Work experience includes as a geologist, senior geologist and geoscience manager at the equivalent of state-wide operations in geological mapping, mineral resource studies and major state projects in Queensland and Papua new Guinea. I also undertook university lecturing and tutoring of second and third year geology students at the University of Hong Kong in air photo interpretation, geoscience GIS and field techniques.
I have decided to be on skill pages as an effective way to gain further employment and maintain my interest in an industry that I have worked in for more than 40 years.
I have worked in a range of geological investigations and have extensive management and project leadership skills in the following :-
- Assessment of Tenement applications and validating mineral exploration reports including mining lease applications for the Queensland and PNG governments
- Geological mapping, geophysical and remote sensing interpretations for geological investigations, air photo interpretation
- writing and editing geological reports on geological investigations in coal resources, basin analysis, geological mapping, mineral resources, geophysical investigations, hydrogeology, engineering geology, satellite imagery
Executive Manager and Consultant Assessor
• Consultant assessor and trainer MRA, PNG 2013.
• Executive Manager GSD , MRA, Port Moresby 2009-2012,
• Queensland Department of Mines and Energy 1969 -2009, University of Hong Kong 2003
Consultant assessor and trainer
From 2009-2012, I was part of the Senior management team at MRA being Executive Manager for the Geological Survey Division and Chief Government Geologist. During that time I developed strategic plans for the Geological Survey of PNG for 2010-2013, edited and updated geological mapping from GEOMAP (an European Union consultancy producing maps for the highlands area of PNG), and staff contributions from Geological Mapping, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Engineering and Economic Geology. Staff training in geological mapping, structural geology, report writing, remote sensing and GIS. From Geoscience Australia archives I organised scanned copies of notebooks and aerial photography from data not immediately available in PNG and through Department of Defence Australia I obtained detailed radar data for the mainland and islands of PNG. During 2013 I was a consultant technical assessor of proposals for applications and renewals of exploration and mining tenure in PNG and developed guidelines for staff of the regulatory Operations Division of MRA and developed guidelines for staff to process applications and renewals.
Consultant assessor and developer of guidelines
MRA for MAC
for technical assessment of company exploration in PNG for Regulatory Operations Division, MRA for MAC meetings, Trainer for Geological Survey Division staff and editor of Geological Survey Publications for 2013
PNG Operations 2009-2012: - Executive Manager, Geological Survey Division, Mineral Resources Authority, Mining Haus, Poreporana Hwy, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.Managing 10 geoscientist and 23 support staff at the Mineral Resources Authority who are undertaking geological mapping, geotechnical and hydrogeological contracts, mineral occurrence mapping, metallogenic maps, building strategic geosciences databases of exploration geochemistry, geochronology, whole rock geochemistry. Member of Mining Advisory Council - a multiagency body involved in assessing all mineral tenure including pre-feasibility and feasibility studies for proposed mining operations in PNG.
Consultant assessor for mining tenure 2013
Mineral Resources Authority, Regulatory Operations Division
January 2013 - December 2013
Delivery of specialist assessments for applications and renewals of Exploration Licences in PNG.
This included: -
Developing guidelines for local geologist assessors of mining tenure,
editing assessments written by these assessors,
delivering reports on mining company applications for new mining leases in PNG to the Mining Advisory Council (MAC),
and drafting advice to the MAC and to applicant mining companies on steps to deliver positive outcomes for new mining developments in PNG
Executive Manager Geological Survey Division, Mineral Resources Authority
My role also developed terms of reference for three major World Bank Assistance Projects for Mineral Resources Authority which went out to tender.
These projects were: -
1. Development of an online Tenement application and renewal portal
2. Continuation of development of a standardised database for geochemistry and drill hole information from data extraction form company reports
3. Development of a stratigraphic lexicon for geological units in PNG
I also developed budgets and strategic plans for the Geologic Survey Division in conjunction with senior managers from the other 3 divisions of MRA (Regulatory Operations, Corporate Services and Development Coordination Division).
Geological Survey Division, Mineral Resources Authority
former roles of Geoscience Manager, Mineral Geoscience, Geological Survey of Queensland (2003-2009), Manager of Queensland's contribution to National Geochemical Survey of Australia 2008-2009, Regional Geoscience Manager, Southern Region, Queensland, 1999-2002; Team Leader, Project Facilitation (mining tenements and major mining projects for Queensland Government) 2002-2003, Acting Director, Geological Survey of Queensland (December 1999, March-April, 2000; December 2003 and 2004-2009) and Project Management and Leadership Southeast Queensland Project, 1995-1999.
