I have professional training and qualifications as a creative writer for film and digital media, and have been a producer and presenter in radio with ABC. In the last five years working with SA Government I have written a number of corporate projects promoting programs connected with housing, employment, social justice, community wellbeing and legal reform. I have also written web articles and items for national publications, project briefs, internal communications and Ministerial press releases and speeches.
Senior Communications Officer
Attorney General's Department, Strategic Communications Group
February 2013 - September 2013
In my role as a Communications Officer in the Strategic Communications Group, I provided a focus in improving communications effectiveness to increase public awareness of new programs in justice delivery, and of the range of functions and services provided by the Attorney General's Department.
• Wrote strategic communications for media releases, speeches for executives and Ministers
• Wrote articles for partner trade industry publications regarding legal rights and consumer protection
• Liaised with departmental business units and divisions to collate and write the AGD's Annual Report
• Scripted, directed and delivered digital web thumbnails regarding the Disability Justice Plan with the Deputy Premier John Rau for website broadcast and managed media and public responses
• Achieved production and delivery of the AGD's Annual Report ahead of agreed timelines
Senior Project Officer
Department Communities & Social Inclusion
August 2012 - February 2013
In this role with DCSI, I led three projects; two were integral to reshaping and vision of Housing SA business.
A third was for the Senior Officers Group of the Cabinet Taskforce, depicting work across government agencies which reflected one of the seven strategic priorities in 'Safe Communities, Healthy Neighbourhoods'.
View link at: http://www.agd.sa.gov.au/safe_healthy
• Written and verbal liaison with numerous government departments (DPC, DPTI, SAPOL, Health, SAFECOM Defence, AGD, DECD etc.) to secure involvement of strategic communications groups across government
• Liaising with government agencies and non-government bodies to achieve a high level of contribution and collaboration with Premier's and Ministers' offices in communications for DCSI Business Affairs priority tasks
• Writing original concepts to project briefs for approval; planning and orchestrating media activity to realise professional digital product within agreed timeframes, with concurrent priorities and conflicting timelines
• Value-adding by writing, directing, producing, budgeting, casting, supervising postproduction process and orchestrating additional material in digital 2D or 3D graphics, special effects, music etc.
• Interdepartmental cooperation and resource sharing to achieve high-end product within deadlines
• Collaboration with national housing bodies, realising high standard of scripts and marketing materials
• Securing Premier Jay Weatherill to appear in promotion of 2013 National Housing Conference DVD
Senior Project Officer
March 2012 - August 2012
With Renewal SA, I wrote, directed and produced a digital commercial project as lynchpin tool in the public engagement strategy for the affordable housing sector, a corporate DVD to support marketing programs instigated by the Affordable Homes directorate for a number of project sites across South Australia.
View link at: http://www.affordablehomes.sa.gov.au/index.cfm?pagecall=content&ContentID=109735&MenuItemID=104295&subject=About_the_program
• Wrote Ministerial speeches for Commonwealth and State government launches and national conferences
• Wrote industry articles for national housing publications for Bowden & Riverbank project developments
• Mentored project officers in affordable and homelessness divisions in producing digital media in-house
• I wrote above Affordable Housing script to the directorate's brief, cast, directed and produced the DVD.
I also supervised editing, graphics and sourced music for the film while achieving significant cost savings for the directorate's budget. External media industry tenders were sought; all were over $80K. I realised the final product, plus production of shorter 'webisodes' for internet, for below $15K.
Senior Project Officer
Department for Communities & Social Inclusion
September 2011 - March 2012
Responsible for planning Major Projects communications and stakeholder strategy for this large directorate and its six divisions, executing digital media and range of written communications in national housing publications for Housing SA's major urban renewal projects and new-build programs.
• Researched and interviewed key stakeholder personnel and wrote web articles for multiple housing developments including Hawksbury Park, Playford Alive, Woodville West, Lochiel Park and Westwood
• Produced work with development sites Uno City and Ladder, Port Adelaide with residents, many of whom were previously homeless and were undertaking vocational training to enhance their work opportunities
• Researched, wrote and produced visual media product for housing, employment, youth homelessness or disability accommodation projects, including aforementioned specific urban redevelopment programs
• Wrote, directed and produced film in four APY remote communities - Mimili, Ernabella, Fregon and Umuwa - on promotion of Federally funded housing employment and education programs for young Anangu men
• Planned and organised SA Housing Trust 75th Anniversary celebrations, arranged memorabilia and artwork for public display at Adelaide Town Hall, wrote speeches for Ministers present and emceed event
• In this Directorate, reviewed and rewrote the Major Project Delivery Communications and Stakeholder Strategy to guide all divisions in achieving media communications and engagement outcomes
• After a 12 year absence, the Major Projects Directorate reinstated Certificates of Appreciation for staff who 'contributed beyond expectations'. I received the first of these awarded to any DCSI employee
• Synthesised visual and oral history of the SA Housing Trust's rich heritage in public housing from historical sources, with use of archival images and footages from State and government libraries
• Represented Housing SA at Ministerial and public events; hosting...
