• To skillfully synthesize new organic polymers using high pressure reactors by emulsion, suspension polymerization polymerization processes.
• To skillfully purify gas monomers by distillation process, and handle gas monomer polymerization.
• Experienced in organofluoropolymer synthesis, and copolymer synthesis by free radical polymerization
• To use the chemistry software including Design of Experiments and data analysis to optimize the processes.
• To use the software: Design of experiments to design a model for optimization and simulations of experimental variables while minimizing number of experiments to be conducted.
• To skillfully operate analytical instruments such as GC, DSC, FTIR-TGA and Creep testing
• Extensive knowledge on ICP, TEM, SEM, and GC-MC
Necsa - Plechem (2009-present)
From January 2009
• Lab capability for organofluoropolymer synthesis and polymer synthesis build up; experiment procedure design, equipments purchase and SOP (Standard Operation Procedure) preparation according to HSE.
• New fluoropolymers (homopolymer and copolymer) of fluorinated monomers and non-fluorinated monomers include Vinylidene Fluoride (PVDF, PTFE, FEP) synthesis and material development.
• Responsible for the research from lab scale to a plant scale – Fluoropolymer project
• Training and supervising other postgraduate students on polymer synthesis
• Mathematical modelling of polymerization experiments with the use Design of Experiments statistical methods (DOE)
• Compliance with SHEQ and all Necsa standards
• Ordering of lab chemicals, spares and equipments
• Devolopment of systems and processes from conceptualization – project management (FPP PROJECT)
• Instructional laboratory preparation, stockroom upkeep, ordering and inventory, waste and safety records, routine equipment maintenance.
• Write monthly and quarterly reports
• Support quality by identifying problem causes and describing possible solutions from fundamental scientific principles
• Create presentations and present the work in scientific conferences
• Control of personal protective equipment, chemicals and glassware
• Control and utilisation of working hours, i.e timesheets
Fluoropolymer Project (2009 - present)
• Jan.2009-Dec.2012: Gas monomer preparation or purification by a distillation process at Necsa in the R& D department
• Jan.2009-Dec.2012: Free radical synthesis of Organofluoropolymers at Necsa in the R & D department
• Jul.2011-Dec.2012: Preparation of copolymer by suspension and emulsion processes at Necsa in the R & D department.
• Jun.2010-Mar.2013: Polymer characterization and analysis at Necsa and university of Pretoria chemical engineering department
Fluoropolymer Project (FPP project)
I have 4 years of polymer synthetic and characterization industrial experience gained at Pelchem, Necsa. This diverse background has afforded me exposure to different facets of analytical instruments experience, polymers including synthesis, characterization, mechanical property testing, and processing
Qualifications & Certifications
PhD Chemical Technology (Polymer Science)
University of Pretoria
Masters in Chemistry
University of Witwatersrand
BSc Hons Chemistry
University of Venda
University of Venda