Railway Transport Worker
H.N., Dash P.K., Mohapatra S., Swain M.R
Bio-ethanol production from tuber crops using fermentation technology: a review. International J of Sustainable Energy.
M.R. and Das, P.K
Beer production an industrial approach and advance methods. Edt. Dr. R.C. Ray, Food technology (vol.-2) CRC publishing house.
14. Swain, M. R. (2013). Recent trends in production of bio-ethanol from agricultural waste. In: Industrial and environmental biotechnology. Stadium press LLC USA.
1. Mobin, M., Swain, M.R., Sahu, S., Ray, R.C. and Misra, A. (2004). Jack fruit (Atrocarpus heterophyllus L.): A source for competitive commercial wine. In: Role of Microbes in Agriculture, Industries and Mine (Eds., R.C. Mohanty and U.B. Mohapatra), National Seminar on Role of Microbes in Agriculture, Industries and Mine, 21 March , 2004, pp.52-58.
2. Swain, M. R. and Ray, R.C. (2005). Post harvest of yam (Dioscoria spp.) tubers and microbial control by cowdung microflora. In: Achievements and opportunities postharvest Management and value addition in root and tuber crops, proceeding of the symposium held on 29 - 31 October, 2005 at Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Trivandrum, India, p 76.
3. Ray, R.C., Swain, M. R., Naskar, S. K. and Edison, S. (2005) Post harvest rot of yam (Dioscoria spp.) root and their biological control. In Second global conference Plant health-Global wealth, proceeding of the Symposium held on 25-29 November 2005 at Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. p. 167.
4. Chowdhury, P., Swain, M.R. and Ray, R.C. (2005). Malolactic fermentation of sweet potato wine. In: Achievements and opportunities postharvest Management and value addition in root and tuber crops, proceeding of the Symposium held on 29 - 31 October, 2005 at Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Trivandrum, India, p 120.
Bio-ethanol Production from Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) Flour using Co-Culture of Trichoderma sp. and Saccharomyces cerevisiae in Solid-State Fermentation. Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology. 56, 171-179 ISSN 1516-8913 (Impact factor:0. 66)
23. Swain M.R. and Ray R.C. (2008). Optimization of culture conditions and their statistical interpretation for production of indole-3-acetic acid by Bacillus subtilis CM5 using cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) fibrous residue. Journal of Scientific Industrial Research. 67:622-628. (Cited: 2 times) (Impact factor: 0. 587 )
24. Swain M. R.., Ray R.C., Mohapatra U. B. (2008). Optimization of thermostable exo-polygalacturonase production by Bacillus subtilis CM5 in submerged fermentation using response surface methodology. Plant Sc. Res. 30 (1&2): 6-13.
International J. of Green Energy
31. Swain, M. R., Dash P.K. and Thatoi H.N. * Comparative Study on Bioethanol Production from enzyme Saccharified Sweet potato (Ipomoea batata L) flour by Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Zymomonas mobilis. International J. of Green Energy, 2013 (under revision).
12. Swain, M.R. and Das, P.K
Fermented beverages from tropical and subtropical fruits: A panorama. Studium press ( India), Pvt.Ltd., New Delhi.
Dangar T. K. and H. N. Thatoi
Diversity and seasonal fluctuation of predominant microbial communities in Bhitarkanika, a tropical mangrove ecosystem in India. International Journal of Tropical Biology and Conservation 60 (2): 909-924. (Impact factor: 0. 33 )
19. Behera S., Ray R. C., Swain M.R. and Mohanty R. C. (2013). Post-harvest spoilage of mahula (Madhuca latifolia L.) flowers: preliminary studies. Journal of Agricultural Technology (Accepted). (0.321)
Mohanty R. C. and Biswal A. K
Traditional knowledge on the utilization of mahula (Madhuca latifolia L.) flowers by the santhal tribe in similipal biosphere reserve, Odisha, India: A survey. Annals of Tropical Research (Accepted).
21. Panda, S., Swain, M.R., Singh, S., Ray, R. (2012). Proximate composition of a herbal purple sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) wine. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. DOI: 10.1111/j.1745-4549.2012.00681.x (Impact factor: 0. 553 )
Thatoi H. N
Characterization, Identification and Comparative Evaluation of Bioethanol Tolerance and Production Capacity of Isolated Yeast Strains from Fermented date palm sap (toddy). Malaysian J. Microbiology: (Accepted).
