Qualified agricultural professional, with good knowledge and experience in Caribbean agriculture and of the relevant regional and international institutions.
Demonstrated competence in leadership, management, communication and partnership building. Currently provides services as a private consultant on Caribbean sustainable agriculture and food security.
Work experience includes two Senior Management positions with hemispheric and international organizations (Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture, and Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO/UN)) respectively. In both capacities represented these Organizations, in inter-governmental and technical meetings in the Caribbean as well as in hemispheric and global events in other regions.
Details of functions of the positions included Administration, Program coordination including leadership of Multidisciplinary teams, and multiple accreditations to Organizations and to member countries in the Caribbean.
Prior to above mentioned served with the Food and Agriculture Organization as National Professional Officer in the FAOR, Jamaica (Bahamas and Belize), as a tutor and research fellow at the Faculty of Natural Sciences at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus and as a Senior Research Officer, in the Department of Forestry, Ministry of Agriculture Jamaica.
Expert in Caribbean Agriculture and Food Security
Expert in Caribbean agriculture and food securiy for sustainable development
Subregional Representative in the Caribbean
Food and Agriculture Organization SUBREGIONAL OFFICE FOR THE CARIBBEAN
February 2005 - August 2009
February 2005 to August 2009 (retired from the Organization).
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS,
SUBREGIONAL OFFICE FOR THE CARIBBEAN, Bridgetown, Barbados
• Managed the physical, financial and human resources of the Sub-regional Office (SRO). Direct responsibility to deliver on the FAO country programs in seven countries and oversight and budget holder responsibility for subregional programs or projects for the sixteen countries under the SRO.
• Provided technical leadership to the FAO multidisciplinary team for the Sub-region and liaison with the FAO regional multidisciplinary team for Latin America and the Caribbean. Accountable to the Director General for leading processes to align the Caribbean regional priorities in agriculture and food security with the global strategic framework of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
• Provided oversight and coordination on management and monitoring and evaluation of projects on agriculture and food security, including relevant areas in policy, regulatory frameworks, production and support systems for crops, livestock, fisheries and forestry. Required direct participation in project formulation and management including monitoring and evaluation exercises for the CARICOM regional projects and programs.
• Managed staff of 8 international professionals, 4 national professionals and 15 administrative staff, in addition to non-staff project officers,
Representative in the Eastern Caribbean States
INTER-AMERICAN INSTITUE FOR COOPERATION ON AGRICULTURE
October 1996 - December 2004
• Reported to the Director of Operations for the Caribbean at IICA Headquarters. Managed the physical, human and financial resources under the Representation
• Directed development of national work programs of six Country Officers national professionals and delivered targeted technical assistance to the agriculture and farming sector in projects ranging from policy formulation and the strengthening of regulatory frameworks and quality assurance systems, to direct support to farmer associations and community based organizations.
• Established strong partnerships with regional stakeholders and development partners in order to broaden the array of resources available to IICA and encouraged the use of Institute's products and expertise. Main institutions include, Caribbean Group of Pesticide Control Boards, Caribbean Development Bank, Caribbean Environment Health Institute, Caribbean Agriculture Research and Development Institute.
• Provided technical leadership to the agriculture sector in support of the OECS subgroup's efforts to counter the impacts of trade liberalization on traditional agriculture export commodities and livelihoods.
• Developed, promoted and facilitated the alternative use of natural resources and capacities in rural communities (agro-tourism, rural women and youth activities, small crops farmer organizations) in order to diversify markets and economic activities
National Professional Officer
FAO/UN - Jamaica ( The Bahamas and Belize )
August 1984 - August 1996
1984 - 1996
NATIONAL PROFESSIONAL OFFICER (Reported to the FAO Representative).
• Developed the FAO Country Programs for the respective countries , monitoring and implementation and preparation of the Annual Reports and any special reports on emerging issues on the agriculture and related sectors.
• Liaison with Ministers of Agriculture and staff of the Ministry, other technical and agriculture financing institutions and development partners in the countries.
• Identified and formulated Technical Cooperation Projects in the areas of forestry, small-scale fisher folks, crops, small-livestock livestock, and sustainable management of the natural resources. Prepared briefs for identification of development projects and participated in evaluation missions.
• Organized FAO relevant meetings and events in the three countries
• Prepared keynote addresses for the Representative or visiting high level staff of FAO (Assistant Directors General), delivered keynote addresses on behalf of the Representative.
Research Fellow and Teaching Assistant- Faculty of Natural Sciencies
UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES- MONA JAMAICA
August 1980 - August 1984
Research Fellow and teaching Assistant
• Conducted research on the efficient use of soil water in mixed cropping systems. Research work contributed to award of PhD in 1986. Designated Regional Adviser on OAS Caribbean Project on Economic Biology of Underutilized Tropical Plants. (1983-84). Conducted tutorials and managed undergraduate laboratory in plant physiology1976-1980
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE- Department of Forestry Jamaica
January 1974 - January 1982
1974-1976 - Forest Recreation Officer
Senior Forest Research Officer ( 1976-82)
• Responsibility for the national silviculture and forest research program 9 forest pathology, forest genetics and agroforestry).
• Had special responsibility for the Forest Tree Breeding Program for Jamaica, prepared the first forest tree breeding program for Jamaica in consultation with tree breeders in Australia and at Oxford University.
• Supervised 7 forest professionals, and four forest technicians and the administrative support staff of the Unit.
• Carried out the functions of Director of Forestry from time to time.
• Considerable knowledge in forestry and watershed management acquired through study tours to forest operations in North America, Central America, Caribbean and the Pacific.
Institutionalization of Fresh Produce Quality Control Standards in the OECSd
Project managed in capacity as IICA Representative in cooperation with CPEC-CIDA- results included OECS fresh produce standards developed, endorsed and published, capacity building the the Bureaux of Standards in the OECS, and training of farmers and fresh produce exporters in fresh produce quality control .
Praedial Larceny in Caribbean agriculture
2010 prepared Analysis of Analysis of the State of Praedial Larceny in Member States of CARICOM and a Plan of Action to Deter and Prevent for CDEMA/FAO
2013 Issues Brief on Praedial Larceny in the Caribbean for FAO/UN
2014 Determining the Impact of Praedial Larceny on Sustainable Development in Jamaica for UNECLAC.
Qualifications & Certifications
PHD. - Crop Physiology
Univeristy of the West Indies, Mona
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more