Human Resources Director
Generalist HR skills, including specialist skills to establish employee wellness programmes and organisational restructuring. Have participated in Boards as Chair (Provident Fund at VUT and Bestmed) and member (Bestmed Medical Scheme, Audit Committee of the University of Pretoria Retirement Fund and PROTEC). Have been a mentor to HR Consultants
University of the Witwatersrand as a member
Board for the Center of Deaf Studies
University of Cape Town's
for a Masters thesis
UNIVERSITY OF THE WITWATERSRAND
From September 2011
Human Resources responsible for the strategic leadership of the human resources, employee relations, compensation and benefits, human resources information system, training and development, and transformation and equity functions, both at the Central and Faculty levels of the University. By virtue of my portfolio, I serve on the University Senate and am a member of the Remunerations Committees of both the Wits Health Consortium and Wits Commercial Enterprise. I am required to make presentations to the Human Resources and Remunerations Committees of the University Council, as well as to Council on human resources matters. I am chairing an ad hoc committee to review the Medical Aid Scheme of the University, serve on Boards of Trustees for medical aid and retirement funds of the University and fulfil the role of the Chief negotiator in salary negotiation processes. I am also a member of the Higher Education Sector Directors' Forum and have been appointed by the Institute for Personnel Management as its Ambassador in the Sector, including further education and training institutions. I am also serving on the HESA Steering Committee on Academic Salary study, as well as on the Global Academic Executive Forum (HR Directors in leading universities).
• Reviewed some human resources policies to achieve equity
• Established a collaborative forum for central and faculty human resources practitioners
• Facilitated workshops on performance management processes at the University
mentor to a Master
Vaal University of Technology
s student under the auspices of the Vaal University of Technology's Hubs and Spokes model
Chairperson of the Employment Equity Forum
Human Resources Strategy
• Transformed the focus of the human resources function from administrative to strategic by developing strategies and programmes including, but not limited to: Human Resources Strategy; Employment Equity and Diversity Policy; Employee Wellness Strategy and programmes; Establishment of an Employment Equity Forum; HR policy reviews and development.
• Rationalised the university's accumulative leave in order to reduce the liability for the employer.
• Revised the union recognition agreements to align with the labour relations dispensation in the country.
• In this portfolio I was appointed as Chairperson of the Employment Equity Forum (until 2008); Chairperson of the Vaal University of Technology Provident Fund underwritten by Old Mutual; founding Chairperson of the Multi-union Forum; nominated to the Bestmed (National Medical Aid Scheme) Board as an employer representative; Nominated to the PROTEC Board.
Board of PROTEC
Appointed to the Board of PROTEC.
Member of HE-AIDS Committee, Remunerations Team
HR Directors Forum
under the auspices of the HR Directors Forum in Higher Education.
Chair the Pension Fund
Board of Trustees of Bestmed
and as a member of the HR and Transformation Committee of Bestmed.
Deputy Executive Director
UNIVERSITY OF THE WITWATERSRAND
November 2005 - November 2005
Human Resources responsible for the Employment Equity function of the university. I was headhunted back to the Vaal University of Technology.
Nominated as an HR Mentor
Sithole Human Capital
2004: Provided advice to MOLTENO regarding the revision of their Performance Management and Development System
for PROTEC facilitating the development of a Performance and Development Management System, revision of human resources policies, and labour relations advice
VAAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
May 2002 - October 2005
Human Resources responsible for the strategic leadership of human resources function, including policy and strategy formulation for the University. I was providing secretarial services to the Human Resources Sub-Committee of Council of the Vaal University of Technology.
People as an Internal Advisor
Human Resources Development
July 2001 - April 2002
responsible for the establishment of the new Directorate in the Department. The Directorate was responsible for the development of an integrated human resource development strategy, including programmes for Quality of Worklife, Training, Career Development and Performance Management and related policies. I was nominated and received training on Investors in People as an Internal Advisor.
• Approval of the Quality of Worklife Strategy and programmes; Human Resources Development Strategies and related policies;
• Launched the first Employee of the Year Awards;
• Revised Performance Management System;
• Piloted Investors in People standards in the Department; and • Introduction computer-aided ABET programme.
AIDS Support Group
in the Akasia Lutheran Church
Human Resources Management
September 1999 - June 2001
responsible for strategic human resources management functions in the Department. This was during the transition period from old personnel administration systems (PAS) to new human resources practices. I was responsible for the initial re-engineering project of the department and aligning of HR systems with the Public Service Regulations. I was called upon to act in the portfolio of Chief Director from time to time.
• A revised HR strategy and structure; Integration of the former TBVC employees into the department; Implementation of the Public Service Regulations and related programmes; the Establishment of the Bargaining Chamber for the Department; and the management of an outsourced project regarding the transformation of the department in accordance with proclaimed human resources standards in government; Appointed to the Financial Control Committee and Departmental Procurement Board as a member; Represented the Department in the Diplomacy, Intelligence, Defence, Trade Education and Training Authority (DIDTETA).
1999 - 2002: Served as a Chair in various committees in the Department.
Served as a Board member for Diplomacy, Intelligence, Defence, Trade Education and Training Authority (DIDTETA).
