Interior Designer, Commercial Projects
I have a bachelor of Interior Design from the University of Manitoba, and 12 years experience with planning, designing and getting projects built in Northern Alberta.
As of 2012 I am the owner and Principal of Blue Graphite Interior Design Inc. - Creating Perfect Spaces to Work and Live In. My specialties include office space, systems furniture, incorporation of audio-visual tech into spaces. I have experience with restaurants, retail, personal services, healthcare , seniors living and educational environments.
Services offered include:
- programming, defining what each client needs
- space planning, developing a working floorplan
- design development, creating the image, finishes, color, concept
- contract documents, drawings and specifications defining the project and refining the details, coordination of engineers as required by project
- tender, submission of contract documents to contractors and evaluation of bids received
- construction administration, act as the Clients representative throughout construction to coordinate with Contractor and ensure a high quality, successful build.
My goal on every project is to make spaces that really WORK for my clients. Everyone assumes you hire a designer to create spaces which look great - but I use all of my listening skills and past experience to design places that work for my clients. What WORKS is unique to each project – it can be branding, culture, personalities, budget, schedule… but it always takes into account how people perform their daily activities.
Principal and Interior Designer
Blue Graphite Interior Design Inc.
June 2012 - June 2012
Blue Graphite Interior Design Inc. was formed in 2012 by Leah Betts to provide interior architectural design services to businesses and major residential renovations in and around the Edmonton area.
We create perfect spaces to Work in – unique for each client.
Blue Graphite focuses on developing highly functional spaces which suit the work, culture and lifestyle of each client. We join the client’s team and lead them through the decision making process, design and construction. Blue Graphite is dedicated to representing our Client’s interests throughout the project – to the landlord, to the leasing agent, to the contractor, to the vendors.
Interscape Interior Design
June 2001 - May 2012
Senior Designer - I progressed from a junior to senior position over my 12 years with Interscape. My experiences include:
- space planning and stacking plans
- concept development and finish selections
- contract documentation including working drawings and specifications
- coordination of sub-consultants including electrical, mechanical and structural engineers, lighting consultants, acoustic engineers, and audio-visual consultants.
- contract administration
- furniture, fixtureing and equipment consultation
- move planning and coordination for large scale office relocation, including systems furniture, laboratory equipment, IT systems and box moves
Qualifications & Certifications
Bachelor of Interior Design
University of Manitoba
Physical Education and Sciences
University of Alberta