Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Technical Sales Reprent. For Plastic Raw Materials Covering SA.
Reporting to General Manager.
- Servicing the whole of South Africa for companies processing Dough Moulding Compound and Phenolic Moulding Compound, for Injection and Compression moulding processes, with technical back up and to increase sales volumes.
- Assisting General Manager of the Moulding Compounds Division in all duties that include queries, advising on material grades for applications as well development of new products and their uses, becoming familiar with material grades formulations and plant processes.
- Training work over six months part time in the Dough Moulding Compound plant and laboratory, producing batches of DMC. to formulation sheets for existing, modified, and new product applications.
-Liaise with both plants regarding product / material planning.
- Comply monthly reports on sales ans new ans existing developments.
- Liase with Freeman Chemicals UK. license for DMC. ref. technical information ie. material formulation and moulding techniques, component applications.
- Product costing ref. s.v.c. plus profit margins.
- Negotiating product prices with companies at MD, level.
- Liaising with companies production personnel on material / moulding problems / queries assisting at mould trials of both raw materials.
0. Consultant in the Plastics Industry
January 2007 - December 2008
Product Development Manager
Dutton Plastics Engineering
March 1994 - December 2006
From March 1994 to 31 st. December 2006.
Manufacturers of plastic bottles and closures, and plastic plumbing accessories.
Position: Product Development Manager. Reporting to MD.
Provide a technical back up service to various internal departments with
Regard to improvements to existing products and the development of new
Products to customer requirements.
- Attend to technical complaints from customers by investigating them
thoroughly and making recommendations for corrective actions to ensure
- Develop new products according to customer requirements.
- Supervising designers on product and mould requirements.
- Keep up to date with new developments in the field by studying relevant
Literature, visiting plastic exhibitions and liaising with all parties concerned.
- Approve all new products before releasing them to sales by checking
Specifications and drawings, to ensure compliance with customer
- Attend all new mould trials and make recommendations where necessary.
- Recommend modification to existing plastic moulds to achieve better results
Based on information gained through research and analysis of problem
- Attend S.A.B.S. meetings and to ensure that Dutton Plastics plumbing products conform to S.A.B.S. specifications.
- Liaise with overseas clients regarding the technical aspects and sales of
Dutton Plastics products.
- Handle all new enquiries for plumbing and packaging, products involvement with plumbing and packaging component costing.
- Problem solving for manufacturing and production assembly.
- Implement raw material changes when required.
- Attend the following courses through the Zimco Group.
- The handling of discipline and grievances in accordance with fair procedures.
- Job analysis, specifications and descriptions.
- Labour Relations act 1995.
- Generate capex / appraisal for new and...
Consultant to the Plastics Industry
October 1991 - February 1994
Designing and developing plastic products / components for injection compression , blow moulding.
- Servicing the plastics industry in South Africa.
Design Engineer in the Mechanical Research and Development
Telkor ( Pty) Ltd
September 1989 - September 1991
From September 1989 to September 1991.
Manufactures of Telecommunications equipment, Public Telephones.
Position. Design Engineer in the Mechanical Research and Development
Department. Reporting to Technical Director.
- Designing Public Telephones for South Africa and overseas markets ie.
Coin, chip card, and desk top applications.
- Raising capex for tooling , handling quotations for tooling, ensuring complete drawing pacts are complied.
- Designing components in sheet steel, thermoplastics, aluminium.
- Checking and signing off products / component drawings for tool mould manufacture.
Technical Representative for Moulding Compounds
Poly Resin Products Speciality Division
August 1987 - August 1989
of Sentrachem Group From August 1987 to August .1989.
Position. Technical Representative for Moulding Compounds.
Responsibilities: Reporting to General Manager.
- Servicing the whole of South Africa for companies processing Dough
moulding compound and Phenolic moulding compound, for Injection and compression moulding processes, with technical back up and to increase sales volumes against budgets.
- Assisting the General Manager of Moulding Compounds in all duties that
Include queries, advising on material grade applications as well as development of new products and their uses, becoming familiar with
Material grade formulations and plant processes.
