My passion is helping people communicate in authentic and compassionate ways. Conflict is a natural part of life and when handled appropriately, can move us forward in amazingly positive ways. Most of us however have not been taught how to communicate effectively, meaning natural conflict can leave us demotivated and disillusioned. As an expert in communication and a trained mediator, I work with individuals, teams and organizations to improve interpersonal communication, creating more positive work environments, building positive organizational reputation, and reducing absenteeism and attrition. I specialize in communication in health care and academic contexts, with a focus on understanding how culture (micro and macro) influences patterns of spoken and written communication. My goal is to help people communicate effectively in both professional and personal relationships.
I work with individuals, teams and organizations to improve interpersonal communication using the ethos of Non-Violent Communication (NVC).
Elephant in the Room Communications Consultancy
From April 2011
• Expertise in health care communication
• Training in Non-Violent Communication (NVC)
• Research services for short and long term projects
• Workplace mediation and dispute resolution
• Professional audits of organization communication processes
• Communication training for managing workplace conflict and working in teams
• Expertise in cross-cultural communication
• Writing services (proofreading, editing, copy writing)
MA TESOL Program Leader
University of York, UK
September 2006 - December 2011
The University of York is one of the UK's top ten universities for teaching and research.
With over 145 students from all over the world, the MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is the largest such MA in the UK. As Program Leader my responsibilities included:
• Providing leadership for the student cohort and oversee student academic and pastoral welfare
• Liaising with international recruitment and curriculum development
• Managing student supervisors and ESL support
• Program development to accommodate growth of cohort (from 48 -140 students over a 4 year period)
• PhD, Master's and Undergraduate teaching /supervision
• Conducting research and publishing
• Writing research and funding bids
• Serving and contributing to various University committees
• College Dean responsible for student welfare
• Production Editor for Asian EFL Journal
I have worked with several General Practitioner (GPs - medical doctors) organizations to facilitate better interpersonal communication within the organization and to proactively manage workplace conflict.
Mental Health and Well-being Task Force
This project involved facilitating meetings in an academic context relating to issues of supports (current and desired) for the mental health and well-being of students and staff, along with writing the final executive report.
Qualifications & Certifications
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) of the University of Toronto
MA in French
University of Toronto
Certificate in Adult Education
City and Guilds
BA French Language and Literature
University College London
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more