I bring more than three decades' experience as a business communicator to providing creative editing, graphic design and marketing services. I work on a project basis. I specialize in producing newsletters, brochures, flyers and other regular publications.
October 2009 - October 2009
I created the Parkinson Cafe to provide additional social, cultural and intellectual stimulation for people living with Parkinson's disease.
Owner/Marketing, Editing and Graphic Design Services
November 1996 - September 2012
Create and implement marketing and public relations plans, including writing, editing and designing regular publications.
Director of Publications & Employee Communications
Corrections Corporation of America
February 1992 - November 1996
Edited and designed publications, including a bi-monthly employee newsletter (in English and Spanish), to promote the company's strengths, accomplishments, goals and values to employees, shareholders, as well as current and prospective customers; wrote news releases and articles for national trade publications; developed and oversaw the administration of employee recognition programs designed to boost employee morale and productivity; and produced marketing presentations.
* Produced publications designed to enhance the company's reputation as the industry leader in private sector corrections.
* Developed a Facility of the Year Contest to help employees focus on the company's priorities and to recognize excellence in quality of service delivered, financial performance, community relations, employee relations and safety.
Public Information Officer
Ohio Department of Education
April 1990 - October 1991
Developed and implemented a marketing plan designed to increase positive awareness of the Ohio Department of Education both statewide and nationally. Strategies included writing daily news releases, calling reporters regularly, responding to media inquiries, and arranging media conferences and regular talk show appearances.
* Gained extensive, positive front-page coverage in Ohio's metropolitan daily newspapers announcing a new statewide proficiency tests program and the appointment of a new state superintendent.
* Created an Education Encyclopedia to promote Ohio's statewide programs.
Public Relations Director
Fekete + Company
January 1989 - January 1990
* Implemented media relations and marketing communications campaigns.
* Gained extensive feature coverage for the agency's clients in both print and electronic media.
Customer Communications Coordinator
JCPenney Financial Services' Marketing
January 1987 - January 1989
Promoted to manage a customer communications program. Responsibilities included producing printed materials to promote the company's products and services.
* Created a newsletter to educate customers about loss prevention.
* Managed a policy delivery package project to give new customers a favorable first impression.
* Initiated an anniversary letter program to recognize long-time customers.
* Increased the percentage of customers who renew with the company from 85.4 percent to 90 percent by improving customer communications.
Associate Communications Coordinator
JCPENNEY CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY
January 1985 - January 1987
Was hired into this newly created position to develop and implement an employee communications program, which included producing weekly and biweekly newsletters and daily bulletin board announcements, as well as planning monthly management communication meetings.
June 1984 - December 1984
Wrote a variety of publications, including newsletters, handbooks and marketing materials.
Ohio School Boards Association
January 1983 - January 1984
Edited the monthly OSBA Journal; served as the association's public information officer, which included writing news releases and planning media conferences; as well as planned and promoted seminars for school board members and school administrators.
* Initiated a statewide public service announcement program on educational excellence in Ohio.
* Increased Journal advertising sales as the result of a direct mail campaign to school suppliers.
Corporate Public Relations Coordinator
COPCO PAPERS, INC
January 1979 - January 1983
Edited a bimonthly employee newsletter; wrote news releases for local and national paper trade publications; coordinated the production of marketing materials; coordinated sales promotions, meetings and training/motivational programs; and wrote sales bulletins.
* Generated positive local and national publicity when the company moved and expanded.
Supervisor, Music and Browsing Rooms, The Ohio Union
The Ohio State University
January 1976 - January 1978
Hired staff; initiated, planned and promoted weekly concert series.
I create postcards to promote events, products, services or fund-raising campaigns.
I have been editing and designing professional newsletters for more than three decades.
I produce professional marketing brochures.
I have created logos for numerous organizations.
Newsletter Editing and Graphic Design
I have edited and designed many regular newsletters for corporate and non-profit clients.
Qualifications & Certifications
Bachelor of arts degree
The Ohio State University
Meadowdale High School
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more