29. Swain, M.R., Das, N. N., Thatoi, H.N. (2012) Process Optimization for Saccharification of Sweet potato (Ipomoea batata L.) root flour for Bioethanol production by using Commercial grade enzymes. Biomass and Bioenergy. (Under revision)
(Bacterial) control of pre- and post- harvest diseases of root and tuber crops. In: Plant Productivity and Microbial Interactions Springer Pvt. Ltd. Publisher. (article in press).
R.C. and Swain M.R
Indigenous Fermented Foods and Beverages of Odisha, India: an Overview. In: Traditional foods and beverages of South Asia. Taylor and Francis Pvt. Ltd. Publisher (article in press)
Ramesh C. Ray
Agricultural and Biotechnological Potential of Bacillus subtilis: Isolated from Cow-dung Microflora. Lambart pvt. German. (ISBN: 978-1-61209-655-1)
• Shaktimay Kar, Ramesh C. Ray, Manas R. Swain (2011). Extracellular thermostable α-amylase production from Streptomyces erumpens. Lambart pvt. German. (ISBN: 978-3-3443-9790-1).
LIST OF CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
1. Sahoo, A.K., Swain, M.R., Pattnaik, M.S., Ray, R.C., and Edison, S. (2005). Bioethanol from agricultural produce and waste: potential and constraints. In: Microbes in our Live. Post-Graduate course in Applied and Industrial Microbiology (PGAIM), Department of Botany, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar-751004, India.
Swain M. R. and Ray R.C
An overview on microbial biocontrol for a sustainable horticultural practice. In: Microbial Biotechnology, Narosa Publication, India. (ISBN: 978-81-8487-131-9)
Panda S. H. and Lata
Microbial control of postharvest spoilage microorganisms of horticultural crops. In: Bioremediation, Bio-augmentation and Biocontrol Soil Microbiology (Series). Springer Pvt. Ltd. Publisher. (in press)
R. C. and Swain M. R
Bio-ethanol, bio-plastic and other fermented industrial products from cassava starch and flour,: In: Cassava: Farming, Uses and Economic Impact. Nova Science publisher, Inc, Germany. (ISBN: 978-1-61209-655-1).
M.R., Ray, R.C. and Patra, J.K
Citric acid: microbial production and applications in food and pharmaceutical industries. In: Nova Science publisher, Inc, Germany. (ISBN 978-1-62100-353-3).
M.R., Panda, S., Ray R.C. and Panda S.P
Pretreated lignocellulosic wastes: alternative of value added products production. In: National Resources Conservation and Environment Management. APH Publishing Corporation, New Delhi, India. (ISBN 978-81-313-0709-0)
Engineering approach in solid state fermentation for industrial application, In: Microbial Biotechnology. APH Publication. India. (ISBN: 978-81-313-0849-3)
Aspergillus spp. association
with major crops and it's pathogenic effects, In: Mycological advances. Himalayan publication, India (article in Press)
The most requested articles in MICROBIOLOGICAL RESEARCH
January 2009 - December 2009
). Oxalic acid Production by Fusarium oxysporum Schlecht and Botryodiplodia theobromae Pat. , Post-harvest fungal pathogens of yams (Dioscorea rotundata L.) and detoxification by Bacillus subtilis CM1 isolated from culturable cowdung microflora. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection. 42(7): 666-675. doi: 10.1080/03235400701 288444. (Cited: 2 times)
5. Swain, M.R., Naskar, S.K. and Ray, R. C. (2007). Indole-3-acetic acid production and effect on sprouting of yam (Dioscorea rotundata L.) minisetts by Bacillus subtilis isolated from culturable cowdung microflora. Polish Journal of Microbiology. 56(2): 103-110. (Impact factor: 0.76) (Cited: 18 times)
Kar S. and Ray R. C
Exo-polygalacturonase production by Bacillus subtilis CM5 in solid state fermentation using cassava bagassae. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology. 40:636-648. (Impact factor: 0.90) (Cited: 7 times)
10. Swain M.R., Laxminarayana, K. and Ray, R.C. (2012). Phosphorus solubilization by Bacillus subtilis strains isolated from culturable Cow dung microflora. Agricultural Research. DOI 10.1007/s40003-012-0022-x. ISSN: 2249-720X
