Claim you profile
- Full time
- Part time
- One time
October 2010 - March 2013
, Kampala, Uganda.
• Responsible for developing project based programs emphasising OOP techniques
• Design and development of aministration software for the day to day running of the university, including the computerisation of student records.
• Freelanace consultancy and programming work including web development and database-centred applications.
• Achieved an improvement in the general standard of software appreciation amongst the students.
Languages: Delphi 7.
Digi Europe Ltd
• Development and adapting software for PC./Windows -based weigh-labelling machines according of customer requirements.
• Development of assembler programs for micro-processor interfaces as required.
• I also developed and expanded a classic ASP based intra-web application for controlling multiple weigh-labellers from a central location.
• Development a number of visual and non-visual components for touch screen use and other aspects of the application.
• Improved cleanness of code in the base application and simplified future development through use of efficient and effective specialised UI components.
Language: Delphi 6-2007, Classic ASP, various assemblers
Partner/Owner Sempre Software Ltd. Nairobi, Kenya
Founded Sempre in partnership with a Kenyan national. As Sempre I developed a number of projects primarily for the Kenyan market including:
• ICAM - a combined stock control/SOP/management reporting suite for medium sized manufacturers.
• TelLog - a configurable PABX monitoring and call costing/charging program for businesses and hotels. Many copies sold!
• For Unilever Nairobi we developed a suite of programs running on a large network (>100 clients) and a MSSQL server, Modules included:
• Cerberus - Access control.
• TimeStar - Time and attendance tracking system.
• ShiftManager - a shift work planning and monitoring application
• HR - A human resource management application.
• Developed applications for controlling industrial ink jet printers for use in promotional packaging and a program to select winning numbers and display the number on national Kenyan TV.
All these were developed in various versions of Delphi with Transact SQL. Some modules were sold to other clients using other DBMs inclusing Firebird/Interbase.
This role gave me excellent exposure to the business side of software, as well as the opportunity to develop applications for large businesses.
• MEK Ltd (MUMPS stock control, writing in MUMPS),
• GEC (Software for underground trains for Seoul. Korea. Written in classic C)
• Nottingham Medical Trust (medical records system - MUMPS).
for the NHS running on a variety of platforms including the Sharp 1300 and Psion hand helds, ICL 80286 based mini-computers and IBM PCs and proprietary Z80 based controller cards.
I was also responsible for developing software for a proprietary 'bare board' Z80 based controller card.
Languages: Sharp 1360 assembler, z80 assembler, 80x86 assembler, C, C++, Pascal and Informix.
and conversion of computer games for Atari, Amiga and Amstrad home computers. Languages used: Motorola 68000 assembler. Principal project 'Impact' - a breakout clone for the Atari ST (68000 assembler)
Hewson Consultants Ltd
and conversion of computer games for Sinclair Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amstrad 464 (etc).
• Notable products include 'Pyracurse' (Sinclair Spectrum game) and ZAPP (Z80 assember/disassembler/single-step debugger for Spectrum and Amstrad).
Languages used: Z80 and 6502 assembler.
I have had a long and varied career in computing, and have programmed a wide range of hardware using a variety of language. I have written computer game in Z80 and 6502 assembler and maintained MUMPS medical databases. I have a very deep knowledge of object oriented lanfguages, especially the C and Pascal family in general and Delphi in particular, including component design and IDE customisation.
I am used to working as a team member and as a 'lone wolf', and I enjoy just writing good solid code with strong functionality and ergonomic user interfaces.
I am still fanatically interested in computers and I do code for pleasure. However, I am not just a computer nerd, and have a wide range of interests outside computing, especially in the world of the arts. I am a keen amateur actor and composer.
I communicate well and I am at ease dealing with people at a human level, from CEOs to shop-floor workers. I am flexible and am used to and enjoy facing and solving unusual challenges.
Qualifications & Certifications
Porth Grammar Technical School
Is this your profile?
If this is your profile, then you can claim it now and log into your account.
We will need to verify your account and email address before you can log in. To claim your profile now, please use the 'Claim Profile' button below.
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more