- Full time
- Part time
- One time
I worked on a contract basis at Future Publishing. The magazine I worked on was called Business Traveller.
It was a comprehensive read for the busy man and woman on the go. Focusing on features such as destination countries both local and abroad.
Detailed interviews with members of the travel community, reviews of luxury lodges and reviews in addition to conference venues and facilities.
December 2011 - July 2012
● Novartis provides healthcare solutions that address the evolving needs of patients and societies. We are a world leader in healthcare, with core businesses in pharmaceuticals, consumer health, animal health, eye care and generics.
● Achieving quarterly and annual sales goals
● Identifying key influencers and achieving designated call expectations with a focus on top target customers.
● Delivering product presentations to customers in territory outlining products, features, benefits and services.
● Understanding and addressing both business and scientific oriented needs of healthcare professionals by engaging in meaningful dialog to determine underlying patient needs and determine how products could address such needs.
● Effective territory management
● Achieve sales targets against set monthly and annual budget
● Achieve required call rate
● Apply relevant marketing strategies within the territory
From November 2011
● DATE: April - November 2011
● The position entails managing and driving front-line client relationships. Selling advertorial pages for various magazines namely; Skyways; PC Format, OfficeLife and Braintainment. Building relationships with Sales and Marketing managers within the travel industry. Writing various articles pertaining to the travel industry. I am a strong sales person with strong public relations skills as well as an experienced individual selling advertorial space to advertisers and liaising with industry heads and decision makers.
October 2010 - January 2011
● Reason for leaving: Contract Expired
● The position entailed managing and driving front-line client relationships. Updating the Business Traveller website on a daily basis with fresh new stories focusing on the travel industry. Building relationships with Sales and Marketing managers within the travel industry. Writing various articles pertaining to the travel industry and developing strong relationships
● Writing duties: Writing reviews on hotels, restaurants, cocktail venues, interviews and features.
● Client relationship building: Setting up of meetings with the Sales and Marketing managers of various airlines, hotels, car hire companies and conferencing venues. Key focus was to try "sell" advertorial and entice the client to advertise with Business Traveller.
Waggener Edstrom Worldwide
May 2010 - August 2010
Reason for leaving: Contract expired
● To manage and drive front-line client relationships, provides strategic and tactical advice, and is responsible for the implementation of communications solutions. This position also serves as the day-to-day contact with influentials on behalf of the client. As a key contributor on an account team.
● Content development:
● Develop organised, professional, concise written materials and email that provide "value-add" relevance to client's business.
● Write and coordinate production of press materials including press releases, fact sheets, backgrounders, and customer profile and client biographies.
● Write and coordinate production of client materials including briefing books, coverage clip reports, status reports, email correspondence.
● Coordinate approval process to finalise press materials securing quotes from third-party influentials or partners as needed.
● Work Experience continued
● Media relations:
• Manage story development process, which may include negotiating story ideas with press, preparing client for interview, scheduling and hosting interviews, debriefing client, setting coverage expectations and analysing results.
• Answering influentials' questions, coordinate requests and provide useful information.
• Coordinate, delegate and implement press-activity logistics for press tours, trade show meetings, on-site editorial visits and other events.
● Client service:
• Interact regularly with client via email, phone and possibly in-person contact.
• Understand the client's business and industry (issues, marketing objectives, technology and products, competition and marketplace trends) by reading business plans and key publications and attending meetings.
• Develop and present PR plans that clarify business goals, situation analysis, challenges, solutions, measurement criteria and fiscal planning.
• Brainstorm new approaches, recognizing when situations may call for...
June 2009 - January 2010
● REASON FOR LEAVING: UK Visa Expired
● Deloitte offers clients a broad range of fully integrated services in areas that include Audit, Tax, Enterprise Risk Services, Consulting and Corporate Finance. Its global, integrated approach combines insight and innovation from multiple disciplines with business and industry knowledge to help its clients excel.
