Dr. Michael Clingerman is a versatile resource for the development of innovative polymeric coatings, binders, adhesives, binders, and sealants. These include bio-based, hybrid and other polymer types. Dr. Clingerman has had successful career time at DuPont Automotive Finishes, Ashland Specialty Products, and Battelle Memorial Institute and is incorporated now as MCTech,LLC.
MCTech, LLC is involved in:
• Partnering with other organization to participate in joint activities (grants from industry and governmental sources).
• Working with individual corporations for projects or problem solving when their full-time resources are strained.
• Developing new products and processes and acting as a third party agent (leaving the clients’ name confidential) for researching the literature and industrial products.
• Literature searches using SCIFINDER™ (From the American Chemical Society), among other tools.
• Custom formulation of adhesives, coatings and sealants, solving the tough problems.
Lab capabilities include:
• Universal materials tester from Thwing Albert (peel, tensile, and compression testing of materials).
• Environmental chamber from EAS. It is capable of 85 C at 85% relative humidity for electronics sealant testing and can also run freeze/thaw cycles for various industries.
• Many application options for coatings and adhesives.
• A wide range of other testing equipment.
• A wide range of synthesis and formulation equipment.
- Full time
- Part time
- One time
PhD in organic chemistry, almost 40 years experience in polymer science and formulation of coatings, adhesives and sealants.
President/ Sr. Scientist
From January 2011
Contract research, consulting, trouble shooting, synthesis, formulation, literature searches, testing, process design (wet side).
Consultant - coatings and adhesives
March 2009 - January 2011
I partner with companies to help them find new technology to improve their competitiveness in coatings, adhesives, sealants and foundry binders.
Pricipal Research Scientist
Battelle Memorial Institute
September 2001 - March 2009
I have 13 patents involving the development of powder coating resins, foundry products and flexible packaging sealants. I also worked on flexible electronic sealants and acted as a consultant to a wide range of companies.
April 1985 - March 2001
Formulation of coatings, adhesives, binders, and sealants. Chemistry's include polyurethane, acrylic, epoxy, butyl rubber, furanic and others
Low VOC Automotive topcoats
Acrylic melamine formulations were used in the early low VOC formulations for automotive topcoats in the 1980s. I participated in the development and commercialization of these topcoats at DuPont. Some of the challenges overcome include:
> Excellent acid-based cure with good humidity resistance by balancing polymer properties and acid catalyst structure,
> Balancing flow, leveling, and sag resistance by means of a stabilized sol-gel additive
> Low VOC achievement by, acrylic and melamine structural selection for optimum solubility parameters, and solvent selection.
Formaldehyde free binders
Through polymer design and synthesis, formulations that were free of formaldehyde were developed for use in industries (foundry binders, wood adhesives) that traditionally used this undesirable intermediate. USP 8378056, 8309676.
Binder for roads
I am designing a binder for a client that binds ground up materials to form a hardened road surface. The surface is ready for light traffic in a couple of hours and heavy traffic in a day. The material used is whatever is already present. There is generally no need to bring any new materials such as asphalt or concrete to the site.
Qualifications & Certifications
PhD Synthetic Organic Chemistry
The Ohio State University
Monroe HS, Rochester NY
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more