Senior Project Officer
Department for Families and Communities
September 2010 - September 2011
My first government role required understanding and application of policy, processes and protocols in public engagement with Aboriginal communities in issues in housing, land tenure and health for vulnerable customers.
• Communicating and negotiating with elders and Davenport Council members amid community concerns about changed land leasing arrangements, in programmed provision of housing upgrade and replacement
• Creating leaflets and brochures targeting discrete community groups to communicate complex messages from Federal and State government bodies, distilled and simplified for individual tenants and stakeholders
• Scoped and resolved inconsistencies between community engagement teams' knowledge, regional housing office information and assets and delivery divisions in quantifying housing needs
• Attained productive, respectful relationships with Davenport Community Council and residents
• Established collaboration with agencies, including DPC-AARD, FaHCSIA, DWEER and Port Augusta Council to sit in discussion with RDA and NRM bodies regarding regional development for region
• Developed good relationships with Aboriginal people inside DCSI from whom I gained cultural insights and strengthened my own knowledge, i.e. Indigenous designers, project officers and housing officers
Producer and Presenter
ABC Local Radio
May 2004 - September 2010
An independent media producer who demonstrated capability conceiving and pitching a series (10 x 25 minute episodes) of stories from regional and outback SA, I initially worked in Adelaide with ABC as a producer. Wishing to develop my journalistic skills and host radio, I produced, and later presented, a Mornings program in Port Pirie.
• Made clear editorial decisions about program material and subject matter for public broadcast
• Understood listenership, regional demographics and themes which determined balanced program content for inclusion of relevant stories which all audiences could connect with and have opinions about • Generated and encouraged audience reaction to engage actively in program content
• Built knowledge of public media editorial policies to achieve credibility as a presenter across multiple topics and themes, maintaining balance, honesty and fair treatment of both guests and subject matter
• Established good rapport with Government Ministers and Opposition members across various portfolios and engaged on themes affecting South Australia in urban, regional and remote settings
• Maintained and nurtured respectful relationships with government and industry leaders, members of various agencies and peak SA Government, local government, education, health and business bodies
• Asked to facilitate or host regional events across education, health, arts and culture and economic development boards as a speaker and function host, including NRM and RDA special forums
• Live broadcasts to assist public safety during emergencies such as Port Lincoln and KI bushfires
• Brought regional stories to national attention e.g. in coverage of food and health crises in APY Lands
Teacher and Vocational Facilitator
DECD - READII
February 2001 - May 2004
After relief teaching in Adelaide's north western suburbs, I held a position at St Ignatius College Athelstone teaching media and social sciences. I was invited to join a program, the Regional Eastern Adelaide Industry Initiative (READII) to place high-performing students in media and multimedia work experience opportunities.
The work experience program was later broadened to include non-government schools beyond the initial eastern suburb zone and extended to tertiary institutions. Prior to this I worked in the vocational sector with government organisation Skilshare, teaching the fundamentals of hospitality and bar and food service to young and long-term unemployed client groups in regional areas of the state.
• Selecting individual students and matching them to appropriate workplaces and designing their work experiences with desired expectations of both learner and employer, handling negotiation of outcomes
• Designing and writing promotional material to engage potential participants and partner institutions (including schools, colleges and professional media industry groups)
• Liaising with media and multimedia companies to overcome reluctance to take on short-term placements
• Formulating assessment of student work standards for accreditation and mentoring students
• Achieved majority of agreed student placements within given timeframes in the program period, several of whom were offered ongoing work at the conclusion of their studies
• Successfully presented alternative work options for students, outside their initial choices, realising fruitful learning experiences which led to a broadening of their eventual media career options
Qualifications & Certifications
Media and Communications
SUCNY Buffalo State College
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more