11. Mohanty, S., Ray, P., Swain, M.R. and Ray, R.C. (2006). Fermentation of cashew (Anacardium occidentale L.) apple into wine. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 30: 314 -322. (Impact factor:1.815) (Cited: 15 times)
12. Ray, R.C, Kar, S., Nayak, S. and Swain, M.R. (2008). Extracellular α- amylase production by Bacillus brevis MTCC 7521. Food Biotechnology. 22:1-13. (Impact factor: 1.00) (Cited: 6 times)
13. Panda, Smita H., Swain, M.R., Kar, S., Montent, D. and Ray, R.C. (2007). Statistical optimization of α-amylase production by Lactobacillus plantarum MTCC 1407 in submersed fermentation. Polish Journal of Microbiology. 57(2):149-155. (Impact factor: 0.66) (Cited: 2 times)
14. Kumar, K.K., Swain M.R., Sahoo, U. C., Panda, Smita H. Ray, R.C., (2007). Fermentation of litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.) fruits into wine. Food. 2(1): 43-47. (Cited: 2 times)
S., Swain, M.R., Ray, R.C
Statistical optimization of alpha-amylase production with immobilized cells of Streptomyces erumpens MTCC7317 in Luffa cylindrica L. sponge disc. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 152(2):177-188. (Impact factor: 1. 943) (Cited: 13 times)
Ray R. C. and Lata
Tomato Crop: plant growth promoting rhizobacteria in growth, yield and Productivity. In: Tomatoes: Agricultural Procedures, Pathogen Interactions and Health Effects, Nova Science publisher, Germany. (ISBN: 978-1-60876-869-1)
Behera S.S., Thatoi H.N., Swain M.R
From December 2008
(2012) Chitosan- ca alginate immobilized saccharomyces cerevisiae: a novel technique for bioethanol production from mahula (madhuca latifolia l.) in 2nd National Conference on 'Recent Advances in Bioenergy Research' to be organized on December 7-8, 2012 at sss-nire, Kapurthala.
Ray R. C
Bioethanol production from Mahula (Madhuca latifolia L.) flowers by solid-state fermentation. Applied Energy. 86: 640-644. (Impact factor: 5.106 ) (Cited: 40 times)
17. Ray. R.C., Panda, S., Swain, M.R.., Sivakumar, S. (2012). Proximate composition and sensory evaluation of anthocyanin rich purple sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) wine. International Journal of Food Science Technology 47: 452-458 (Impact factor: 1. 259) (Cited: 2 time)
The most requested articles in MICROBIOLOGICAL RESEARCH
January 2007 - December 2007
M. R. and Ray, R.C
). Statistical optimization for α-amylase production by Bacillus subtilis CM 3 isolated from cowdung microflora in solid-state fermentation using cassava fibrous residue. Journal of Basic Microbiology. 47(5): 417-128. (Impact factor:1.266) (Cited: 17 times)
7. Swain M.R., Ray R.C. and Nautiyal C.S (2008). Biocontrol efficacy of Bacillus subtilis strains isolated from cow dung against post-harvest yam (Dioscorea rotundata L.) pathogens. Current Microbiology. 55 (5):407-411. (Impact factor:1.815) (Cited: 15 times)
8. Swain M.R., Ray R. C. (2010). Production, characterization and application of a thermostable exo-polygalacturonase by Bacillus subtilis CM5. Food Biotechnology. 24: 37-50 (Impact factor:1.00) 5436 (Cited: 9 times)
). Partial characterization and optimization of extra - cellular α-amylase from Bacillus subtilis isolated from culturable cowdung microflora. Polish Journal of Microbiology. 55 (4): 289-296. (Impact factor: 0.76) (Cited: 18 times)
3. Swain, M. R. and Ray, R.C. (2009). Biocontrol and other beneficial activities of Bacillus subtilis isolated from cowdung microflora. Microbiological Research. 164: 121-130. (Impact factor: 2.534 ) (Cited: 32 times)
N. Jena, B.C. and Swain, M.R
New fungal pathogens associated with turmeric (Cucuma longa L.) in orissa. Journal of Plant Protection and Environment. 2(3): 117-119.
26. Ranasingh, N. Jena, B.C. and Swain, M.R. (2007). Important fungal pathogens associated with ginger (Zingibare officinalium L.) in orissa. Journal of Plant Protection and Environment. 4(1):116-120.
27. Swain M. R., Anandharaj M., Ray R. C. , Rani R. P. (2014) Fermented Fruits and Vegetables of Asia: A Potential Source of Probiotics. Biotechnology Research International 04/2014.
