I have 14 years experience in producing innovative creative solutions for events, exhibitions, launches, conferences, promotions and road shows for the corporate environment.
My capabilities range from conceptualisation to logistics and implementation, executing creative yet practical initiatives. In the last few years, I have designed and produced high profile events for corporate clients in South Africa and abroad.
i pride in my ability to handle a cross-section of projects and deliver the highest professional services no matter how big or small the project.
The purpose of Event Management is forging an emotional and memorable connection with the consumers where they live, work and play. Event Management requires a qualitative understanding of the appropriateness of a particular event as well as quantitative research to demonstrate its effectiveness in reach and frequency.
My range of services includes:
Preparation of a master event planning strategy (by function, task, roles and responsibilities and timeline)
Developing a supporting marketing strategy, with advertising opportunities and PR
Staging (to ensure you make the most of the space so it works for you), and co-coordinating support staff
The combined skills for organizing an event is all about creating the right experience, the appropriate image and pace, as well as ensuring the event is both a logistical and financial success.
There’s a real formula to creating a successful event, which delivers a memorable experience. It’s based on listening to your objectives before we develop a time-sensitive action plan.
It's about being highly detailed orientated.
Finally, it’s all about implementation to minimize any stress during the actual event.
January 2005 - April 2013
Managing Director: I started Event Guru cc in 2005, with a vision to service current clients in a more personalized manner, ensuring that every event undertaken is delivered to their specific needs and requirements. The Agency for Marketing & Advertising, utilizes Event Guru to run their events and I consult to them on a project basis. Staring my company involved the following tasks; developing a Corporate ID and Company profile, Company CD Rom and website design, launch Event Guru into Market place, Client service, Developing Management Systems, Conceptualize events, Writing Concept documents, Presenting, Managing and coordinate projects, Strategic project input, Budget forecasting and reconciliation, research reports for clients, database management, Sponsorship, Media liaison, Market Research. In 2012, I launched, The Bodysculpture Show, a Cosmetic Beauty and Anti-aging Expo, attracting over 8000 visitors over 3 days.
Key Responsibility Areas:
• Brief in projects to staff with set deadlines and guidelines, To implement, manage and control multiple projects to expected standards by personally completing all functions related to the project, To be innovative and proactive while ensuring the successful outcome of the projects, To perform all administrative tasks relative to the projects, To become fully familiar with client's business, marketplace and competitors to ensure continual growth and development
• Management of staff as required, Communication across all levels to ensure proper distribution and flow of information, Mentor assigned staff complement, Verify and manage overall staffing performance levels within the department, Allocation of tasks
Projects Event Guru has delivered:
Telkom Lion King Hospitality Events 2007
Peugeot 207 Vehicle Launch 2006 and 2007
Peugeot Sales Conference, 2006 and 2007
Yellow Pages Ultimate Athletics Road show, national 2007
Telkom T-zone National Promotions 2007/2008
Johnson Diversey, Royal Launch, 2007
THE AGENCY FOR MARKETING & ADVERTISING
August 2002 - December 2004
I managed Action 3D, the event division of The Agency, producing creative solutions in 3D form for events, exhibitions, conferences, product launches, video productions, interiors or graphics for the corporate environment. My role was to co-ordinate, implement and Project Manage events for clients, who entailed the creative thinking and strategic planning of a campaign, briefing and supervising preferred suppliers on projects and ensuring that the overall result is effective and successful. I oversaw the financial controls of every event and ensured timeous delivery of pre-event planning, event execution and post event reviews. My position also involved New Business Development.
Projects I have been involved with include:
The Limpopo World Summit Launch
Gauteng Tourism New Logo Launch
Spoornet Chairman’s Awards
Spoornet “Heart of It All” conference
Spoornet Aids Day Celebrations
Eskom KSACS Launches, nationally
Limpopo 4x4 Eco Adventure Challenge
SAA Aerospace & Defence Exhibition 2002
Spoornet Umbunthu Village Stand
Nedbank Million Dollar Golf 2002 & 2003
Telkom Christmas Concert 2002
Randwater Exhibition stands
SA Technical Corporate Video Production
SAA Technical Aviation stand in Dubai
Nelson Mandela’s 85th Birthday
Reasons for Leaving: The opportunity arose to start my own company and I was ready for a challenge.
Client Service Director
Kidz & Co Marketing
April 2001 - August 2002
I formed my own company and consulted to Hot Dogz Inc., a Youth Media Agency, on the Simba, P&G, Northerns Cricket Union, Clearasil and Standard Bank accounts. I managed the strategic planning of the accounts, campaign management, operations management (ensuring targets are met), TV production co-ordination, budget and target management and client liaison function. I was also involved in New Business Development, pitching innovative ideas to potential clients.
Reason for Leaving: I wanted to pursue my love of the eventing industry.
Senior Accounts Executive
VASOLINE ADVERTISING AGENCY
October 2000 - March 2001
: I was responsible for the timely and accurate execution of all retail campaigns for Vodacom, Edgars and Jet from production, creative and tactical perspective. My principal duties and responsibilities included client liaison, taking briefs, briefing traffic, studio and production, writing contact reports, weekly status reports, presentations to client, overseeing artwork and creative, briefing media houses and booking media, developing quotes, invoicing, issuing orders, writing communications strategy and contact with production houses and producers for TV commercials.
* Reason for Leaving: I moved to join Hot Dogz Inc. as a consultant.
