Project manager, Business Analyst and developer with varied industry experience
Role - Business Analyst
Client Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
January 2013 - May 2013
• As a business analyst within HMH, the role involves requirements gathering within an agile software development project
• HMH technology is a U.S. educational software provider. The technology delivery business in Dublin provides eReaders, essay writing, games, student evaluation software for education Districts within North America
• The project I worked was a shared annotations and file sharing subsystem for all HMH's educational applications
• I've chaired backlog grooming sessions and scrum sessions
• Involved with product owners, software engineers , pm's across teams to gather requirements
• On the team we worked on 2 week scrums in order to deliver software to integrated component systems
(eReaders, essay writing software and a notebook system)
• Chaired story point estimation of user stories
• Chaired & participated in Webex & face to face meetings to facilitate requirements gathering
• This was a distributed team with team members in Dublin , India and Serbia
• Received on formal Scrum training within HMH
• The tools I used on the project included Visual Paradigm, Odata, poker planning and JIRA
Project Manager / Developer Business Systems Analyst
April 2010 - December 2012
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Contract)
March 2009 - June 2009
• Worked on the Aviva Re-branding project, the company name changed from Norwich Union to Aviva
• Requirements gathering for ad-hoc reports requested by the Product development teams and Operations teams.
• Technologies worked with Ms Project, Ms Word, Microsoft Visio, UNIX, Microfocus COBOL, Linc 4gl, Oracle 9i, PL/SQL, MS SQL SERVER 2005, XML, VB 6.0 and VBA
Aviva Rebranding Project
• Monitoring and highlighting risks to higher management when scope changes occur
• Communications were sent to Aviva stake holders regularly
• Supporting and co-ordinating user testing, release migrations, implementations and post-implementation tasks
• Performed impact analysis for changes to core applications and reporting systems, as well as communicating these impacts to the stakeholders.
• Documenting business rules, processes and standards
Regulatory Sales and Asset data to Central Bank Ireland
• Scoping and creation of XML data sent to be sent to the regulator
• Documenting processes in the creation of the data and the use of the advanced spreadsheet
Role - IT Manager / Business Systems Analyst
July 2009 - March 2010
• Worked closely with all business users to ascertain their requirements
• Involved in all weekly management meetings to prioritize business changes
• Technologies and skills Linux, Apache Http Server, Java script, PHP, XHMTL, XML, Dreamweaver, Flash, MySQL, Visual Basic, Ms Access, Photo shop, Microsoft Project, Visio, OS ticket, jquery, flash, shell Scripting and Joomla
• Made use of process mapping and use case diagrams
• Business Analysis, Project Management and Development work undertaken in this role
• Budgets: Maintenance Project €300k a year, Phone system acquisition €30k
• People managed 2
Credit Bureau System and Debt Collection Systems
• Systems took in files from Dun and Brad Street, UK Courts and Irish Courts.
• External feeds included XML data to customers, files for the production of Stubbs Gazette and files to customers
• I was responsible for developing a Credit Bureau system, Debt Collection and Information Database
Infrastructure Support / Operational Support
• Responsible for contracts management, Vendor Management, acquiring PC's, Servers and Asteriks Ip telephone system
• Problems with systems were raised through OS tickets system and handled according to priority
Owner and Developer
July 2009 - August 2010
• Performed Web development work
• Worked on the delivery of an XML regulatory feed from Aviva International to the Central Bank of Ireland,
• I've provided this service to Aviva in April 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. Cater for change in XML format each year.
• Business offering includes Software Development and consultancy skills
• Did the website designs and logo designs
• My focus is on Web site design for small to medium companies
• Technologies and skills Apache Http Server, Apache Tomcat Server, Java, JSP, Java script, PHP, XHMTL, XML, Dreamweaver, Flash, MySQL, and Photo shop, Microsoft Project and Joomla.
• Some web clients www.purion.ie, www.pclaptopman, www.businesspro.ie and apmg.ie
Senior Analyst Programmer - Irish Revenue Services
Accenture Outsourcing Dublin
April 2008 - March 2009
• Delivered software to the Systems test environment and supported it for 3 releases for the corporate taxations project
• My work involved liaising with end-users of the Data warehousing system in Limerick to develop a data modelling system
• Ensuring CMM, Revenue Delivery Methodology standards are met by co-ordinating with all teams involved in the project
• Monitoring and highlighting risks to Revenue Assistant Principle
• Made use of process mapping to document requirements
• Technologies worked with Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, SOLARIS, Microfocus Cobol, Tuxedo, and UNIX scripting SQL, XML, Java, Websphere, INGRES SQL and Filezilla - FTP Tool
Corporate Taxation Migration Project
• Involved the migration of the old corporate taxation system functionality to the new UNIX based integrated tax system.
• Deliveries were fast paced but attention to detail was maintained
• Dealt with users of the integrated tax system to determine functional requirements and testing criteria.
• Functional Testing of Deliveries
• Report changes in scope to stakeholders
Reverse Charges project
• This involved VAT financial adjustments, distribution of letters to inform principle contractors, sub-contractors and agents of a change in Relevant Contract Tax Legislation
• This system was used to project Vat repayable after the changes in legislation.