- Training work over six months part time in the Dough moulding compound
Plant and laboratory, producing batches of D.M.C. to formulation sheets for
Existing , modified , and new products applications.
- Liaise with both plants regarding product / material planning.
- Compile monthly report on sales and new and existing developments.
- Liaise with Freeman Chemicals UK. License for DMC. Ref. Technical
Information ie. Material formulation and moulding technique , component
- Product costing ref. S.V.C. plus profit margin.
- Negotiating product prices with companies at M.D. level down.
- Liaising with companies production personnel on material / moulding
Problems / queries, assisting at mould trials of both plastic raw materials.
5. Telephone Manufacturers of South Africa. From July 1986 to July 1987.
Manufacturers of telecommunications equipment, domestic telephone and
Position: Mechanical Engineer. in the Mechanical Research and Development
Department. Reporting to R/D. Manager.
- Design and development of plastic and steel components, for public and industrial telephones.
- Liaison with Toolroom manager , Production Manager moulding, Production Assembly, Industrial Engineering, Quality Assurance,...
Design / Product Engineer in the Electrical / Mechanical Research
January 1981 - June 1986
From January 1981 to June 1986.
Manufacturers of Electrical Wiring Accessories for Industrial and consumer use.
Position: Design / Product Engineer in the Electrical / Mechanical Research
& Development Department. Reporting to R/D. Manager
- Responsible for research and development, for product , mould , tool designs and project action flow charts.
- Liaison with Technical Director, Works Management, Toolroom Manager
Marketing, Inspection, Production Manager of the moulding shop, Work
Study, and Costing Accountant.
- Involvement of testing new plastic raw materials in our laboratory for product applications, tool room activities in general , assisting mould trials.
- Problem solving in the Moulding shop, Production assembly, and product
- Liaison with outside mould manufactures , Plastic raw material suppliers,
Engineering companies, and Technical representatives.
- Placing the overflow of Injection , Compression moulds manufacture
requirements with outside mould manufacturers for plastic raw materials.
- Attending S.A.B.S. meetings to ensure that Litemaster products conformed to S.A.B.S. specifications.
- Member of the Litemaster committee for job evaluation and value engineering.
- Liaison with overseas engineering companies.
Product and Injection mould designer
Consol Plastics Wadeville Germiston
South African Moulded Plastics Springs.
- Consol Plastics. 1970 to 1975 Manufacturers of blow moulded bottles and containers / injection moulded closures / caps.
Moulding materials were H.D.P.E. / Polypropylene poly styrene / L.D.P.E.
- Training junior draughtsman / plastic mould and product designers.
- South African Moulding Plastics.. 1975 to 1981 Manufacturers of plastic components for the South African telephone industry and Custom trade moulders.
- Moulding materials were mainly all Engineering plastics and Urea thermoset
- Supervising and training junior designers in plastic product and injection
/ compression Mould design for Thermoplastic and Thermoset moulding.
- Placing mould manufacture to out side tool making companies.
EXPERIENCE IN ENGLAND.
1. Plessey Marine Systems Division. Ilford Essex England.
From April 1967 - June 1970.
Manufactures of underwater weapons systems for naval use by England and other countries.
Employed as a centre lathe turner working to fine tolerances. As most of the
Components were for eventually used in torpedoes etc. for the navies of the free world, extremely high standards of quality and accuracy were required at all times.
All work was to blue print drawings. I left Plessey to emigrate to South Africa at May 1970.
The Exchange Telegraph Co. Ltd
From March 1967
Manufactures of Electric Typewriters and ticker tape machines.
Employed as an Instrument maker and was given training in machines work
Including milling, drilling, capstan, and centre lathe work, sheet metal
Work, gear cutting etc.
Most of the work was to blue print drawings, small run offs of components only were made.
This gave me a variety of work and opportunity to gain experience on all the different types of machines
After a period of five years I qualified as an instrument maker and was paid full trades mans rates.
Qualifications & Certifications
Pretoria Advanced Technical College in Injection
Triptons Boys High School
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more