HOT DOGZ INC
January 1999 - September 2000
My experience at this Youth Market Specialist Agency was two fold. During 1999 I was responsible for Craz-e, the children’s channel on e-TV. My responsibilities in television production included: channel image & identity control, studio and presenter management, script delivery with presenters, auditioning and recruitment of presenters, new concept development (proposal documents), show format & choreography, sponsorship negotiation, research (show themes), clothes & props selection, hotline call analysis and TV editing in edit suite. Additionally, I worked in client service with companies like Coca Cola, Kellogg, Beacon, Sasko Milling & Baking and Relyant Retail Ltd.
My experience at this Youth Market Specialist Agency was two fold. During 1999 I was responsible for Craz-e, the children's channel on e-TV. My responsibilities in television production included: channel image & identity control, studio and presenter management, script delivery with presenters, auditioning and recruitment of presenters, new concept development (proposal documents), show format & choreography, sponsorship negotiation, research (show themes), clothes & props selection, hotline call analysis and TV editing in edit suite. Additionally, I worked in client service with companies like Coca Cola, Kellogg, Beacon, Sasko Milling & Baking and Relyant Retail Ltd.
HRH The Prince of Wales
* Accounts Executive (Contract worker): I was instrumental in recruiting actors and models for various television shoots and films in electronic media, taking briefs from clients (with Client Service Director), writing Contact Reports and assisting with the coordination of shoots and various launch functions. I worked on the Berry Bro's & Rudd 300th Anniversary Fine Wine Auction, in the presence of HRH The Prince of Wales, including media coverage coordination. I also assisted in developing a critical path for The Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race 1999, evaluating brand mentions worldwide and circulating press kits to press, radio and TV.
* Reasons for Leaving: I moved back to South Africa.
JAMES GARRETT AND PARTNERS
April 1998 - December 1998
): I was instrumental in recruiting actors and models for various television shoots and films in electronic media, taking briefs from clients (with Client Service Director), writing Contact Reports and assisting with the coordination of shoots and various launch functions. I worked on the Berry Bro’s & Rudd 300th Anniversary Fine Wine Auction, in the presence of HRH The Prince of Wales, including media coverage coordination. I also assisted in developing a critical path for The Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race 1999, evaluating brand mentions worldwide and circulating press kits to press, radio and TV.
Reasons for Leaving: I moved back to South Africa.
NERISSA MARTIN DESIGN LTD
January 1998 - April 1998
(Contract worker): For this promotional merchandising company, I managed the Entertainment and Media sectors, reporting to clients. My responsibilities included client presentations, sourcing & supplying merchandise for promotions, processing orders, quality control, client mail outs, computer entry of database and feedback reports for clients, including video productions of launches. My client included: Smirnoff, The Dorchester Hotel, The Collection Restaurant and D.F. Retail Solutions.
PART - TIME STUDENT WORK
July 1997 - December 1997
BAKER STREET SNACKS Cape Town, RSA
Marketing Assistant (3rd Year Internship): I worked for this company as part of completing my Marketing thesis on the launch of a new brand, Thick Cuts. This encompassed observing the brand development process - product formulation and trials, flavour selection, packaging design, point of sale material design and advertising agency liaison.
Functions Assistant Manager
I coordinated numerous promotional events for Sol Beer in 1996/7, including the RCI Summer Festival, the International Volley Ball Tournament and the Community Festival.
1. Rand show 2008, Johannesburg Expo Center, Gauteng
2. Telkom Pinnacle Awards Ceremony 2008, The Hilton Hotel, Pretoria
3. Telkom Educator of the Year Awards 2009 – Emperor’s Palace, Gauteng
4. Telkom Educator of the Year Media Launch 2009, The Westcliff Hotel, Gauteng
5. Telkom Datacenter Launch 2009, Bellville Datacenter, Cape Town
Description for above
1. Event Guru was contracted to Kagiso Exhibitions and Events to conceptualise, implement, co-ordinate and manage all eventing aspects of The Rand show 2009. With over 500 000 visitors to the show each year, we promised to provide a line up of entertainment that would appeal to the family visiting the show. The event line up was divided into categories, The X-treme Zone (teenagers), The Disney Zone (under 18’s), The Main Arena/Music concerts (family), The Parades, The Lake (water sports). A strict programme of events was developed for each category with a dedicated team supervising each element. This entailed working with key suppliers and managing the team to ensure all were on the same page. The Rand show ran for 17 days over the Easter period.
2. The Telkom Pinnacle Award was developed to recognize key Pinnacle customers and acknowledge them officially by awarding them at the event. Top management and CEO, Ruben September attended the ‘cruise liner’ themed evening. Guests were flown in nationally to attend the event held at The Hilton Hotel in Pretoria. Guests were entertained as if on a cruise liner, with cabaret style dancing acts and live bands to ensure the evening was enjoyed by all.
3. The Telkom Educator of the Year Awards is an event whereby Telkom rewards and thanks all top educators nationally for being such an integral part of the South African education system. The campaign is open nationally to the public to vote either telephonically or via internet for their top teachers per category – science, mathematics, technology and retired. The nominations are counted per province and the top 3 teachers per category per province are selected. These top teachers are invited to attend a judging session where the top three per category per province are selected to attend the Educator of the Year Awards ceremony. Here the winning teacher per category is awarded. Event Guru coordinated all travel and flight arrangements for the 400 guests nationally as well as ensuring that their itinerary arrangements were taken care of for the event. The event was themed using the icon apple symbol, which was depicted throughout the room layout, table decorations and gifts. A live band performed for the guests and the official announcements on stage. Winners received prizes for themselves as well as for their school sponsored by Telkom. Ministers and top Telkom management attended the event.
Qualifications & Certifications
Marketing and Advertising
Vega School of Advertising
Vega School of Advertising