated the strategy into specific, deliverable projects,
- Introduced a range of corporate governance policies, processes, procedures and systems, resulting in significant reduction in risk exposure,
- Implemented successful business model change from technology driven to a return on investment driven model,
- Managed stakeholder and readiness analysis,
- Developed and delivered the change management plan,
- Developed and supported the management team through the change,
- Designed and implemented a training and development plan.
Alinta, Sydney, NSW
September 2006 - August 2007
Australia's largest energy company with over $14B worth of assets under management in Australia and overseas, employing over 7000 staff.
Responsible for daily operational management of a team of thirty, establishment of a business unit, account management, management of the profit centre (P&L responsibility), operational and financial performance analysis and delivery of culture change.
- Established a business unit reaching $5M revenue, doubling the first year's result,
- Developed and implemented the business unit strategy,
- Managed a profit centre and achieved sustainable profit of 14% (turnaround from a 20% loss),
- Successfully lead 30 employees in two tiers through a major change,
- Changed the prevailing utility culture to a market driven one,
- Implemented a continuous improvement program which resulted in 40% reduction in operating costs,
- Designed and implemented training and development plan,
- Delivered management coaching through the change.
June 2004 - September 2006
Fully owned subsidiary of AGL, Australia's largest energy company, which owns and manages $14B worth of assets in Australia and overseas, with in excess of 5,000 employees and revenue of over $420M.
Responsible for the integration of three departments by establishment and management of capital projects portfolio for all major clients, account management, client relationship management, internal and external reporting, financial performance and portfolio analysis, plus lead a team of two.
- Developed and implemented Program and Portfolio Management,
- Successfully delivered a portfolio of capital projects worth over $100M per annum,
- Increased revenue by $12M pa through better use of current resources,
- Lead the team to achieve first ever positive evaluation from the foundation clients,
- Lead Agility's first ever 12 months' delivery to target,
- Changed the culture from technology focused to client focused,
- Improved stakeholder and client management, resulting in increased external revenue,
- Supported business unit strategy development and implementation,
- Developed and delivered the change management plan, successfully aligning the objectives and outcomes of two (previously conflicting) departments,
- Promoted to Operations Manager.
May 2003 - June 2004
Responsible for systems analysis, process and business improvement, change management and asset management.
- Performed detailed business analysis identifying areas for improvement,
- Delivered a range of improvements resulting in 30% (4 FTE) efficiency increase,
- Developed and delivered a change management plan,
- Designed and implemented training plan,
- Promoted to Manager, Works Program Management.
May 2001 - May 2003
Largest Australian producer of zinc and lead, employing over 500 people at the Newcastle (Cockle Creek) site, with annual revenue of $120M.
Responsible for implementation of McKinsey methodology, plus operational, production and financial analysis, identification, development and implementation of improvement initiatives, production management, procurement management and process improvement.
- Performed detailed production and financial analysis identifying areas for improvement,
- Delivered in excess of $3M in process improvement,
- Achieved highest ever throughput at lowest ever cost, improving profitability by $5M,
- Embedded the McKinsey Process Improvement Methodology,
- Managed stakeholders and coached them through the process,
- Developed and delivered the change management plan,
- Developed and supported the management team through the change.
Qualifications & Certifications
University of Newcastle
University of Belgrade