Over 11 yeras Banking experience in Relationship Management, Credit Risk Management & Bank Wide Risk Management(Enterprise Risk Management)
Head, Risk Management and Compliance
UBA Kenya Bank Ltd
From November 2011
Scope and role
-Provide strategic leadership in the Risk & Compliance Department to ensure high quality Bank wide risk assets are created;
-Minimize incidents of loss through proactive identification, assessment, measurement, mitigation, and effective monitoring
- Implement an integrated Bank-wide risk management framework in line with the approved policies and regulations
o Oversee Credit Control , Credit Administration, Credit Monitoring , Credit Remedial management and Recovery
o Oversee Compliance, Operational & Market Risk Management
o Carry out periodic reviews of risk management policies in line with the Banks risk appetite and recommend setting of risk parameters
o Oversee improvement of the Bank's risk management culture through frequent awareness and training programs
o Coordinate & development of tools to identify, measure and analyze the various risks the Bank is exposed-KRIs, Stress testing, Process mapping, RCSA, Mark to Market, LDM etc
o Lead bank wide policy reviews in line with the policy guidelines
o Lead process mapping for all processes, activities, products and systems prior to go-live
o Managing, coaching and developing a high-performance Risk Management team to meet set deliverables
o Core member of EXCO, RIMCO, ALCO, CDLC and CAC(Key management committees)
o Preparation and presentation of Monthly Risk Management reports to Management and Quarterly to Board Risk Management Committee
o Swift implementation of Risk Management Framework in UBA Kenya(Voted best department of the Year 2012)
o Improved Turn Around Time for credit administration
o Improved, timely and accurate periodic reporting(Management, Board and Regulatory)
o Enhanced MIS for Credit Risk Management- Classification and Credit monitoring
o Improved revenue assurance
o Improved and seamless relationship between the risk management and business units
o Implementation of operational risk management in UBA Kenya- KRIs, RCSA, LDM
Manager- Enterprise Risk Management
DIAMOND TRUST BANK KENYA LIMITED
September 2009 - November 2011
This role is responsible for continuous and proactive provision of assurance to the Banks stakeholders through periodic reports that the potential and current risks threatening the assets and earning capacity of the Banks business are identified, assessed, measured, controlled, reported and appropriately managed.
- Enhance enterprise-risk frame work as per established policies and regulatory requirements by regular review of policies and procedures
- Developing and implementing tools for identification and assessment to manage and measure enterprise wide financial and non financial risks in adherence to set policies and regulations.
- Identify, assess and Mitigate inherent risks associated with new products, systems, projects & business relationships.
- Compiling key risk indicators-(Market Risks, Operational Risks, Strategic Risks and Credit Risks) and establishing trends, conducting root-cause analysis and recommending mitigants for managements' action.
- Conduct effective risk awareness trainings to inculcate value based risk culture and standards by all employees
- Preparation of management and board reports on the institutional risk profile and risk practices in a comprehensive and timely manner.
-Credit risk analysis.
- Championed the Banks implementation and compliance with Credit Reference Bureau regulations-Project Manager
- Spearheaded a restructure and stream-lining of the Centralized Credit Administration Department Operations to enhance efficiency.
- Involved in key bank projects-Treasury Automation, Cash Management, Mpesa & Anti Money Laundering(AMLOCK), Cheque Truncation System
Credit Analyst - Credit Risk Management
K-REP BANK LIMITED
August 2008 - August 2009
This role is responsible for credit analysis and monitoring of the credit portfolio in line with the Banking Act, the Prudential Guidelines and the Credit Policy and Procedures.
- Review and make recommendations to the Head of Credit Risk, decisions relating to all new facilities, reviews, ENCs and excesses requests, early draw downs, risk grading and pricing matrix for clients once in receipt of Relationship Officers/Managers completed credit proposals.
- Ensure critical risk monitoring of loan Portfolio, highlighting specific action points for accounts in excess/over approved limits, and loans in arrears.
- Prepare management and regulatory reports as per internal policies and CBK guidelines.
- Supervisory role over a staff compliment of 4 Credit officers.Key Achievements
- Improved turn around time
- Improved loan portfolio quality through establishment of close relationship with branches to obtain relevant and complete information
- Overall appreciation of Credit Risk Management throughout the branches/business development staff
- Trained RMs/ROs on credit assessment.
Relationship Manager- SME & Retail
January 2007 - August 2008
This role is responsible for acquirement of new client relationships, KYC, credit analysis and credit monitoring within established strategies to ensue balance sheet growth, increased profitability and customer growth.
- Sales and marketing to build quality credit portfolio as per set targets
- Customer advisory services in accordance to the banks lending policies and procedures.
- Underwriting loan proposals and presenting to the bank Credit Comities for approval.
- Financial advisory services to customers
- Working with vendors such as solicitors, insurers and investigators to ensure optimal recoveries at minimal costs to the Bank.
- Credit portfolio monitoring
Grew and sustained a quality portfolio of over Kshs. 300 million at low delinquency rates of less than 5%.Some key relationships managed include;- Rent-works Ltd, Kenya Airways Pilots, City Hoppa.
Snr. Business Development Officer- Micro Finance
K-REP BANK LIMITED
June 2005 - December 2006
This role is responsible for strategic business development within a Business Development Unit and supervision of Business Development Officers.
- Carry out market research to identifying opportunities and market banks Micro Finance Products.
- Credit analysis of the micro finance clients' business plans, financial projections and offer advisory services
- Approve credit facilities in compliance with internal and external regulatory policies and practices of the Bank to ensure effective risk management.
- Offer strategic leadership & training.
- Supervisory duties-In charge of a staff compliment of 5Officers.
Over saw growth of a Micro-finance portfolio of over KES 150 million with a low delinquency rate of 3%.
Business Development Officer-Micro Finance
K-REP BANK LIMITED
June 2002 - June 2005
-Market and establish new Micro Finance client relationships and group management.
- Credit assessment of loan applications.
- Provide financial advisory services and trainings to micro finance clients within the group set up.
Grew and managed a quality microfinance credit portfolio with a delinquency of less than 3%.
INNSCORE Kenya Ltd
April 2001 - May 2002
o Preparation of daily report sheets on financial position of all retail outlets and factories
o Bank Reconciliations
Qualifications & Certifications
University of Nairobi
Business Administration-Accounting & Finance option
Kenya Methodist University
Co-operative College of Kenya