Senior Business Systems Analyst
Norwich Union International Dublin
February 2006 - March 2008
• Development of investment Bond products, policy maintenance system, Interfaces and General Ledger Systems on the Core Unisure system
• Interacted with end users from within operations, finance, actuarial, marketing and investment team
• Assisted in the Scoping & interpreting Business issues and requirements
• Assist with development of test cases and user acceptance testing
• Performed requirements gathering for Projects, recommended solutions to problems, identified process improvements and identified project work that was needed.
• Developed Process Model and Technical Design for the Change Management Solution.
• Responsible for setting up development standards and coordinating developer forums.
• Technologies worked with Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, UNIX, Microfocus COBOL, Linc 4gl, Oracle 9i, MS SQL SERVER 2005 PL/SQL, XML, VB 6.0, VBA and content management software.
• Scoping of future Projects
• Creation of Systems design documents and scoping of for various projects
• Creation of Project plans and communicating progress to stakeholders
Multi-currency Payments Project
• This project involved major enhancements to support non-sterling payments and the capability of using non-sterling bank accounts in NUIL's UNISURE system. I specified the system design, technical specifications and unit testing.
Annual Management Charge project
• This project involved enhancements to support the processing of policies investing in a range of funds which are priced on differing basis and the inclusion of an Annual Management charge.
• My involvement included:
a) Developing the tech specs, coding and functional testing
b) Liaising with the systems testing team, performed peer reviews, migration of components & supported user testing and post-implementations stages of this project.
Accenture Solutions Dublin
September 2004 - January 2006
Programmer Bank of Ireland
• Worked on the maintenance and development projects for Bank of Ireland's Northern Ireland and UK services.
• The functional areas I worked on where Savings Accounts, Current Accounts, Mortgage Accounts and General Ledger Systems.
• The Alnova project involved the installation of the Alnova Banking Solution for BOI's Northern Ireland and Post office Joint Venture Business's.
• Worked on a support team, which involved providing end users with information relating to queries, bug fixing and software releases.
• Liaised with Operations team heads to make recommendations to problems encountered and to gather requirements for enhancements needed.
• Documented processes for use by project teams and to improve the understanding of systems.
• Worked the development of Alnova's interfaces for financial reporting.
• Made use of Accenture's Delivery Management approach for enhancements and new projects.
• Technologies worked with were Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, Mainframe Cobol, CICS, DB2, JCL, QMF, Endevor, File AID, VBA and Remedy.
Role - Analyst Programmer
First Active PLC
July 2001 - August 2004
• The systems I worked on were Savings Accounts, Current Accounts, Mortgage, Tax Relief at Source and General Ledger Systems.
• Worked in a development and a maintenance role on the Retail Finance System which is an online and batch banking system.
• I worked on documenting the systems in the form of Process, Functional and Technical Documents
• Performed project management, requirements gathering and co-ordinations of a credit grading system used for BASEL II.
• Responsible for providing the business users with key management information.
• Ran and co-ordinated System Testing and Unit Testing tasks, using Scheduling software.
• Involved in First Active's Gap analysis & mapping activities, when they intended moving to the Alnova Banking solution.
• Performed requirements gathering for the Migration project as well as smaller projects.
• Performed analysis for the RBS conversion project as well.
• Technologies worked with were Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, MVS, TSO, COBOL, CICS, VSAM, JCL, EXPEDITOR, EARL, MS PROJECT, MS VISIO, MS Access and Scheduling Software, MS SQL 2000, DTS and ASP.
Role - Consultant
December 1999 - June 2001
• Worked on product and technical document writing tasks on a HP and MTN (Mobile Network Provider) Project.
• The IBS system was an Operations Support Systems (OSS). An OSS is a system Responsible for maintaining network inventory, provisioning services, configuring network components for Telecoms providers.
• Wrote documents for Users, Administrators, and Installers of the IBS (Intelligent Brokerage System) System.
• This Project was developed using Tuxedo for transaction processing, HP Openview, BEA message queues, C++, VB 6.0, Oracle 8.0i, Microsoft Visio 2000 and XML.
• Worked at a company called Pi-Log, developed Java GUI applet using swing components. The project was a demo for their management.
• Worked on P.W.C Commerce Buysite Project for Naspers (Media Company)
• Involved in developing a Fee Capture Tool using SQL 7.0 Database, DTS and ASP.
• The technologies used were Windows, EXCEL VBA, ASP, SQL 7.0, MS VISIO2000, and Microsoft Interdev.
• Re-skilled in ASP, Java, VB, UNIX and WINDOWS at OSR head office.
Role - Programmer & Analyst Programmer
January 1996 - November 1999
• Started as a Junior Programmer, and then progressed to Analyst Programmer at ABSA bank.
• Involved in maintenance and development work on banking systems.
• Worked on their Savings system and Term Deposit systems with a volume of 6 million accounts.
• Co-ordination and implementation of conversion of accounts i.e. Database conversions.
• Performed sizing and estimation of projects.
• Technologies worked with were MVS, TSO, COBOL, IMSDB/DC, CICS, DB2, JCL, EASYTRIEVE, SPUFI, VISUAL BASIC 6.0 and MS Access.
Qualifications & Certifications
Communications & Management Institute
Dublin Institute of Technology
Durban University of Technology
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more