Claim you profile
Intranet and Learning Hub Editor
May 2013 - July 2013
• Made content changes to the intranet for this large international development charity, ensuring that all material was on-brand, audience-focused and accessible
• Edited the homepage, wrote news items, sourced stories and compiled a weekly digest of information from around the organization - all promoted on Chatter.
• Edited and launched Global News, a HTML monthly newsletter, in Adestra (an email marketing tool) and later compiled stats on click rates, etc.
• Used journalism skills to shape case studies from overseas volunteers into moving stories on the fight against global poverty
• Ran monthly training sessions to teach colleagues how to use the CMS
• Edited the Learning Hub, an e-learning system (Moodle) platform, acting as site administrator and developer of online content for staff and volunteers.
Web Writer and Content Editor
University of West London (UWL)
November 2012 - April 2013
• Wrote new content, edited existing text, for UWL schools including Law, Art Design and Media and West London Business School
• Refined the web architecture of the above schools
• Sourced new images, resized for web, added tool tips, accessibility text
• Met regularly with Heads of School to present updates on the new site
• Helped put together new video content for schools, interviewing lecturers and editing their responses
• Worked closely with Drupal developers to improve CMS usability and 'look and feel'
• Helped troubleshoot on cross-browser compatibility issues, including for tablets and mobile
• Developed Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) skills in Blackboard.
Royal College of Psychiatrists
From October 2012
• Edited and improved the Quality section of the College website using CMS skills
• Worked with academics within the college to check the accuracy of online content
• Applied new CSS stylesheets to updated pages on the revamped website.
July 2012 - September 2012
Update CMS with new hotel info and write bespoke web copy for 'gold standard' hotels
Previous to this assignment I spent three months (April - June) travelling in Australia.
Print and Web Editor (contract)
Transport for London
March 2011 - March 2012
• Worked with press office, TfL staff and key stakeholders to ensure print and web copy promoted a consistent corporate message
• Worked in tandem with New Media to update the TfL website and various microsites, using content writing, CMS, Photoshop and CSS skills
• Added video content to web pages using Flash and video authoring skills
• Researched, wrote and edited news articles for MetroTravel (a daily page in the Metro newspaper) to a tight deadline
• Updated TfL Facebook page with MetroTravel news stories
• Worked with the design department to tweak page layout, headlines and copy
• Wrote features for Metro on TfL schemes and projects. Interviewees included artist Michael Landy and 2011 Young Apprentice of the Year Shauni O'Neill
• Sourced vivid pictures from image library, Visual Images Manager and external sources for MetroTravel page.
September 2007 - January 2011
Sub Editor with The Independent (Sport)
• Proofread, edited and rewrote copy on football, tennis, cricket, racing
• Wrote headlines, standfirsts and picture captions
• Checked facts and stories to ensure accuracy.
Web Editor with Emap (Nursing Times/ Health Service Journal)
• Edited news stories and features
• Created online articles and keyword-rich headlines
• Sourced and uploaded new images.
Web Editor with Southern Housing Group
• Migrated content to new CMS, to a tight deadline
• Wrote new copy and edited, re-purposed existing content
• Sourced new images to improve existing image gallery
• Worked with IT team to improve the Search function (SEO)
• Helped improve usability in line with W3C guideline.
Web Content Editor
March 2006 - September 2007
• Migrated large blocks of content to a new site, editing and rewriting in the process
• Wrote and edited content for key areas of the website including: Housing, Crime and Anti-Social Behaviour, Sports and Leisure and Parks
• Deputised as Homepage Editor for two months, working closely with the PR team to cover important news stories and source striking images
• Uploaded audio and video content to the Stratford 2012 Olympics web pages
• Wrote occasional articles for Newham Mag, the council's bi-monthly magazine for residents
• Gave one-to-one training to council employees on Microsoft CMS
• Helped improve the image gallery and search engine (SEO)
• Helped improve website accessibility and usability in line with W3C guidelines.
University of London
August 2005 - February 2006
• Tracked coursework from overseas students, writing weekly reports on their progress
• Updated the Intranet site with departmental news.
Website and Customer Service Assistant
November 2004 - April 2005
• Updated the e-commerce site with new product information, writing descriptive, selling copy
• Responded to online queries from colleagues, clients and customers, relating to www.hmv.co.uk
• Dealt speedily with customer service enquiries in a demanding, target-driven department.
Web Content Assistant
April 2004 - November 2004
• Created new web pages for the School of Arts website, to a strict deadline
• Worked with the IT team on page design and navigation structure
• Wrote copy, edited and proofread new content, in liaison with senior faculty staff.
City University School of Nursing and Midwifery
September 2002 - April 2004
Worked in junior editorial and administrative roles, including six months at City University School of Nursing and Midwifery.
Metro newspaper feature - Michael Landy feature
Interview with internationally renowned artist Michael Landy in which we discuss his Acts of Kindness project, presented by Art on the Underground and Transport for London.
Qualifications & Certifications
English, Maths and Science
The King John School
Is this your profile?
If this is your profile, then you can claim it now and log into your account.
We will need to verify your account and email address before you can log in. To claim your profile now, please use the 'Claim Profile' button below.