Master 5 / Marine Engine Driver Grade 3
The Coochiemudlo Island Ferry Service
From July 2010
for Coochiemudlo Island Ferry Service.
The Coochiemudlo Island Ferry Service is a passenger transport service operating between Victoria Point and Coochiemudlo Island in Moreton Bay, QLD. The service operates approximately 40 return trips daily all year round in all weathers and tides between the hours of 5:00am and 11:30pm on a half hourly basis.
As Master and Ship's Engineer I am responsible for the safe, timely and effective delivery of the Ferry Service. This is achieved through the intimate knowledge of the area of operation, the vessels utilized, the crew on duty, the company and legislative requirements, and the nature/needs of the passengers making use of the Coochiemudlo Island Ferry Service.
In my role as Master and Ship's Engineer I am required to work a rotating shift of 5 consecutive 10 hour morning shifts followed by 3 days off then 5 consecutive 10 hour afternoon/night shifts followed by 3 days off and then back to the morning shifts.
During these shifts my normal duties include:-
• Vessel Operations - manoeuvring, navigation, radio communication, use of electronic aids, safe watch keeping, safe speeds, collision avoidance, mooring and unmooring, berthing and un-berthing.
• Crew Operations - task assignments, duties and responsibilities, emergency response requirements, tender operations, crew to passenger, crew to crew and crew to owner communications.
• Passenger and Cargoes Operations -safe loading and unloading, hazardous goods handling, safety instruction, service and local information, customer service requirements, conflict avoidance and resolution.
• Engineering Operations - Start up and shutdown checks, vessel refuelling, machinery and equipment monitoring, minor vessel repairs and maintenance, machinery servicing, advice to owner/ chief engineer of breakdowns and equipment failures.
• Line Handling Operations - berthing, un-berthing, splicing, knots, towing, and mooring.
Other duties I have performed in the course of my employment...
Deckhand / General Purpose Hand
Coochiemudlo Island Ferry Service
January 2006 - June 2010
Tender operations - Launching, retrieving, refuelling, servicing, berthing, mooring.
• Line handling - berthing, un-berthing, splicing, knots, towing, and mooring.
• Passenger Management - loading, unloading, fares collection, safety, and information.
• Helmsman - vessel manoeuvring, navigation, electronic aids.
• General Purpose - repairs, maintenance, slipping, start up and shutdowns.
Types of Vessels I have worked on
• Power Driven Aluminium Catamarans
Rocket 2 - Length 20metres, Powered by (X2) 3208 Caterpillar V8 Diesel 300 HP engines in V Drive configuration with single Morse controls and Power Assisted Hydraulic Steering
Rocket 3 - Length 20 metres, Powered by (X2) 3208 Caterpillar V8 Diesel 300 HP engines in V Drive configuration with single Morse controls and Hydraulic Steering
Kalamaru - Length 20 metres, Powered by (X2) Caterpillar V8 Diesel 290HP engines with dual hydranautic controls and Hydraulic Steering
• Steel Hulled Landing Barge
Megamia - Length 21.7 metres, powered by (X2) 80 HP Perkins 4 Cylinder Diesel engines with single Morse controls and Hydraulic Steering
• Aluminium Hulled Tenders
Savage - 3.6 metres powered by 9.9 HP 2 Stroke Mariner Outboard Engine
Quintrex - 3.75 metres powered by 15 HP 2 Stroke Mercury Outboard Engine
Sea Jay - 3.85 metres powered by 15 HP 2 Stroke Yamaha Outboard Engine
• Sailing Vessel
Mirimbula - 6 Berth, 37 foot timber and fibreglass yacht with inboard 25 HP Diesel engine with wire rope and chain link steering
Aristocat - 12 berth, 43 foot Belize Fibreglass catamaran with inboard 35 HP Diesel engines with wire rope and chain link steering
• Miltary Vessels
Steel Hulled Landing Barges
Aluminum Hulled Amphibious Vehicles (LARC & DUCK)
Aluminium Hulled Punts and Power Driven Vessels
May 1998 - September 2005
General Home and Property Maintenance utilizing a variety of tools and materials as required for rental and owner occupied properties.
Builder's Labourer / Apprentice Carpenter
July 1995 - May 1998
for Straight Edge Constructions - utilizing a variety of tools, power tools and materials and Self Employed Mobile Hydrobather for Aussie Pooch Mobile Franchise.
Electronics Technician / Technical Officer
NEC Australia Integrated Communications Products
June 1989 - June 1995
Jan 1988 to Jun 1989 - Electronics Technician at 106 Field Workshops
April 1983 - June 1989
, Coopers Plains
• Jan 1986 to Dec 1987 - Electrician / Electronics Technician at Brisbane Water Transport Unit, Bulimba
• Sep 1984 to Dec 1985 - Electrician / Electronics Technician at 1 Base Workshops, Bulimba
• Feb 1984 to Aug 1984 - Electrician at 3 Base Workshops, Broadmeadows
• July 1983 to Jan 1984 - Small Engines Mechanic at 3 Base Workshops, Broadmeadows
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more