An experienced Engineer with over 10 years involvement in varied Engineering projects, from conception, through to design, contract preparation, site supervision and project management. Computer literate, with broad systems knowledge (OrCAD Autocad, SIMetrix, Proteus ISIS 7 Professional, MATLAB, EAGLE, Microsoft Project, Psim, DigSilent, ETAP, Quickfield, Edison and Sigma plot).
A self-motivated and ambitious professional with extensive experience and knowledge gained within highly professional organisations. A competent communicator at all levels, both with internal and external customers. Flexible and dependable in any situation and able to work accurately with minimal or no supervision, either independently or as part of a cross-functional team.
Control and Instrumentation Engineer
Royal HaskoningDHV, Medupi Power Station Project, Lephalale, Limpopo
From November 2014
• Responsible for designing, developing, installing, managing and/or maintaining equipment which is used to monitor and control engineering systems, machinery and processes;
• Ensure that these systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely designing and developing new control systems; and managing operations;
• testing, maintaining and modifying existing systems;
• analysing data and presenting findings in written reports;
• working collaboratively with design engineers, operation engineers, purchasers and other internal staff;
• liaising with clients, suppliers, contractors and relevant authorities (e.g. the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority);
• project management within cost and time constrained environments;
• troubleshooting and problem-solving;
• understanding and ensuring compliance with the health and safety regulations and quality standards of the country in which work is undertaken;
• providing advice and consultancy support and purchasing equipment
• writing computer software and test procedures;
• developing new business proposals;
• accepting responsibility and a level of accountability that is proportionate to the seniority of the position.
Vaal University of Technology
February 2009 - June 2014
ᴥ Lecturer Electronics
ᴥ Provide input to complex power electronics circuits
ᴥ Working on power conditioning of fuel cells (renewable energy)
ᴥ Provide input to complex power electronics investigations
ᴥ Provide on-job training to students, technicians and trainees
ᴥ Mentor/ coach students for their industrial projects in our department
ᴥ Approve circuit drawings for their projects to be built
ᴥ Programming and testing of VSD's, PLC's. Microchips
ᴥ Commissioning on the following: Solar pannels, UPS's, Battery Chargers, power converters, VSD's and hydrogen generator
ᴥ Perform Factory Acceptance Tests and Site Acceptance Tests on the above mentioned.
ᴥ Perform standby duties on all of the above mentioned.
ᴥ Regular preventative maintenance on different lab equipment (Oscilloscopes, Power supplies,
Spectrum analysers, Radio and microwave engineering equipment, LCR meters, UPS's, Sneider electric Systems etc)
ᴥ Battery load tests for solar pannels
ᴥ Repair of DC Power Suppliers.
ᴥ Advice students on subjects selection
ᴥ Complile Standard Operating Procedures..
Medupi power station
Motor Drives (AC and DC Variable Speed Drives; Motor Control Centres; and Drive Application Systems)
Measurement and Control Systems (SCADA for plant and substation; Control Systems; Instrumentation; Telemetry; and Industrial Networks)
Communication Systems (Telephony; Audio; Radio; Data, Wireless, Broadband and Optical Fibre Communication Networks; and Power Line Systems)
High and Low Voltage Power Distribution Projects (Network and Route Planning; Economic Analysis; Surveys and Investigations; Maintenance Management; Load Flow Studies; Power Quality Services, etc.)
Transmission Lines (complete line design process using line tower spotting software – PLSCAD)
Substations and Switchyard planning and design (11kV to 132kV)
Urban and Rural Reticulation Network design and planning
Power Quality and Services
Energy Saving Systems
Emergency Standby Generation
Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS)
Protection Metering and Control (protection schemes for transmission lines; transformers; electrical machines; and cable networks)
Institutional and Regulatory Advisory Services
Electricity Tariff Studies
Development of a universal bidirectional galvanic isolated switch module for power converter applica
The proposed design is intended to make the practical implementation of power converters much easier which will shorten other research’s time by enabling them to focus on their own objectives and not on peripheral issues. This should lead to more research output in a shorter time for the University and South Africa as a whole
Microwave filters for Class-E amplifiers
This project addressed the problems engineers face when matching microwave components for RF and radio engineering systems
Qualifications & Certifications
Masters in Electrical Engineering
Vaal University of Technology
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more