Claim you profile
Regular contributor ("Carson City Limits" and other content) for Random Lengths (circulation 56,000) in San Pedro, CA, 2001-present. Manga reviewer: LA Alternative (circulation 150,000), 2005-2006. Some manga reviews also ran in NY Press around this time. Entertainment reporting: Music Connection (circulation 75,000), 1983-1906. Travel writing: Oakland Tribune (1998) and Life After 50 (2006). Other bylines: Goldmine, Star Hits, Los Angeles Reader, Los Angeles Times, Long Beach Press Telegram, Blade, BAM, Daily Breeze, LA Weekly. Specializations include community news reporting, writing reviews (book, theater, concert, film, music), copywriting, resumes, editing, travel writing, publicity, screenwriting, lecturing, and content development. Education: B. A. Theater Arts, UCLA. Post-grad work, Education, Chapman University.
- Full time
- Part time
- One time
Ten years' experience: reporter, editor, copywriter, content provider.
Carson Venture Magazine
• Edited all editorial copy in four issues of bimonthly regional magazine.
• Supervised six freelance writers, assigned stories and deadlines.
Carson Venture Magazine, Carson, CA )
• Wrote at least one article in each of four issues, edited an average of ten stories per issue, until paper ceased publication.
• Interviewed sources, researched and verified facts as appropriate.
• Coordinated all aspects of publication production.
• Facilitated editorial meetings and prepared four editorial budgets.
• Produced weekly 400-word column for print and online multiplatform publication. Created, pitched, sold, wrote, edited, and published column entitled, "Manga, " of book reviews of translated Japanese manga available in USA.
• Column's run lasted forty issues until the host newsweekly ceased publication.
• Interacted with publishers including TokyoPop, VIZ, Media Blasters, and DMP.
• Researched and interviewed sources when appropriate.
I write a Carson-related story (often run under the heading "Carson City Limits") for every issue.
Contribute biweekly to the paper's "Carson City Limits" section. Cover the Carson community including local government, civic organizations, sports complexes, Congressional District, state legislature, and the arts. Turn in beat copy and seek out enterprising stories.
• Cover other community news regularly within the newspaper's coverage area.
• Produce short-form and long-form stories between 250-1800 words, including writing, editing, and publishing more than 500 by-lines in more than 200 issues over the past decade.
• Credits include more than seven cover stories about Carson politics and other subjects.
• Manage time and meet deadlines. Experience writing on deadline. Write, edit, proofread, and submit copy by deadline.
• Research information and verify facts. Interview sources when appropriate. Interact with all internal and external sources necessary to successfully complete assignments. Take photos and provide other graphic material as appropriate.
Worked as editorial staff assistant, writing and editing in-house stories and columns in approximately 100 issues.
• Edited writing projects as assigned. Raised awareness of issues of strategic importance. Researched information and verified facts. Interviewed sources when appropriate.
• Employed as regular contributor and reviewer for regional music magazine.
• Wrote on deadline and published more than 100 club, concert, and album reviews, along with service articles for working musicians, and interviews with top music industry insiders as well as breaking club bands.
Contributing Writer, Random Lengths
Contributing writer to fortnightly alternate newspaper Random Lengths in San Pedro. Write regular news articles and features.
Qualifications & Certifications
University of California at Los Angeles
Is this your profile?
If this is your profile, then you can claim it now and log into your account.
We will need to verify your account and email address before you can log in. To claim your profile now, please use the 'Claim Profile' button below.
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more