● Deloitte was recruited by the Financial Ombudsman Service to assist the firm in resolving the number of complaints in a timely and effective manner.
• Development of new programmes to maintain the influx of complaints in a timely and efficient manner
• Generating standard letters and literature for both the consumers and business
• Training new employees - telephone etiquette, policies and writing in the correct format
• Assess and respond effectively to all in coming complaints in a timely manner
• Liaise with group/other regional press and media relations offices and assist where appropriate
• Maintain forward features/surveys list
• To handle incoming calls from businesses where additional information is required
• To manage the customers expectations within the agreed service standards
● Work Experience continued
• To liaise with the mediation, jurisdiction and claims departments - to collate appropriate information to be sent to the business
• To maintain quality levels in line with the Financial Ombudsman Service Standards
• Collate information bases on monthly assessments on both the business and customers
• Provide feedback to the Deloitte management team on hot topics and trends
• Identify and share areas of best practice and knowledge
Junior Press Officer
Merrill Lynch Investment Bank
August 2008 - January 2009
REASON FOR LEAVING: Contract Expired
● The Global Wealth Management PR team manages the reputation of Merrill Lynch's private banking business, including Merrill Lynch Bank (Suisse) in the international media by developing press strategies, issuing press releases, creating media contact programmes, monitoring the press, providing media training and managing television interviews. In addition, it coordinates eight PR agencies throughout the EMEA region.
● Proactively establish relationships with Global Wealth Management spokespeople and key journalists
● Corporate Investment banking (CIB) - delivering strategic advisory and financing solutions to internal Financial Advisors
● Hedging & structured solutions to help clients maximize shareholder value while minimizing risk
● Drawing upon intellectual capital from across the firm to address clients' most pressing strategic, financial and investment needs.
● Establish and maintain regular contact with our colleagues in New York
● Assist with the organisation of press events and projects, including the Merrill Lynch
● Cap Gemini World Wealth Report, Year Ahead, and Merrill Lynch Campden Single Family Offices Report
● Assisting with the set up of media training programmes
● Assisting with the set up of contact programmes between the business and journalists
● Ad-hoc support to senior press officers
● Proactively identify stories and pitch to key journalists, share with PR agencies
● Daily circulation of relevant coverage to Global Wealth Management
● Liaise with group/other regional press and media relations offices and assist where appropriate
● Maintain forward features/surveys list
● Maintain distribution lists, photo libraries and biographies
● Produce up to date records of media activity for client reporting, development and evaluation purposes
● Develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal clients to develop a wide Network of internal contacts and source
HMC Seswa Corporate Communications
March 2007 - March 2008
● Working for corporate communications/ public relations firm as a writer and account executive. HMC Seswa is a prominent PR firm in South Africa that assists its clients to enhance their products and/or service.
● Work Experience continued
• Writing press releases, opinion pieces, thought leadership articles, product announcements and feature articles.
• Originating copy, preparation of interview motivations, taking briefs from clients, management of copy deadlines, editing and quality checking of all copy before client approval, copy revisions, formulation and implementation of copy approval, management of copy approval process
• Copy including taking briefs, ensuring client availability, monitoring and tracking performance of agreed account activity levels as per client contracts
• Client management: Management of client/media liaison activities including regular client/media interface, quarterly client reviews to include assessments of work completed in previous quarter, management of client service activity
• Responsible for features distributed by numerous publications
• Researching new media opportunities within all media types, distribution of copy to media
• Media management: Development and maintenance of key media relationships including regular meetings with relevant members of the media
• Assisting with new business pitching, preparation of proposals, attendance at prospect meetings, working with account director to present the final recommendations.
February 2007 - March 2008
● Caxton Publications is one of the largest publishing houses in magazine/ knock-and-drop newspapers in South Africa.
• Compiling small features articles
• Writing book and cinema reviews
Qualifications & Certifications
University of Johannesburg