Represented the DTI on Project 4 (Standard for People Development) Steering Committee of the Department of Labour
Member of the Congregational Council and a Ward Leader of the Akasia Lutheran Church
I am also serving as a lay preacher.
Part-time Training Consultant
for Action Performance.
Manager: Human Resources
COUNCIL FOR GEOSCIENCE
July 1997 - August 1999
Manager: Human Resources, responsible for the establishment of a strategic human resources management service to support the objectives of the Council. I also served on the Board of the Council as an invited member on human resources issues.
• Re-engineering of the HR function; Launching of an Employee Assistance Programme;
• Introduced a Computer-based ABET programme;
• Introduced a new performance management system for the Council;
• Implemented a Peromnes Job Evaluation System for the Council; and • Implemented an Employment Equity Programme.
July 1997 - August 1999
of the Science Councils Human Resources Executive Forum that is responsible for the transformation of the Science Councils
OFFICE OF THE AUDITOR-GENERAL
January 1997 - June 1997
Manager: Human Resources responsible for Performance Management and Compensation Management at the Office. I also offered an HR generalist service to three components and two provincial offices with a total staff compliment of 274.
• Although it has since been revised, I led a project to develop a Performance Management System for the Office; and • Participated in the rationalisation of the Gauteng Office (Benoni) with staffing implications, but no job losses.
Akasia Lutheran Church
Chairman of the job evaluation committee
Council for Geoscience
November 1997 - August 1999
Balrea Flats Board of Trustees
June 1997 - November 1998
North West Chamber of Business in a Standing Committee
1996 Appointed to North West Chamber of Business in a Standing Committee on Labour and Technical Education
Human Resources Consultant for the Bank
North West Province Office
July 1995 - December 1996
responsible for delivering a generalist HR service to 17 branches with a total staff compliment of 482. The functions were performed during the transition from the old Volkskas, Allied, Trust and United Banks to a new dispensation now called Amalgamated Banks of South Africa (ABSA). During this era I was also involved in change management interventions and trauma counselling programmes.
• Rolled-out a change management programme in the Province.
• Introduced a Staff Development Programme.
• I also served in the Bank's Reconstruction and Development Programme Committee and Fundraising Initiatives for the destitute.
• Represented the Bank in the Provincial Entrepreneurship project.
University of the North West
July 1995 - December 1996
for post- and undergraduate Industrial Psychology students.
Faculty of Administration and Management and the Student Counselling Centre
Lutheran Church Choir
Served as a representative of the Alumni Association on the Governance and Transformation Committee, UNIBO
Executive Member of the Alumni Association, UNIBO (North - West).
School Governing Body, CN Lekalake Middle School
Up to December 1996
Lecturer for under- and post-graduate Industrial Psychology classes
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH WEST
March 1992 - June 1995
I lectured the following subjects at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels: Introduction to Industrial Psychology; Organisational Development and Design; Labour Relations; Psychometrics and Research Methodology; Ergonomics; Consumer Psychology; Human Resources Management
• Facilitated the revision of the departmental programme by undertaking studies on "Industry expectations of Industrial Psychology students" and "Students experiences of Industrial Psychology as a Course".
• I also participated in the EOC programme on economic awareness for Non Governmental Organisations and Local Government Administrations in the North-West, in which I presented a module on "Conflict Resolution".
Moved up the ranks from Selection Officer
BOPHUTHATSWANA TRANSPORT HOLDINGS
January 1989 - February 1992
to Senior Selection Officer at Bophuthatswana Transport Holdings or North-West Star (now being unbundled) responsible for psychometric evaluation of candidates for appointments, promotion and development in the company. This was done under the supervision of a practicing Industrial Psychologist (Mr JM Nieuwoudt). I was also supervising the work of four staff members in the unit.
• Revised the norms for appointment of personnel in the company;
• Achieved professional registration as Psychometrist with the South African Medical and Dental Council (now the Health Professions Council of South Africa);
• Received a bursary to study towards a Masters degree in Industrial and Organisational Psychology.
Moved up the ranks from Industrial Relations Officer
DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR
February 1987 - December 1988
to Regional Industrial Relations Officer at the Department of Labour (Mmabatho) handling labour relations issues in the region. Co-ordinated the activities of the three regional offices with a staff compliment of 12 and reported to the Director of Labour.
• Facilitated a Commission of Inquiry on alleged discriminatory employment practices at Lehurutshe Transport; and • Assisted in the formulation of basic conditions of service in selected industries of Bophuthatswana.
Regional Industrial Relations Officer, Lecturer
December 1983 - January 1987
Employed on a vacation basis in various Government Departments. I was mainly involved in personnel administration and assisted with the introduction and monitoring of productivity improvement technique (KT2) in the public service
PART-TIME AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENTS
Criteria for workplace-effective mobility for employees with disabilities in South Africa
A research project for PhD qualification
Qualifications & Certifications
University of Pretoria
Industrial and Organisational Psychology
University of Cape Town
UNIBO (now University of the North West) focusing on Industrial Psychology
Industrial Psychology, Public Administration and Political Studies
UNIBO (now University of the North West)
Motswedi High School
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more