Over 25 years of property and casualty claim experience with workers compensation insurance claim knowledge.
Have been retained by some of the largest property and casualty insurance companies in the country to testify on their behalf regarding standard insurance industry claim practices and compliance with applicable insurance claim regulations/statutes.
Invited as a guest speaker by insurance industry training conferences to discuss claim handling topics.
Regional Vice President of Claims
Access General Insurance Company
Oversaw 11 State Claim Operation for material damage and bodily injury claims with 100 claim professionals. Prepared and executed quarterly initiatives to drive expected claim results. Provided technical claim guidance and administrative mentoring to claim directors. Directed re-organizational strategies that included partnering with other groups in the organization such as, Regulatory Compliance, Product Development, Marketing, Sales and Underwriting.
Created the California Claim Office that included hiring adjusters and leaders. Drafted and published all job descriptions. Oversaw 11-state claim operation for material damage and bodily injury with 100 claim professionals and quarterly average indemnity payout of $28,000,000. Initiated strategy to attract talented staff, including 150 hired employees. Sponsored career development programs for adjusters and leaders.
* Directed organizational restructure strategies that resulted in productivity increase from 3.1 claims per day per adjuster to 5.6 per day per adjuster for material damage and 1.0 to 1.9 per day per adjuster for bodily injury.
* Introduced work flows and processes that achieved average pay reduction from $1,933 to $1,735 for material damage.
Senior Vice President and Claims Operations Officer, Owner and Equity Partner
Equity Claim Management Inc
Created and managed claims operation for start-up business. Grew staff to 25 employees with gross revenues of $5,000,000. Launched brand development and industry recognition strategy. Prepared job bids for perspective new clients and negotiated new client contracts. Acted as expert liaison for clients during claims and special investigation unit market conduct examinations.
* Reduced client's claim cycle time that resulted in an 11% loss severity improvement.
* Improved client's subrogation and salvage recovery by a combined 19%.
Assistant Vice President of California Claims
Galway Insurance Company, Subsidiary of CNA
Initially responsible for creating the special investigation and litigation units. Facilitated the design of the teams within the units, along with developing supporting workflows and processes. Recruited seasoned adjusters and leaders for these units.
Reorganizing entire California claims operation, including 100 employees. Reviewed and approved yearly budget of $7,000,000. Rolled out guidelines for material damage, bodily injury, uninsured motorist and medical payment claims. Provided settlement approval for claims in excess of manager's authority. Provided mentoring to claim managers. Interacted with marketing, product development and underwriting.
Litigation/SIU Claims Manager
Galway Insurance Company
Held responsibility for reorganizing entire California claims operation, including 100 employees. Reviewed and approved yearly budget of $7,000,000. Rolled out guidelines for material damage, bodily injury, uninsured motorist, medical payments and litigation management, as well as built special investigative unit. Authored California insurance policy contract.
* Reduced Litigation Cycle Time by an average of 3 months per claim, which decreased expense payment severity by $215,000.00 per quarter.
* Special Investigation Unit achieved an average annual loss prevention of $750,000.00.
Trial Specialist, Litigation Manager and SIU Claims Manager
Auto Club of Southern California
Litigation Adjuster and Claims Supervisor, 1982-1990. Directed high performing claim teams. Prepared and administered performance evaluations. Designated as Person Most Knowledgeable (PMK) for claims-handling matters. Served as company liaison to California Department of Insurance for claims market conduct examinations. Implemented performance goal-setting and quality of work life models.
Guest Speaker Appearances
Invited as a guest speaker for various personal and commercial insurance claims industry training conferences, including:
* New Mexico Defense Attorney Association.
* Northern and Southern California Fraud Investigators Association.
* Northern and Southern California Claims Conference.
* International Association of Special Investigative Units.
* Retained on 25 occasions as insurance bad-faith expert by some of the largest insurance companies in the country.
* Authored opinions for state and federal court in California and for district court in New Mexico.
* Testified in both California state court and in New Mexico district court.
* Qualified in court to testify on industry standards, insurance codes, insurance statutes, insurance regulations, reservation of rights letters, insurance policy contracts, litigation practices and managing defense attorneys.
Education & Professional Insurance Designations
Qualifications & Certifications
Bachelor of Business Administration
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more