I am a Water & Irrigation Engineer who has 8 years of experience in irrigation planning, irrigation systems designing and irrigation construction, supervision, operation and maintenance of irrigation systems and related water infrastructure in Africa (Zimbabwe, South Africa and Tanzania). I have vast experience in carrying water & Irrigation Feasibility Studies and Irrigation designs and extensive experience in Water Resources and Irrigation Water Management. I am a Holder of a BEng Honours Degree in Water & Irrigation Engineering (CUT,Z’bwe) and in the Final year of my MSc Agriculture Engineering (UNISA).
Mpumalanga Department of Agriculture, Rural Development and Land Administration, Nelspruit
From May 2011
May 2011 to Current
• Design of irrigation systems and filtration systems ( drip, micro, centre pivot, semi-permanent sprinkler, permanent sprinkler, draglines)
• Revitalisation of ailing farm and schemes
• Bulk water supply planning and pipeline design.
• Pump station design and construction.
• Preparation of engineering drawings.
• Water use efficiency analysis and allocation planning.
• Topographical surveying, digital terrain modelling and analysis.
• Pump energy efficiency analysis and irrigation system evaluation.
• Compiling bills of material and project costing.
• Project financial evaluation and risk analysis.
• Supervision of pipeline and irrigation installations.
• Evaluation and approval of irrigation system designs according to SABI norms.
• Irrigation systems troubleshooting.
• Technical training of company staff and human resources management.
• Project planning, implementation and management.
• Liaising with service providers, contractors, engineers, government departments and Eskom on related issues.
• Engineering division budgeting and supervision of artisans and millwrights.
• Tender process administration, contract documentation and adjudication.
• Safety ,Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) management
• Supervision and inspection of agricultural infrastructure projects.
• Design of soil conservation structures for the Landcare programme.
• Mechanisation planning and analysis.
• Design of farm structures and Animal Living environments
Agricultural Engineer: Water Management Guest Lecturer
Mpumalanga Department of Agriculture- Nelspruit
June 2011 - February 2012
• Providing Lectures in Irrigation designs and Water Management; Water quality Management; Water Resources Management
• Conduct research in Irrigation and Water Management as part of the institution’s mandate and policy in line with the Provincial Department of Agriculture Policy
• Provide support and supervision to 3rd year students on irrigated Farms especially on irrigation systems operation and maintenance as well as irrigation water management
• Develop the learning materials in irrigation water management for students and relevant stakeholders; compile and present syllabus guide; revision and updating the academic program and learning material to the students and relevant stakeholders; prepare question papers for tests, examinations and assignments in irrigation water management; plan prepare and acquire the subject study material; coordinate the support section activities; write reports; and make budget inputs.
Oxfarm (Seke Rural Home Based Care) - Harare, Zimbabwe
February 2010 - March 2011
• Irrigation designs and installation of drip irrigation
• Deep well sinking and building
• Supervise and Head the Irrigation team
Rapid Irrigation, Johannesburg, South Africa
July 2009 - February 2010
• Irrigation designs and installation of residential and corporate systems (Automated)
• Repair and maintenance of Irrigation systems (Rainbird, Hunter & Weathermatic)
• supervise and Head the Irrigation team
• Sprinkler and drip irrigation system design and installation (residential)
• Preparation of Bill of Quantities for the proposed irrigation projects
• Drawing up on As-Builds
Irrigation & Water Engineer
Rousham Engineers, Daar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
September 2008 - June 2009
• Reconnaissance and Topographical surveys.
• Environment Impact Assessment of proposed irrigation projects
• Sprinkler and drip irrigation system designs and installation, pipe jacking including pump installations (Pump Stations)
• Design of conveyance (hydraulic) structures (canal, storm water drains) and design and installation of weirs.
• Hydraulic analysis of water distribution networks, valves, flow meter, design and implementation of water loss management programmes, data analysis and client liason.
• Calculating capacity flows and water hummer surges
• Commenting of land development frameworks and environment programme reports.
• Provide technical advice to extension officers and commercial farmers
• Responsible for environment impact assessments of irrigation/agricultural proposed projects and developing effective environmental management guidelines, processes to evaluate impacts of development and coming up with mitigation measures.