Department of Earth Sciences, The University of Hong Kong
January 2003 - July 2003
Specialist areas: - management and practical experience in studies in mineral and energy tenement assessment coal geology, minerals, energy resource studies, geology, geomorphology, geography, geological field guides, geophysics, remote sensing, and geographic information systems with over 90 research, educational and conference papers and journal articles.
Overseas Experiences (other than current role): - From January to July 2003 I lectured and tutored second and third level students in air photo interpretation, remote sensing and GIS in the position of Assistant Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, The University of Hong Kong. At that time I assisted with Drs. Donoghue and Vohora in developing research projects for the Earth Sciences Department University of Hong Kong from May to July 2003 and undertook a series of supervision of several student field trips around Hong Kong and in Southern China.
Communicating Science to a general audience: Public lectures on geology of Southeast Queensland to audiences at University of Queensland continuing education programs, 2003-2005.
Contributor to AGSO
Geological Survey of Queensland
Managed output from geohazards studies in SE Qld for local authorities. Training in land classification studies for soil scientists and vegetation mappers was undertaken for the Natural Resource Science group in the combined NR&M portfolio. Evidence of land classification and vegetation mapping was given at local government court hearings.
Geological mapping projects - Southern Queensland
From March 1970
Geological mapping - Ipswich/Brisbane 1970-1973, Maryborough 1979-1994 (1:250 000 scale), Ipswich 1978-1981, Brisbane 1981-1982, Clarence Moreton Basin 1988; Gympie 1990-1993, 2002; Murwillumbah, Nambour, 1996; Mount Lindesay, 1996; Yarraman Region, 1996-1998 (1:100 000 scale);mineral occurrences:- Maryborough 1:250 000 1991-1992, Kingaroy, 1997; Boondooma, 1998 (1:100 000 scale); Moreton Bay Islands water resources 1977. stratigraphic drilling:- Ipswich 1972-1974; Gympie, 1973-1975, Maryborough, 1979 - 1982 (1:250 000 maps); Nambour 1977; Brisbane 1978; Ipswich 1978-1979, Rumula, 1990 (1:100 000 scale).
Remote sensing (Landsat TM, airphoto)/ airborne geophysics image generation and interpretation and follow up field mapping
Queensland Department of Mines and Energy
(Senior Geologist 1984-1995), (Project Leader Southeast Queensland 1996-1999), (Geoscience Manager Southern Region 1999-2002),
Project geologist and senior geologist
Geological Survey of Queensland
January 1969 - August 2009
Project geologist included:
• Coal resources, Ipswich Coalfield 1969-1971,
• Field mapping- Gympie 1973-1976 (1:250 000 scale), Caboolture 1974-1976; Lyndbrook 1982&1986; Rumula, 1984-1986, Charters Towers, 1990 (1:100 000 scale). mineral occurrences:- Maryborough (1991-1992, 2006, 2007, 2008) Gympie (1996, 2006) 1:250 000, Yarraman Province (1999-2000), Ayr –Bowen - Proserpine (2007),
• Dam site and drilling geotechnical studies southeast Queensland - 1984, 2004.
Team leader duties included:-
• geological mapping - Ipswich/Brisbane 1970-1973, Maryborough 1979-1994 (1:250 000 scale), Ipswich 1978-1981, Brisbane 1981-1982, Clarence Moreton Basin 1988; Gympie 1990-1993, 2002; Murwillumbah, Nambour, 1996; Mount Lindesay, 1996; Yarraman Region,1996-1998 (1:100 000 scale);
• mineral occurrence and mine investigations and drilling:- Maryborough 1:250 000 1991-1992, Kingaroy, 1997; Boondooma, 1998 (1:100 000 scale); Moreton Bay Islands water resources 1977.
• stratigraphic drilling:- Ipswich 1972-1974; Gympie, 1973-1975, Maryborough, 1979 – 1982 (1:250 000 maps); Nambour 1977; Brisbane 1978; Ipswich 1978-1979, Rumula, 1990 (1:100 000 scale).
Remote sensing (Landsat TM, airphoto) and airborne geophysics image generation and interpretation and follow up field mapping included:-
• Ipswich, 1978; - Charters Towers, 1990; Lyndbrook, 1986; Gympie ,1991-1992; Hann River, Walsh and Red River, 1993; Nanango/Goomeri/Nambour, 1993-1994; Ridgelands/Rockhampton, 1993-1994; Lolworth, 1994; SE
Qualifications & Certifications
University of Queensland
Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Science (qualifying)
University of Queensland
Brisbane Boys College
Masters of Science
James Cook University of North Queensland
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more