Civil Engineer / Project Manager
As a semi-retired professional, I have 36 years experience in civil engineering and project management, ranging from heavy structures, buildings, services, water and sewer purification, etc. in industrial-, residential- and conservation areas.
From April 2011
Since my semi-retirement in 2011, I am involved in development projects, eg. a retirement village, etc.
S.A. NATIONAL PARKS
October 2000 - March 2011
Responsibilities as listed under points 3 plus:
• Manages the designs, specifications and quality control of buildings and services (water, sewer, electrical & game fencing), amounting to an average total of R 125 million pa, which form part of the Expanded Public Works- and Infra Structure Development Programs, funded by the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism, excluding the internal OPEX - and CAPEX projects.
• Area extended to cover all S.A. National parks (20) with exception of Kruger
• Direct reports: one Civil Engineer and two Senior Civil Technicians.
• Part time design and project management for, eg. chicken abattoirs.
January 1992 - September 2000
Provided an advice and support service for construction and maintenance aspects in 13 National Parks (which have assets above R300 million)
• Planned and managed the construction of buildings and services for above Parks, eg. 20 chalets at Addo, 36 timber log cabins, as well as semi-luxury units in various Parks, enlargement of restaurant at Tsitsikamma, tented camp at Marakele, etc.
• Assisted with the planning and implementation of maintenance on the existing infrastructure.
• Ensuring minimal environmental pollution during projects by adhering to EIA guidelines
• Ongoing liaison with Water Affairs/Environmental Affairs/Tourism depts./Regional
Councils/Municipalities and external consultants
• Ensuring the Occupational Health and Safety Act is adhered to throughout Parks
• All related budget control, record keeping and report writing
• Direct report: 1 Senior Civil Technician
Technical Services - Inland Parks
January 1990 - December 1991
Researched, planned and managed the construction of new buildings and services, as well as assisted with the maintenance of existing facilities in 9 National Parks.
• Member of Management Team for Inland Parks Division.
Skukuza - Kruger National Park
June 1985 - December 1989
Direct reports: 2 CAD Draughtsmen, a Senior Technician, Drawing Office Clerk and 3 Surveyors
• Selection and appointment of external Architects, Quantity Surveyors, Civil
Engineers, Geotechnical consultants.
• Design and construct entrance/reception complex at Skukuza rest camp, tourist accommodation, including single units, guest houses and wilderness camps, as well as staff housing, etc.
• Planning aspects and services for new rest camp at Karoo National Park
• Co-ordinated all projects, including maintenance of all assets in Park.
MAINARDI CIVIL CONTRACTORS
March 1984 - May 1985
Construction of 3 high voltage switch yards for ESKOM
• Construction of roads, culverts and storm water drainage at Matimba Power Station, Ellisras
• Extensions to existing roads and services at ISCOR township, Ellisras
• Sports and recreation complex at ISCOR township
Civil Engineer, Projects
November 1982 - February 1984
Managed all civil engineering construction and maintenance projects at Grootegeluk Coal Mine and Thabazimbi Iron Ore Mine (Training centre, staff housing, workshops, town streets, services, plant improvements, etc.)
• Managing, motivating and training of 2 Engineers, Quantity Surveyor, Engineering Technician, 5 Construction Supervisors, 2 Foremen and 16 Artisans
• Member of Grootgeluk Mine Management Team
Head of Civil
April 1981 - October 1982
Managed all civil maintenance and smaller construction projects.
Civil Project Engineer
September 1979 - March 1981
Managed various civil projects in Grootegeluk Coal Mine
2IC to Section Leader
Grootegeluk Coal Mine
January 1979 - August 1979
Contract manager (civil) of the primary plant construction.
Engineer in Training
Scientific and Mining Data Division
June 1978 - December 1978
Fault finding in Durnacol's water distribution system by means of computer simulation, etc.
Engineer in Training
December 1976 - May 1978
Design, documentation and contract management of projects eg. Wash bay for 120t trucks at Thabazimbi Iron ore mine, apprentice training centre at Kathu, etc.
B.Sc Engineering (Civil) (Full time
February 1973 - November 1977
February 1973 - June 1976
Universal Beam Mill Project
July 1972 - December 1972
Heavy Mill Section
January 1972 - June 1972
January 1969 - December 1971
Qualifications & Certifications
University of Cape Town
University of Stellenbosch Business School
University of Witwatersrand
University of Pretoria
University of Pretoria
Pretoria Technical College
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more