• Carrying out pre-feasibility, viability and feasibility studies of proposed irrigation projects (investigation works) and planning of irrigation construction works, ( Project planning and management)
• Writing irrigation project proposals for funding NGOs and liaison with other stakeholders
• Carrying out cost-benefit analysis of proposed irrigation projects and preparing of Bill of Quantities (BOQ)
• Supervising of construction of irrigation projects, rehabilitation of irrigation systems.
• Preparation of Tender Documents and tendering of the works and adjudication of tenders
• Providing advice on water quality and issues related to pollution management, river control and ground and surface water resources.
• Plan and supervise the construction of irrigation drainage and flood control systems for soil and water conservation.
Trainee Irrigation & Water Engineer
Ministry of Agricultural Engineering, Mechanization and Irrigation, Harare, Zimbabwe
August 2006 - August 2008
• Irrigation Schemes rehabilitation and design of irrigation systems (drip and sprinkler) and for proposed irrigation projects for up to 200ha
• Preparation of Bill of Quantities for the proposed irrigation projects and preparation of funds bids for Public Sector Investments (PSIP) funds
• Meet with clients, such as district farmers and developers, to discuss their needs
• Discuss plans with clients, contractors and other engineers so that they can be evaluated and necessary changes made
• Design structures for crop storage, animal shelter and loading, and animal and crop processing
• Problem identification, solution planning & solution proposal
• Supporting new agricultural development activities & creation of client proposal
• Conducting secondary research, data compilation & analysis
• Perform financial analysis and budget preparation
• Visit Clients to evaluate agricultural projects
• Training of Smallholder irrigation farmers and Resettled farmers (A1 and A2 models) in irrigation operation, maintenance and management
• Develop research proposal for funding by donor agencies and conduct on-station and on-farm research on irrigation related issues.
• Plan and control of technician activities at the Zimbabwe Irrigation Technology Centre
• Carrying out pre-feasibility, viability and feasibility studies of proposed irrigation projects (investigation works) and production of technical papers, fact sheets and reports on research conducted
• Carrying out cost-benefit analysis of proposed irrigation projects and carrying out appraisals of proposed and functioning irrigation projects for assistance from Government and NGOs
• Testing and calibration of sprinklers, treadle pumps and design improvements ,pump testing (Centrifugal and submersible) and of PVC pipes (class 2-6)
• Crop production -carrots, cabbage
Tengwa Irrigation Project, 2008, Tanzania
Designed and implemented 280ha drip irrigation for Mangoes, designed to be managed at one single control point.
Contrustion of Rainwater harvesting Infrastructure. Designed and supervised the construction of a 1500cumecs reservoir and installation of a community garden (Surveyed, designed and implemented).
Ngome Drip Irrigation Development Project, Zimbabwe 2010
Surveyed, designed & installed 53ha Drip irrigation.
Lowveld College of Agriculture, Marapyane Campus, 2012. Dr JS Moroka, Mpumalanga
Supervised the Construction of the New Admin building, 2 Storey building.
Cork Gingirikane, 2013, Bushbuck Ridge Municipallity, Mpumalanga
36ha Drip Irrigation design & Installation, 50m3 concrete reservoir.
Vakkaleni CPA, 2013. Mbombela Municipality, Mpumalanga
Surveyed Designed and Commissioned an irrigation as well as designing 6 broiler units for 1000 birds per unit
Kaluka CPA, Sigwinyamana CPA, Servimax Coop 93, Mpumelelo CPA and Paarderkraal CPA, Gert Sibande
Surveyed, designed and commissioned animal handling facilities with 500 cattle capacity holding pens, spray races, scale, neck and body clamps
Mendlowini Farm, 2013 Umjindi, Local Municipality, Mpumalanga
Surveyed Designed and Commissioned an 80Ha Drip Irrigation.
Two Sisters,2014; Umnjindi Municipality, Mpumalanga
Surveyed Designed and Commissioned a 45ha Macadamia irrigation system, 13ha drip irrigation system for a Vegetable garden, construction of a lined HDPE earth dam
Qualifications & Certifications
MSc Agric Engineering (Final year)
University of South Africa
BEng (Hons): Irrigation & Water Engineering
St Ignatius College, Chishawasha
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more