January 2011 - July 2013
• Utilize communication, problem solving and technical computer skills coupled with my ability to gain trust in managing 110 volunteers as Lectors and Extraordinary Ministers at weekly services in Elmhurst, Illinois.
• Utilize communication and problem solving skills in the coordination of referrals of job seekers to employers at non-profit in Elmhurst, Illinois.
• Serve as Precinct 108 Committeeman, DuPage County, York Township, to register voters, update voter registration and improve voter turnout.
• Organized, publicized and emceed Candidate Forum for November 2012 election for three offices, candidates for DuPage County Board District 2, 18th Circuit Court judgeship, and IL Legislative District 43.
Dept. of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau
January 2009 - December 2010
Lombard, IL 2009 - 2010
• Recruited 6,030 qualified applicants for 2010 Census in DuPage County, saving taxpayers $279,000 by efficiently completing recruiting and qualifying of applicants for the 2010 census jobs.
• Managed 24 direct reports: 15 recruiting assistants, eight Call Center recruiting clerks, and an Operations Supervisor. Established work priorities, standards, trained staff, disciplined and managed staff.
• Trained managers, supervisors and crew leaders in ink-fingerprint, to fingerprint 1,500 new census takers for FBI background checks.
• Negotiated and secured 181 training sites on a fee waiver basis for daily meetings for crews in the field.
• Managed Employee Relations regarding matters of disciplinaries, separations and recognition of achievements.
Volunteer Work for Community
January 2007 - January 2009
Spearheaded petition drive in my residential subdivision. Secured 1,035 signatures and presented findings to the Oakbrook Terrace, IL City Council and DuPage County Board who defeated the $1 MM, ¼ mile road extension.
Administrator, Estate of John A. Pakos
January 2004 - January 2007
• Monitored probate, court proceedings, handled final accounting, and marketed/sold home without realtor.
• Created extensive Excel reports of work completed for final accounting. Handled tax returns.
Employee Benefits Law Assistant
Allstate Insurance Co
January 2004 - December 2004
• Performed electronic research on pension, health and welfare and Department of Labor laws and issues.
• Wrote memoranda, updated Standard Plan Descriptions, researched electronic signatures, and pension issues.
Paralegal, Administrative Assistant
January 2001 - January 2004
• Entered data on complex Excel 56 column, 45 row spreadsheets for pension credits for beneficiaries.
• Served as call center operator; organized 4,500 files at government entity; pension consultant; executive assistant.
January 2000 - January 2001
• Served as Payroll Manager, utilized ADP for 15 employees. Supervised clerk responsible for A/P and A/R.
• Audited all Human Resources department functions to ensure legal compliance.
• Implemented IRS Section 125 pre-tax health and welfare benefits resulting in lower premiums for employees.
Human Resources Manager
McCann Industries, Inc
January 1999 - January 2000
• Handled complex, strategic, due diligence and analytical tasks in Employee Relations and Acquisitions, consolidation of offices, record keeping, workers compensation, and utilized Paychex payroll.
• "Hands-on" director of legal compliance and operations with Labor laws, FLSA, Wage and Hour Regulations, Title VII of Civil Rights Act, ADA, HIPAA, FMLA, IRCA, EEO, AAP, ADEA, COBRA, post-accident drug testing, training, employee development, and ensured consistent administration of policies and procedures.
• Utilized metrics and statistical analysis of on-the-job injuries, length of time to hire, and employee relations issues.
• Prepared IRS 5500's for health and welfare plans.
• Wrote and implemented Performance Evaluation Program; trained managers and employees.
• Negotiated insurance plans with brokers and vendors; made selection of plans -- benefit provisions and providers; implemented cost containment and uniformity; handled employee benefits open enrollments.
• Managed Operations: Recruiting. Payroll, Insurance, Purchases, and Human Resources disciplines.
Policy Writer, Benefits & Pension Consultant
January 1998 - December 1998
• Researched federal and state laws to allow 15-year-olds to work in the fast-food industry due to worker shortage.
RSM McGladrey & Pullen LLC
January 1997 - January 1998
Recruited, interviewed, and hired over 50 employees for pharmaceutical manufacturer completing full staffing.
Human Resources Director
American Decal & Manufacturing Co
January 1996 - January 1997
• Member of management, contract negotiation team with two labor unions. Performed cost accounting.
• Managed collective bargaining agreements, handled grievance investigations and resolved issues.
• Investigated infractions and disciplinary, equal pay, and sexual harassment situations.
• Lead spokesperson in handling grievances; resolved issues in a pre-grievance setting, handled investigations and resolution of issues in a sensitive and confidential manner.
• Communications: Managed policies and procedures, e.g., performance evaluations, transfers, promotions, conflicts of interest, downsizing, disciplinary procedures, & terminations.
• Strategically handled risk in downsizing of work force by 2/3 preventing all grievances, in multi-state enterprise.
• Wrote and implemented policies on employment, payroll time keeping, collective bargaining contract enforcement, safety, risk, and performance evaluations.
• Ensured legal compliance with Labor Laws, FLSA, Wage and Hour Laws, WARN, Title VII of Civil Rights Act, ADA, FMLA, IRCA, ADEA, and collective bargained agreements.
Compensation and Benefits, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
January 1994 - December 1994
January 1993 - January 1994
John B. Sanfilippo & Son Inc
January 1989 - December 1991
• Successfully handled a Department of Justice Immigration Reform Control Act I-9 audit, Child Labor Law audit, and Federal Department of Transportation audit, saving the company $500,000.
• Resolved concerns in an equitable manner, working with all employees and regulatory agencies.
• Developed and presented training programs to managers and supervisors in employment laws, interviewing, laws on worker's compensation, safety, proper lifting techniques, truck driver qualifications and requirements.
• Ensured legal compliance with labor laws, wage and hour regulations, FLSA, FMLA, updated I-9's as necessary, Department of Transportation drug testing requirements for truck drivers, Federal Department of Transportation and Interstate Commerce Commission truck driver requirements.
• Handled all recruiting, on-boarding, coaching of supervisors in their supervisory roles, employee benefit enrollments and performance management during extensive growth in telemarketing, customer service, sales, driver, and plant-laborer positions.
• Trained staff in recruiting, employee relations, insurance administration, payroll oversight, and risk management.
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
January 1987 - December 1988
Pace Suburban Bus
January 1985 - December 1986
Personnel Administrator and Benefits Coordinator
January 1980 - January 1985
Qualifications & Certifications
Business Law, Management Studies
Lansing Community College
Thomas M. Cooley Law School
Political Science, Public Administration
University of Wisconsin
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more