Financial And Administration Manager
I have worked as a financial manager or accountant for more than 15 years. I am currently studying towards the completion of the ACCA (Association of Certified and Chartered Accountants) in one year plus completion of a Masters in Business Administration Qualification as soon as possible so that I can prove my managerial skills by undertaking more challenging jobs in the areas of financial management, financial reporting, grant and contracts management, taxation, auditing, human resources and administration.
I also see myself working in any local or international, but dynamic organizations or multi-national organizations both for profit and non-profit organizations including donor agencies and other developmental and research orientated organizations.
Association for Water and Rural Development
From March 2013
(AWARD) under the supervision of the Executive Director. AWARD is a South African NGO. Please see below my current tasks:
• Working on a large USAID Project worth more than $10 million by providing logistical and administrative support.
• Supervision of the administrative support team.
• Setting up of new policies and procedures for administration, financial policies and internal controls, human resources policies and procedures, grants and contracts procedures plus other operational procedures in compliance with USAID rules and regulations, other donor requirements, South African Accounting Standards, International financial Reporting Standards and Generally Acceptable Accounting Practices.
• Setting of specific procedures for the management of sub awards and sub contracts as well as the provision of capacity building for the same.
• Setting up of consultancy policies and procedures and the introduction of best practices for the management of consultants that are engaged by the organization.
• Providing capacity building for the internal staff on generally acceptable accounting systems, international reporting standard matters and donor requirement.
• Setting up the new offices
• Involvement in the management decision making process and participated a huge team leaders meeting to support various teams and sub contracts, sub awards, sub grants and • Introduction of several new systems on the managing of the petty cash, travel authorization system, vehicle booking system, the changes on the fixed asset policies and fixed asset disposal systems, etc
Finance & Administrative Manager
May 2008 - February 2013
, Johannesburg, South Africa: under the supervision of the Country Director
• Participated actively in the registration and set up of a new local entity in South Africa.
• Participated in the recruitment process of the new managing director for Population Council South Africa Non Profit Company.
• Acted as "Director of Finance, Human resources and Administration" for Population Council South Africa Non Profit Company for 8 months.
• Subsequent set up of the new accounting procedures and policies, HR systems, new policies and procedures for local travel, human resources, procurement, creditors, and chart of accounts.
• Pension fund management with the provident fund brokers and financial advisors.
• Tax application and preparation of the new organogram for the new local organization.
• Maintained financial records for each project in a manner that facilitates management reports accounting principles (GAAP), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs), USAID financial rules and regulations as well as financial requirements for other donors.
• Worked on the accounting, operations and human resources policies and procedures for the local entity and international entities.
• Provided leadership and strategic direction for a team of 6 employees in finance, human resources and administration ;
• Financial management of 12 projects under USAID/PEPFAR funding worth approximately $7million in three years. One of the project was an IQC contract worth approximately $3million;
• Prepared cost proposal for a PATH project worth $3million, Ford Project worth $200,000, and several budget extensions on USAID projects worth more $4.5million over two years for the Post Exposure Prophylaxis Project and a further proposal worth $ 6.6million.
• Prepared all audit schedules and trial balances for a seven years audit worth approximately R70 million for the Population Council branch office.
• Key contact person for external auditors, review of financial reports to donors for all...
Finance & HR Officer
March 2008 - April 2008
, Johannesburg, South Africa
• Reconciliations of staff travel advances worth about $25,000 per month;
• Cheque requisitions and preparation, Creditors Reconciliations/ Cash Book Recons/ Petty Cash Recons, etc;
• Preparation of expense reports ( approximately a $300,000 each) for the office on a monthly basis;
• Payroll management of about 16 employees;
• Assisting the office with all local recruitment needs;
• Conducting orientations for new members of staff;
• Preparation of staffing reports to headquarters;
• Providing capacity building on USAID/CDC financial rules and regulations as well as implementing procedures that are in line with the administrative requirements of the grants and contracts;
• Financial management and control i.e. involved in the preparation of annual planned program budgets and regular forecast budget updates;
• Preparation of all costs proposals to the donors ( worked on the 10 projects under the USAID cooperative agreement);
• Management in general;
• Assist the office with the implementation of all policies and procedures;
Reasons for change in position: Promoted to Finance & Administrative Manager
December 2007 - March 2008
, Johannesburg, South Africa
• Reconciliations of staff advances worth $40,000
• Cheque requisition and preparation on a monthly basis;
• Creditors Reconciliations/ Cash Book Recons/ Petty Cash Recons, etc;
• Preparation of expense reports for the office worth $100,000 per month;
• Human resource administration for a staff compliment worth 10 employees
Reason for change in position: was offered a full time position within the organization
Up to December 2007
Office) - A member of Royal Sechaba Food Services, Johannesburg and Centurion, South Africa
• Making collections on behalf of the company at SABC worth R1.8 million.
