An Engineer with an MBA and over 30+ years banking experience mainly in the GCC.Credited with "Gulf First "transactions some of which won the Euromoney"Deal of the Year Award".Worked for CITI, American Express,Arab Petroleum Investments Corp."APICORP",Gulf International Bank"GIB",Gulf Investment Corp." GIC",Global Investment House,Development Enterprise Holding (A Subsidiary of Kuwait Finance House) and currently a "Freelance Consultant"
Trained by AMEX,CITI,Chase attended Seminars at St .Antony's College Oxford University,JP Morgan,Goldman Sachs,EUROMONEY.Speaker on Various Subjects during GCC Symposiums & Seminars.
Established the Corporate Finance function at GIC,Introduced GIC to Infrastructure Investment and Finance,Arranged GIC's First $ 300 million MTN.Advised on the First BOT power plant in the Gulf"Manah Power Station",Lead adviser for the restructure of the Saudi Electricity Sector, the establishment of Saudi Electricity Co and the Merger of the then 10 Separate Electricity entities,Privately Placed $ 700 million of Qatar telecom Privatised Shares"QTEL",Co-Advised with Lazard Oman Gov on funding the Upstream portion of Oman LNG,Arranged the first Euro Loan financing for the expansion of SADAF(Sabic-Shell),the 2,400 MW Ghazlan 2 Power Station in Saudi,Negotiated an MOU with EGPC for the Expansion of Assiut Refinery in EGYPT and "ADD-AIR" Technology for the replacement of Polystyrene by "PET" in various applications.
- Full time
- Part time
- One time
Established the Corporate Finance function @Gulf Investment Corporation.Introduced Gulf First Transactions some won the Euro Money" Deal of the Year" award.
Lead Advisor for the Restructure of the Saudi Electricity Sector including (financial,legal,human resources,Technical,Administrative ..)In addition to merging the then 10 Separate utilities into a new Saudi Electricity Company.
Private Placement of the Privatised Qatar Telecom Shares in the GCC outside Qatar.
Raising $ 1.2 billion to finance the Equate Petrochemical plant in Kuwait
Prepared the Bid to acquire Al-Hidd power station in Bahrain and expanding it.Participated with the World Bank to prepare the Kuwait Privatisation Study .With Lazard Brother advised on the Financing of Oman LNG upstream
Head Financial advisor and Business development Director
September 2009 - September 2009
Private equity,Sell/Buy side adviser,Oil , Gas , Power & Infrastructure Investments and Finance
Project Finance,Corporate finance & investment banking
Provide clients in diverse industries with strategic and tactical aid in complex problem solving and major deal making including a $ 1.5 billion Cayman Islands registered Infrastructure Fund. Conduct in-depth research into clients' unique sectors. Compare company performance vs. local, regional, and global competitors. Identified KPI's, financing needs and sources, restructuring needs, risks and risk mitigation.
• Sold 50% ownership in Kuwaiti healthcare company to major institutional investor and a 60% ownership in locally accredited Kuwaiti Oil Sector contractor to major private sector oil company; involved writing detailed prospectus including financial projections, industry analysis, presentations to potential buyers, analysis and selection of optimal bid, and negotiated Sales and Purchase Agreement and closing deal
• Structured $1.5B Middle East North Africa (MENA) Infrastructure Fund registered in Cayman Islands for a subsidiary of a leading Kuwaiti conglomerate.
• Reviewed and built strategy for sale of small packaging company. Prepared business plan(s), prospectus, and Investor's presentation. Negotiated the sales and Purchase agreement.
• Proposed, and advised Delta Oil on the establishment of a Saudi holding company as a nucleus for MENA/GCC wide waste plastics recycling company. Negotiated with Technology provider "Exclusivity Agreement" and a supply contract for the first plant near Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
• Advised Delta Oil on the establishment of a 400,000 Barrels/Day Crude Oil Refinery in Egypt including negotiation of a Memorandum of Understanding "MOU "with the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation "EGPC".
• Negotiated with the developer of "ADD AIR" technology -produces superior quality PET using 50% of the standard process raw materials- a license and a Middle East North Africa "MENA' agency.
• Instructor (part-time) at the American University of Kuwait, teaching International Business, Marketing Research and, Organizational...
CONSULTANT HOUSE, Kuwait
Head of Business Development
Strategized and led plans to establish new subsidiary to provide advisory services to parent company's industrial subsidiary, and then sell services to 3rd parties. Oversaw all aspects of company formation. Developed policies, procedures, job descriptions, budgets, and market services. Hired the technical team. Identified and cultivated investment opportunities for various subsidiaries. Targeted and analysed companies for potential acquisition. Prepared check lists for due diligence and evaluation processes. Structured and negotiated investment sales. Supervised 4 direct reports.
• Played pivotal role in successful planning and launch of start-up subsidiary owned by largest Islamic Bank in Kuwait, and 2nd largest in Gulf, Kuwait Finance House (KFH).
• Eliminated ~50% of projected start-up costs, building clear business plan, participating actively in both large and small details, and establishing robust framework and clear roadmap to success.
• Identified, developed, and advised on high-return opportunities in multiple sectors including petrochemicals, refineries, tankers, pharmaceuticals, seamless pipes, and power generation.
• Won bid to acquire 51% of Jordan Petroleum Refining Company with group of investors.
• Created, negotiated, and oversaw due diligence process for acquisition of 33% of privately-held Jordanian pharmaceutical company.
