Helping people with Information Technology queries, problems and in delivering solutions. Experience of small to large solutions. Management and mentoring teams, and liaising with customers and suppliers.
Managing Partner, Consultant and Coach
From September 2013
Consultant - Full Stack Developer
Sprout Wellness Solutions
From September 2013
• Coaching Services (09/2013 - present):
◦ Coaching of individuals to help them identify what is truly important to them, what goals they wish to accomplish and to support them in stepping past familiar limiting patterns.
Lead Cart Developer
Hosting Nation Data Inc
October 2012 - September 2013
Creation of turn-key PHP shopping cart solution for small to medium scale businesses which reduces time and effort for organisations wishing to provide an online shop for their products. Scoped, designed, delivered and managed all features including multi-currency support, taxation and point of sale payments.
IT Applicants Consultant
January 2005 - August 2012
(01/2005 - 08/2012):
◦ Supported the organization's move from Microsoft to Java development technologies and hosting platforms. Defined and setup a new hosting platform (using IBM WebSphere, Java and Linux) on which over 20 business applications were hosted within 5 years. Created best-practices for working with technologies, assisted in creation of delivery frameworks and mentored staff working on projects.
◦ Proposed trend-breaking usage of open source subscription support web security solutions (OpenAM, rather than enterprise commercial solutions). I advised IT Directors of the saving (approx CDN $1 million over 5 years), proposed and managed a low risk delivery programme (to facilitate greater buy-in and mitigate concerns) and trained and mentored staff to maintain the solution going forwards. This secured all business applications on the new platform.
◦ Track record as 'trouble-shooter' on many projects and live solutions. Frequently sought out by IT Directors for my 'whole system' thinking to resolving issues with distributed applications and to provide an open and honest opinion on possible strategies and solutions.
◦ Managed teams delivering insurance solutions netting increased revenue or savings (circa $1million each over 3-5 years) using Java (JBoss, WebSphere, MQ, Oracle), legacy (Mainframe) and other technologies.
Vodafone Business Innovations
October 2004 - March 2005
(10/2004 - 03/2005)
Proposal of a messaging solution (using Windows .NET technology) for mobile devices that utilised a presence indicator. Designed and delivered prototype solution and successfully demonstrated this to senior management teams within Vodafone.
o As Lead Architect
Sony Business Europe
October 2002 - October 2004
re-designed Media Management web solution (from a proof pf concept solution initially created) to reduce ongoing maintenance costs (circa $300K per year).
o Proposed project processes (based on Rational and Agile techniques) and trained staff.
o Managed and mentored team of six delivering frameworks of the solution (JBoss, Struts, JMX, JMS, LDAP and Linux).
Vodafone Global Services
June 2002 - September 2002
Planned, directed, mentored and reviewed the activities of a team of five in creating web services protocols that would enable third parties to build mobile web applications that included messaging and location based services.
Director, Manager, Consultant and Coach
Yarham Enterprise Solutions
June 2000 - August 2012
Development Lead and Lead Architect, I
June 2000 - May 2002
managed a team designing and delivering a corporate, reusable web services infrastructure (on WebLogic Application Server, Oracle Parallel Server and LDAP) for one of the first UK 3G telecommunications providers.
o Recommended team structuring, processes and architecture patterns. Managed and mentored a team of six architects and subsequently a team of twelve designers, developers and testers.
Senior Consultant, Application Architect, Team Leader
Computer Sciences Corporation
August 1999 - June 2000
• Delivered e-Business solutions, including a Superstore food portal and an airline check-in solution (using J2EE technologies, Weblogic, Oracle, JMS and IBM MQ).
• Defined architecture patterns and development policies for efficient development.
• Provided training to staff (including board level managers) for in-house methodology (Catalyst 4D) and provided feedback to creators of methodology in Chicago.
March 1999 - August 1999
Re-designed (object-oriented) and developed (Java) of e-commerce infrastructure.
Design Authority and Team Leader
Electronic Data Systems Defence
June 1995 - June 1999
• Responsible for the design and delivery of a $1.5 million messaging infrastructure project.
• Managed team of ten developers using X.400, X.500, Visual C++, Active-X, COM, UNIX Scripts and LDAP.
• Helped win another project with the government, by proposing reuse of the solution, saving over $300,000 in development costs alone).
Application Software Engineer
Eurotherm Process Automation (EPA)
September 1991 - June 1995
• Key engineer responsible for delivery of a number of Process Control solutions for customers, including a Leak Detection System following the Piper Alpha oil rig disaster.
• Contributed to quality process improvement and assisted with quality audits.
• Mentored and trained to attain accreditation as a professional engineer, with the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
Qualifications & Certifications
St Phillip Howard High School
University of Sussex Computer