• Reporting on the progress of the collections to the Supervisors (Finance manager, Chief Operations Officer, Group Finance Manager; Strategic Investments Director).
• Debtor's reconciliations, remittances and statements to clients.
• Invoicing and matching the invoices to the orders and remittance payments.
• Sending invoices to the customers with proof of deliveries.
• Attending to customer queries & problem solving;
Reason for leaving: Career advancement
Mazembe Construction (Pty) Limited
January 2006 - November 2006
• Preparation of books in readiness for submission to SARS ( South African Revenue Service) worth more than R300,000 per month;
• Setting up an accounting system to ensure that financial resources are effectively used to achieve the company's objectives ( created the first chart of accounts for this organization);
• Bank reconciliations , debtors and creditors systems;
• Maintaining the books of accounts by ensuring that proper records are kept;
• Preparing VAT returns, corporate tax returns, tax exemption applications, tax certificate, etc.;
• Preparation of all audit schedules in preparation for the annual audits;
• Preparation of financial statements for statutory audits and financial performance for the company for three years;
• Prepared Cash flow budgets and supported the organization with a cost proposal to obtain over a R300 million loan for a water reticulation project in Lesotho
Reason for leaving: Consulting Job (worked on a part time basis)
Worked at Equal Access Global (From 1st October 2004 to 31st December 2005) Branch Manager, Lusaka, Zambia
• In charge of running the branch office and reporting directly to the general manager in charge of all the branch offices within the country ;
• Worked hand in hand with Celtel with the recruitment of call center agents (120 employees), conducted induction for call center Celtel employees that were employed through Equal access;
• Provided fringe benefit analysis for employees at Celtel call center and participated in disciplinary matters for employees as a manager.
• Payroll preparation supervision and liaising with the banks to ensure that the employees are paid on time;
• Preparation of contracts for agent and orientation for new employees and new agents;
• Preparation of policies and procedures for employees and agents;
• Financial planning for the office on an annual basis;
• Recruiting employees with and for the clients ;
• Budgetary control & set-up for the branch office budgets...
Head of Accounting and Administration
Cosmic Computer Supplies Limited
May 2004 - September 2004
Ensuring that accounts are prepared up to final accounts using pastel version 6 (Trial Balance/Balance Sheet & Profit & Loss Accounts);
• Supervising the accounts section employees to ensure that reports and payments are done in due time;
• Supervising the preparation of the payroll;
• Liaising with the auditors and tax inspectors to ensure that they receive the necessary information;
• Prepared all audit schedules and financial statements;
• Handled all tax matters (VAT/PAYE/Corporation Tax/Withholding Tax/Provisional Tax) for the company (including tax audits);
• Created the stock control system for the new branch.
Reason for leaving: Educational & Career advancement
Shechem Investments Limited
June 2002 - May 2004
• Prepared accounts up to the Final Accounts i.e. trial balance, balance sheet, profit and loss account and cash flow statements;
• Handled all VAT, PAYE, Corporation Tax and all other statutory obligations.
• Attended to all external audit matters as well as preparation of all schedules and the working papers files for the auditors;
• Prepared the Payroll for the Companies (20 employees);
• Setting up the Accounting System for the Company plus two associate companies. These were the first accounting systems that I created.
Reason for leaving: Career advancement
Computer Operator Supervisor- Accounting Department
September 1999 - May 2002
• Handling the Working papers file for the External Auditors during audits;
• Posting various journal vouchers to the General Ledger;
• Handling the Petty Cash book, Cashbook Payments & Receipts;
• Preparation of all account schedules and reconciliations for the audit preparations;
• Assisting the Chief accountant in reconciling all revenue, expenditure, liabilities and asset accounts for the Balance Sheet and the Trial Balance preparations ( prepared draft financial statements except for the statement of cash flows and tax computations);
• Took part in the Creation of the Chart of Accounts in Pastel Accounting Systemversion 5.2i and was trained (in-house) via I.T. Solutions;
• Payroll processing for more than 75 employees;
• Stock control system postings, stock take, stock reports and all other transactions pertaining to stock in the warehouse and store rooms;
• Debtors Control system including all reconciliations and preparation of the monthly sales journals and debtors ageing analysis;
Reason for leaving: Career & educational advancement
January 1996 - August 1996
Bank clearing house key contact for Stanbic Bank in Kitwe branch, bank reconciliations, Inter- bank transactions and inter-branch cheque management, petty cash reconciliations, In-house audit assistance, foreign exchange teller and loan management and customer services.
Reason for leaving: 8 months fixed term contract whilst waiting to get into college.
Qualifications & Certifications
Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants
Mukuba Secondary School
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more