• Conducted complete valuation of 3 potential acquisitions and restructuring of packaging company owned by sister company.
• Performed active role in negotiations for supply of styrene for potential grass-root polystyrene plant with Equate Petrochemicals in Kuwait.
• Laid groundwork for research into upgrade of Assiut Refinery in Egypt, negotiated memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC).
Head Financial Advisory
Gobal investment House
June 2006 - January 2008
Financial advisory + Board Member global Sudan +Acquisitions
Head of Financial Advisory & Board Member of Global Sudan
Led 8-person department conducting strategic stock and business valuations, feasibility studies, and acquisition due diligence for clients and Global; had $3B market cap and +12 subsidiaries in Arab world and 1 subsidiary in Hong Kong with total of +500 employees. Led bid efforts to acquire in conjunction with other investors a stake in; SEKER Bank & Port of Izmir in Turkey; DISI MEDAWARA water project in Jordan; a Liquefied Natural Gas 'LNG" storage tank facility in Mexico, and approved business plans & budgets, reviewed, monitored and evaluated the performance of Global Sudan as well as compliance and controls.
• Pinpointed and convinced senior management of value of diversifying portfolio by starting to invest in building material industry to capitalise on demand in construction industry.
• Infused above diversification strategy with vital capital, successfully recommending creation of Building Materials Fund to provide key portion of equity needed for investments.
• Proved without a doubt that UAE would require more than 1 additional plant in order to produce reinforced steel bars to support construction industry demand by developing pre-feasibility study.
• Raised ~$1B in project finance commitments to support bidding with 0% impact to credit line.
• Arranged a Memorandum of Understanding "MOU" with DEG (German equivalent of
International Finance Corporation "IFC") to jointly develop and finance Cement projects in Africa.
• Raised substantial funding to support major bids: 1st to acquire Seker Bank and Port of Izmir in Turkey, and 2nd to support $0.8B bid to develop DISI MEDAWARA water project in Jordan.
• Created high-return investment opportunities for 5 cement projects in 5 countries: Sudan, Yemen, Egypt, Algeria, and Tunisia; managed bid to acquire Egyptian cement licence.
• Secured memorandum of understanding for joint venture agreement to build cement plants throughout Africa with DEG; Germany's version of International...
Senior Vice President and Head of Corporate Finance & Utilities
GULF INVESTMENT CORPORATION
Secretary to Investment Committee & Board Member of Gulf Paramount
Tracked big ticket items to optimise resources and returns such as government or government-related projects for $10-18 B investment conglomerate owned by 6 countries, Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC): Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, and Oman. Analysed, reviewed, and monitored marketing plans in light of government budgets, announced projects, and business and market intelligence. Chaired weekly progress and crisis meeting with core staff. Managed key contacts with major clients, banks, and government agencies, amongst numerous others. Prepared reports for senior Management & Board and prepared various speeches to CEO on various subjects.
Achievements - GIC & GCC:
• Instrumental in transforming small non-profitable financial advisory segment into major corporate finance division realising 500% return on total cost, despite performing projects for other GIC divisions at $0 cost.
• Established GIC as major global player following liberation of Kuwait from Iraqi invasion, building high-performance professional matrix team, and winning numerous major mandates for GIC.
• Played major role in establishing GIC's outstanding reputation in privatisation, infrastructure finance, financial advisory, structured finance among shareholding countries, peers, and international banks, leading wins of multiple EUROMONEY "Deal of the Year" awards.
• Opened new lucrative stream, effectively convincing management to invest in utilities, and create $1B investment fund for infrastructure projects; subsequently appointed Head of Utilities.
• Responsible for arranging GIC bid to acquire Al-Hidd Water & Power station in Bahrain, including inviting 10 international operators, selecting and managing a technical consultant to manage technical issues relating to operator bid and Al-Hidd Water & Power Station.
• Organised very 1st $300M Medium Term Note issuing facility for GIC, and multiple local bond issues and...
SVP,Head Corporate Finance and Utilities
Gulf Investment Corporation "GIC"
September 1991 - May 2006
Established Corporate Finance Function and Utilities Function.Structured and implemented various Gulf First transactions that won Euromoney Deal of the Year.Chief consultant for the restructure of The Saudi electricuty sector and the creation Of Saudi Electricity Co.thru the merger of the then 10 electricity entities.Organized the road show, the placement and the book for the $ 750 million private placement of Qatar telecom"QTEL" outside Qatar,the first $ 300 million MTN For GIC,The First IPP project in the Guldf"MANAH power Station" in Oman.The bid to acquire" Al Hidd power station in Bahrain",The first $ 700 million Euroloan financing for a Sabic subsidiary,With Lazard advising Oman Govt on the financing of the UPstream of Oman LNG,restructuring the debt of Gulf Petrochemicals Industries"GPIC" in Bahrain as well as raising $ 140 million for their Grassroot Urea plant,Member of the team that raised the $ 1.2 bn financing for" Equate" petrochemicals in Kuwait,acquisition of Gulf Industrial investments co in Bahrain,Advised the GCC electrical Interconnect on the update of feasibility study,the establishment of the GCC Authority and the financing of the Interconnect,Established the small projects Initiative(a form of a venture capital).Placed a couple of IPO's and bond issues.Co-advised wioth World Bank the Privatization of Kuwait Study.Proposed to Sabic with Lazard Brothers the Acquisition of the then Union Carbide
Qualifications & Certifications
Lycée La Liberté de méadi