M.R., Sarangi, B. and Ray, R.C
). Exploitation of biocontrol microorganism from cowdung microflora against Fusarium sp. and Botryodiplodia theobromae causing post harvest rot of yams. Root and tuber crops in nutrition, food security and suitable environment (Eds.S.K. Naskar, M. Neduchezhiyan, K.R. Rao, P.S. Sivakumar, R.C. Ray, R.S.Misra, S. Mukherjee), Central Tuber Crops Research Institute (Regional Center).ICAR.pp.206-212. (ASBN:81-903825-0-0)
6. Swain, M. R. and Ray, R.C. (2007).Oxalic acid production by yam pathogenic fungi (Fusarium oxysporum and Botryodiplodia theobromae) and detoxification by Bacillus subtilis strain isolated from cowdung microflora. In: 14th Triennial Symposium of The international society for Tropical Root Crops held on 20 - 26 November, 2006 at Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Trivandrum, India, p. 272.
7. Ray, R.C., Swain, M.R., Dora, D.K. (2011).Fermentation: an avenue for value addition of tropical and sub-tropical fruits. National Seminar on Bio-Diversity and sustainability of tropical and sub-tropical fruit crops, held on 25 - 26 February , 2011 Organized by Orissa Horticultural Society, OUAT, Bhubaneswar, Orissa. Pp. 62-68.
8. Mishra, J., Swain, M.R., Thatoi, H.N. (2010). Evaluation of ethanol production in selected substrates by submerged fermentation using yeast strain isolated from fermented date sap. National Conference on New Frontiers in Life Science, 13th Odisha Bigyan Congress. 9- 10 th December, P.102.
9. Behera S.S., Patra J.K., Das S.K., Swain M.R., Dash S., Patnaik S.C. and Thatoi H.N. (2011). Synthetic and characterization of iron oxide nanoparicles and evaluation of their antibacterial activity. In: National Seminar on nanomedicine and application., 13th August, 2011 organized by P.L. Nayak Research Foundation, Synergy Institute of Technology and Bio-Lab. p-47.
10. Dash P.K., Thatoi H.N., Swain M.R. (2012) Bioethanol production from sweet potato by using co-immobilization of saccharomyces cerevisiae and zymomonas mobilis" 53rd Annual...
Department of Botany, Utkal University
, Bhubaneswar, as a guest faculty/resource person since from 2004 to 2009.
• Worked as Lecturer at IASE off-campus University, Bhubaneswar to teach B. Tech Biotechnology students for one year (April 2007 to July 2008).
• Six months M. Sc. Dissertation work entitled "Alcoholic beverages from Madhuca indica L" at Regional Centre of Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Bhubaneswar 751019.
• Worked as Senior Research Fellow in ICAR Ad-hoc Project entitled "Microbiological evolution of cowdung on post-harvest spoilage and sprouting behavior of yams" under the supervision of Dr. R. C. Ray (Principal Scientist, Microbiology) from July 2004 to July 2007 and worked as research person for one year (April 2007 to July 2008) at same institute.
1. Bio-Ethanol Production from Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas) By Simultaneous Saccharification and Fermentation by Trichoderma spp. and Yeasts Strains Isolated From Different Natural Sources, Principal Investigator funded by DST, Govt. of Orissa: budget -7.9 lakhs
2. Optimization of fermentation technology for pilot scale bioethanol production and value added product development from sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas l.), Co-Investigator, submitted to DST, Govt. of Orissa: budget -74 lakhs (at final stage of evaluation)
Lecturer at Department of Biotechnology
Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering and Technology (CIPHET), PAU Campus
From December 2003
➢ National Training programme on "Fermentation technology for production of value added products from agricultural residues" held at the Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering and Technology (CIPHET), PAU Campus, Ludhiana- 141 004, Punjab from December 3-16, 2012.
➢ Training on applied multivariate data analysis for biological social sciences, Regional Centre of Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Bhubanseswar, Odisha, India
➢ National Workshop on Multifunctional Nanomaterials organized by Department of Physics, Institute of Technical Education and Research S 'O' A University, Bhubanswar, Odisha, India.
➢ Training on Gene Connected in DND finger printing Method and Blotting Technique in collaboration with bioscience division of Merck Nillipore.
• Worked as Lecturer at Department of Biotechnology, College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar, from February 2010 to April 2013 to teach B. Tech Biotechnology Students.
• Worked as Technical assistant at Department of Biotechnology, College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar, from November 2008 to January 2010
FOREIGN OR INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS
(PUBLISHED IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL)
1. Swain, M.R., Kar, S., Sahoo, A.K. and Ray, R.C. (2007). Ethanol fermentation of mahula (Madhuca latifolia L.) flowers using free and immobilized yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiological Research 162: 93-98. (Impact factor: 2.534) (Cited: 38 times)
Qualifications & Certifications
North Orissa University Baripada
North Orissa University
Applied and Industrial Microbiology
Odisha Bigyan Academy
Technical University of Denmark
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more