Field Cost Engineer (ing Specialist)
From December 2011
December 2011 – Present (1 year 6 months)|Surmont 2, Alberta
- Assist in overseeing the development and maintenance of Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) budgets, ensuring costs remain updated and in line with wider owner's project objectives.
- Work with EPC Project Controls and client Project and Construction Management Teams (PMT and CMT) to identify risks, opportunities, trends and update owner's forecast accordingly.
- Provide independent forecast completion costs based on trends including productivity measurement, earned value, labour rate analysis, commitments, change management, schedule impacts and material cost variances.
- Oversee EPC's management of cost activities for contractor/s and sub-contractors and lead the monitoring, reviewing and analysis of project cost activities.
- Collaborate and exchange information & ideas with EPC Planning & Scheduling and Cost Accounting to ensure client's project controls standards are implemented appropriately.
- Guide EPC Project Controls to complete their work in a timely fashion as required.
- Facilitate risk management and contingency management process as required.
- Assist in generating, developing and implementing the Authorization for Expenditure (AFE) process.
- Assist/facilitate Annual Budgeting, Long Range Planning (LRP), Front End Loading (FEL) and Supplemental Budget Submission process as required.
- Assist/facilitate in high level monthly reporting for management and JV partners.
- Aid in the development of project controls procedures and ensure the implementation of the procedures within EPC project controls group.
- Understand technical EPC documentation to keep project budgets up to date and in line with project objectives.
- Review project integrated cost reports, forecasts, schedules and trends prepared by EPC Cost Controllers.
Project Cost Lead
Vista Projects Limited
October 2004 - December 2011
- Developed Change Management, Enhanced Earned Value, Materials Management, Cost Reporting, and Cash Flow systems for +$900MM Engineering projects.
- Facilitated development of a 3-year, 5000 task schedule for a $600MM SAGD project and authored a +$60MM detailed engineering piping (PVF) cost estimate/material take-off.
- Created unique Forecast (spend profile) curves for capital Cash Flow management using regression analysis on historical data, increasing forecast and accrual accuracy by 60%.
- Monitored and analyzed budget variations, including all changes to project, schedule variances, and associated contingency allowance.
- Maintained cost reports for +600MM projects, analyzing cost factors, performing trend analysis, productivity analysis and earned value analysis.
- Codified and templated Cost Control systems developed for company wide projects, increasing overall efficiency of future projects multi-fold.
- Established and enforced cost management procedures using advanced Excel, embedding checks and balances on cost numbers across various reports.
Production Engineering Data Technician
September 1995 - September 2000
- Analysed and administered ESP data, streamlining tasks from 16 to less than an hour.
- Increased turnaround 10% by co-authoring the inventory database extracts in Excel.
- Co-supervised pump repair shop and three ESP technicians.
- Minimized shop operating costs through efficient report management strategies.
- Designed production report management system using Excel Visual Basic Macros, reducing generation time by 90%, increasing accuracy and efficiency by 800%.
- Automated enhanced engineering reports/charts from Excel, Oil Field Manager, Access, Crystal, and other software, cutting over 50 hours of work monthly.
Analytical, results-oriented professional with proven success in streamlining processes and increasing cost management efficiency.
Desire to continually grow within project management, with opportunities for increasing responsibilities and advancement, requiring proven ability to maximize efficiency by implementing innovative project controls and cost analysis solutions.
Qualifications & Certifications
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute
Applied Project Management Diploma
Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Commerce
University of Calgary