Claim you profile
A Strong, Commercially focused Manufacturing Leader with a demonstrably strong track record spanning Operations, Management Systems and Commercial activities in an International business environment.
Possessing well-honed analytical and personal skills with the ability to translate enterprise, market and sector requirements into tangible plans and leadership bringing real business efficiencies, structure and growth to organisations.
November 2012 - April 2014
Creating in the demanding field of Medical Devices the structure of a well organised, Lean, efficient and productive SME. Shipping almost a year's worth of output in my first quarter whilst starting to build the foundations of a modern business.
• Manufacturing structure - Designing and implementing all the elements to create a structure, control and direction in the remote production facility.
• Engineering and Regulatory Support - Consolidating disparate staff to common goals, securing our core business and preparing the business to move forward from a solid base.
• Production Control - control manually, crunch the detail, prepare the database, define system needs, purchase, integrate and implement. Refine and move forward.
Interim Manufacturing Maintenance Mgr
July 2011 - September 2012
Putting in place a modern, effective, planned Maintenance organisation based on Caterpillar Lean Management principles with a £3m annual budget. Actively involved with the Facility Manager in driving change and setting up lean based strategies across the Plant.
• System Development - Designed and implemented the foundations necessary to support a Maintenance system to provide World-Class Manufacturing - PPM, OPM, Criticality, Strategic Spares, SLA's, KPI's, Skills and training Matrices ..
• Support service partnerships - Implemented, where needed, partnerships then developed and structured them to support the in-house resources to optimise internal customer service.
• Strategic change - identified key operational weaknesses and coordinated improvements and implementations - Apprentice training, Production Control and flow, Clearance of quality bonded stock, Departmental and indirect purchasing financial reporting, 5S. Senior member of manufacturing strategy group reformatting the site.
Site Operations Manager
Up to May 2011
Managing an independent £10m production plant for Tyco Electronics, (TE Connectivity) whilst carrying out International Strategic projects and implementing major cultural change.
• Business improvement - Increased turnover two fold, achieved Division leading metrics for customer service, Quality, Safety and Cost productivity. Leading to a Global TE award.
• Operational development - Implemented Lean systems in UK and supported in Europe, developed and implemented MRP and Sales and Operation planning, restructured Plant.
• Systems control - Managed plant under ISO 9001, ISO 14001, TS19649 as well as tough corporate system requirements. Implemented ISO 18001. Working on system Integration
• Strategic change - Projects managed to review transfer of production to Ukraine and Central Europe, develop a comprehensive manufacturing strategy for a key product line, co-ordinate the global supply of CNC machine tools to plants in Europe and America and sub-contracting to partners in Low Cost countries.
UK and Overseas
Interim position working for UK and Overseas investors. Developing new channel to market for an innovative, Engineered and Modular product system for the Construction Industry.
• UK Market analysis, Business Plan creation, detailed UK Product specification, development of Key suppliers, Marketing planning for UK launch, Roll out.
Market Sector Manager
Growing Hilti's (~$20m) turnover in the Global Nuclear and Telecom' Market Sectors
• New Approaches - Initiated new contacts and systems to support the relationships created with the Engineering Heads of the Worlds most active Nuclear Power Plant Design Authorities in Russia, China and India. Won major ($1m+) contracts.
• New Partnerships - Coordinated the creation and implementation of "Sole Global Supplier" ($5m+) with the largest supplier of Telecom Network equipment and initiated same with next 2 major players.
Ensured the successful management of the flagship range of anchoring products turning over £50m p.a. and developing strategies to double turnover
• New Product development - Drove the Project to develop the next generation of the world's best product in its field, Hilti's Flagship mechanical anchor, the (£20m) HSL.
• Product Management - Initiated and developed new products, strategies and central Market / Sales support systems, for a £50m, 120+ countries, complex engineered product group.
• Business Strategy Development and implementing strategic review - Core team member involved in targeting and implementing 50% growth in five years creating first CHF1 Billion (£450m) business unit in Hilti.
Key Projects Manager, Supply Chain
Global Supply Chain
Led implementation of revolutionary projects within Hilti's newly created Global Supply Chain function, 1st tier reporting.
• Led implementing production in China - Hilti power tool Production (£4m+ p.a.) is now 20% cheaper and progressing down due to initiating significant Chinese component supply
• Opening an Asian Sourcing / Design centre - Seeking the right base inside China; Setting up systems; Employing / developing staff; Initiating formal acceptance and effective support from Europe.
Unit General Manager
Hilti Industries Ltd
Running all operational areas of Hilti's £16m UK production operation
• Restructuring of Manufacturing - Created a structure of two modern devolved Units from a traditional Black country production plant
• Production Management - 140 staff, unionised environment, tough performance targets, full budgetary and cost control responsibility driving reductions each year.
• Plant Closure - Following involvement in the decision; played a leading role in negotiating the termination agreements for 140 Unionised employees, without confrontation, then controlling the winding down and transfer of £16m of production with no delays
Director of QA
Assigned the task of building a world beating quality performance following the summary dismissal of former Plant Quality management team
• Creating Quality systems - restructured to a Process quality system and operation in line with Swiss Head Office targets.
• Achieving Quality accreditation - ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified by the Swiss Quality Service
Director of Engineering
Driving Product development / Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Tooling and Works Engineering functions for engineered products made and assembled on high performing, state of the art equipment.
• Reducing downtime and cost - implemented professional predictive maintenance systems and efficient controls that saved 1% of lost time, reduced energy cost by 32% and operating costs by £125k
• Redesigning factory - designed and implemented optimum layout to assist flow, reduce travel, release space and allow installation of additional, flexible flow line assembly.
Manufacturing Manager / Director of Production
New and later expanded role to take charge of all aspects of Production and introduce change within a long established, traditional team
• Implementing and managing modern production techniques - many examples ISO 9001, 'lean', 5S, MRP, TPM, TQM
• Suspended a complete Plant shift by shift - then negotiated a settlement within 6 hours. Going on to become a well-respected Manager in the same Plant
Qualifications & Certifications
BA (hons) Business Studies
Bristol Poly' / University of West of England
Is this your profile?
If this is your profile, then you can claim it now and log into your account.
We will need to verify your account and email address before you can log in. To claim your profile now, please use the 'Claim Profile' button below.
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more