Food Microbiologist , Experienced working for 4 MNC's including UNILEVER,PRIMA,FONTERRA,NESTLES
Quality Assurance Manager
From June 2013
Duties & Responsibilities
- Microbiological & Chemical hazard monitoring through Design HACCP.
- Developing Quality Assurance procedures and handling regulatory issues for spices.
- Designing and implemented Hygiene management processes and procedures.
- Developing QMS, handle Quality certification and Internal Auditing.
Factory Quality Assurance Manager
EDINBOROUGH PRODUCTS PVT
May 2012 - May 2013
(LTD) - SRI LANKA
Manufacturer of Various types of Sauces, Jams, RTS, Bottled water & PET bottles
Factory Quality Assurance Manager, 2012 May to 2013 May
Steered and directed Food Manufacturing operations that generated Rs. 2B in annual
revenue. Established operational policies and implemented process improvements to ensure
superior quality and optimal output. Directly supervised five Managers of Supply chain,
production, Quality assurance and maintenance departments; overlooked 200+ employees.
Designed and implemented coaching and training programs to develop staff, facilitate
efficiency, and improve performance. Actively interfaced with vendors and senior
management for order expediting, capacity planning and material forecasting. Ensured strict
adherence to quality control procedures. Reported to Chairman.
• New Powder packing plant setup and product launched within 3 months. Increased
capacity from 1.5 ton/m to 3 shortly thereafter.
• Played integral role indentifying and transitioning work to increase Bottled water
production from 5000L/day to 15000L/day.
• Innovative Introduction of two new products namely 'Diet sauce' and 'Chocolate
Quality Initiatives and Results:
• Controlled all company factory assets, facilities & equipment. Purchased new equipment and overlooked facility renovation projects, implemented HR systems including
developing/conducting training programs, managed all financial areas, & directed Quality
Assurance, Purchasing, Storage & Manufacturing departments.
• Improved production procedures to minimize costs and productivity.
• Delegated coordination tasks for different jobs, to operational level workforce to determine individual accountability.
• Monitored and followed up improvements and maintenance of the production
equipment for optimum performance.
• Managed the factory budget in coordination with the Managing Director.
• Ensured effective implementation of HACCP & ISO 22000, ISO 9001...
Quality Assurance Manager-Extended Supply Chain
UNILEVER SRILANKA LIMITED
January 2012 - May 2012
2012 January to 2012 May
Planning, managing, executing and reviewing total quality management function of extended
supply chain, which included 3P foods & HP contract manufactures, raw material suppliers,
distributors & logistic service providers. Reported to Corporate QA manager.
• Maintained constant communication with sales personal to identify customer quality
requirements and ensure highest level of satisfaction.
• Interfaced with senior management to develop short/long term organizational
Quality Initiatives and Results:
• Implemented HACCP in Unilever 3rd Party Food Co- Packer manufacturing sites.
• Implemented effective 3P Quality Management Systems.
• Carry out 3P audits according to the Unilever Global Quality Requirement Protocols.
• Introduced an effective supply management system by implementing Supplier audits,
follow up audits, risk evaluation, review meetings, supplier vendor evaluation and training for Unilever Packing and Raw material suppliers.
• Implemented quality strategy in Logistical operation and cold chain management
system as QA Business partner for 3P Logistic Service Providers.
• Trained on TPM, manufacturing hygiene, Root Cause analysis, HACCP & ISO
auditing, Quality in Customer service, Trade return management and Dummy recalls.
Reduce the quality non conformances in the extended supply chain.
• Implemented Quality in Channels and MT customers, food solution Business Partners and service providers, General trade Business Partners.
Microbiologist & Factory Hygienist
Unilever Sri Lanka
June 2009 - January 2012
Responsible for the microbiological & hygiene safety & standards of products manufactured and marketed by Unilever Sri Lanka, Agarapathana instant tea factory & all 3P & 2P
manufacturing sites. Also exclusively responsible for managing the quality assurance of all
microbiological operations related to the hygiene & sanitation of environment, plant, product,
process & people.
• Played integral role directly responsible in achieving the total Unilever Food
business to 5B in 2010.
• Contributed in company annual growth by involving in timely QA releases to achieve 3.1B target for the month of March 2011.
• Designed the QA and Laboratory layout facilities at the newly built Factory at
Horana and effected smooth transfer of equipment & people during the transition period.
Quality Initiatives and Results:
• Planned and implemented Hygiene management processes, procedure and guidelines in conformance with Unilever hygiene management principles.
• Ensured factory met all microbiology requirements stated by the customer.
• Responsible for microbiology laboratory including maintenance of the lab equipment,
test materials and systems to required standard.
• Ensured that all analysis were carried out according to validated methods and with
Standard reagents as per Unilever guidelines and accepted sampling plans.
• Ensured that Factory Personnel & Product Hygiene and Food Safety Regulations are
enforced and improved. Periodically audit the Quality & Food Safety System
• For Development purposes conducted Workshops to interact with Consumer & Customers to follow-up there requirements. Monitor process HACCP and design new
• Influenced, audited, monitored and supported suppliers to minimize microbiology risk of manufacturing processes, products and materials and suppliers.
PRIMA GROUP SRI LANKA
August 2008 - May 2009
Manufacturer of Various types of Confectionary/ Bakery/ Poultry/Value Added
Senior Microbiologist, August 2008 -May 2009.
Responsible for ensuring the elimination/occurrence of any Microbiological Hazards to the five Processing plants namely the Poultry Processing, Processed Meat Manufacturing, Noodle
Manufacturing, Bakery & Confectionary Plants. Reported to Senior QA manager.
Faculty of Science
UNIVERSITY OF KELANIYA- Department of Microbiology
May 2007 - August 2008
Reported to Department Head.
Performed demonstrations of laboratory work involved in the first three years of undergraduate study & assisted research work under the supervision of senior staff.
Head of Quality Assuarance & R&D
Bio Extracts (pvt) Limited- Expo Group
Up to January 2014
Qualifications & Certifications
UNIVERSITY OF SRI JAYAWARDANEPURA
Microbiology & Chemistry General
UNIVERSITY OF KELANIYA
University of Kelaniya Computer Society
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more