• I train groups to MASTER LinkedIn: Job seekers, College, Small Business, Recruiters, and Sales
• I transform LinkedIn profiles, resumes and create LinkedIn company pages
Strategic Communications Director
From September 2011
Strategic Communications Director | Social Media Director | Public Relations Director -- September 2011 to Present
• Lead career help and LinkedIn training workshops and webinars. Transform clients' LinkedIn profiles and company pages.
• Author and post valuable content for Getajobtips.com and handle all branding and content management to maintain site.
• Lead weekly job seeker webinars on www.ilostmyjob.com and serve as Career Doctor to communicate career guidance there.
• Prepare and present in-person workshops to help job seekers on a variety of job search topics. Also coach job applicants.
• Use social media extensively (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Hootsuite, Pinterest, EventBrite, Social Media Examiner, etc.)
VIEW SITE: Getajobtips.com IMPACT: Click Testimonials/Media tab on site. STATS: 418,000+ page views (StatCounter.com)
Director of Communications and Advertising Sales Man
North American Equipment Dealers Association
September 2009 - September 2011
(NAEDA) - Advocates for U.S. /Canadian agricultural equipment dealers
Director of Communications and Advertising Sales Man September 2009 to September 2011
Reason for leaving: Magazine picked up by major agricultural publisher after changes I implemented made it much more profitable.
• Led agricultural association's strategic communications. Also served as managing editor of its magazine and e-newsletters.
• Handled extensive agriculture advocacy and manufacturer relations messaging to help drive dealer-friendly outcomes.
• Oversaw association's media/public relations efforts; created extensive PR database. Continually built paid advertising base.
• Transformed association's outdated web site and e-newsletter into powerful news and information resources.
• Established NAEDA's LinkedIn and Twitter social media presence. Launched CEO blog. Twitter following: 960+
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT NAEDA
• Enhanced content of NAEDA Equipment Dealer magazine to such a degree, we were consistently able to add an extra 8+ pages of paid advertising per issue. Content additions included leading expert columns, new product spotlights and training features.
• Revamped NAEDA's buyer's guide to offer display advertising near advertisers' listings, which helped increase ad sales by 42% in the first year and by more than 75% in the second year.
Brown Shoe, Inc. - Leading global footwear marketer of Naturalizer, Dr. Scholl's, Fergie, and other top brands
Manager of Internal Communications
July 2008 - August 2009
Reason for leaving: Took advantageous voluntary separation package offered to all employees (1/5 of employees took the offer).
• Led strategic employee communications to company's associates, including electronic, print and SAP communications.
• In coordination with Information Technologies division, implemented new intranet communication processes.
• Developed extensive leadership and SAP messaging and participated in constant interaction with executives.
• Oversaw coordination of major employee and leadership meetings and handled corporate brand signage.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT AT BROWN SHOE
• Oversaw new building survey communications that garnered an 80% employee response, a record survey response.
LHM - An international media ministry with offices in 33 countries and an annual budget of $20 million
LHM - Global
(Returned to LHM in 2004-2008 to serve in a higher position) May 1992 to February 1995
• Wrote and designed print materials and booth displays, produced videos, TV and radio commercials, and presentations.
• Set designer/wardrobe coordinator/chief audience director for "On Main Street" TV program. Coordinator of major booths.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT LHM (the first time employed with LHM)
• Created a campaign, which garnered a 250% increase in orders for a radio special; 1,600 new stations aired it.
• Conceived, wrote, and marketed a bulletin insert distributed to more than 400,000 people.
Manager of Employee Communications
November 1997 - July 2004
Reason for leaving: Recruited for director-level position at LHM where I had worked previously.
• Oversaw strategic internal communications efforts for the world's largest rental car company ($6.9 billion rev., FY '03)
• Strategized with executives to communicate key initiatives to employees. Also wrote executive speeches.
• Developed and managed six major print and online publications-from strategic planning to final implementation.
• Served as editor-in-chief of Free Enterprise, the award-winning magazine for Enterprise's 60,000+ employees.
• Wrote and designed publications and employee HR/healthcare/benefits materials. Also managed writers and designers.
• Oversaw department Internet/intranet efforts including the award-winning Communicator's Toolbox resource.
• Directed the planning and proceedings of Enterprise's monthly general assemblies for 2,000 corporate employees.
• Handled negotiations with printers, photographers and freelancers and managed a $500,000 publication budget.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT ENTERPRISE
• Transformed Free Enterprise from an amateurish-looking publication to a multiple award-winning magazine.
• Helped conceive and produce TIPS and KEYS, four-color magazines for Enterprise Car Sales and Fleet Services customers.
• Won 24 awards for publication excellence: Six IABC Silver Quills, four IABC Bronze Quills, eight Int'l Apex awards, two
Dalton Pen awards, and four consecutive local United Way Best Overall Campaign Communications Awards.
Oldies 103-KLOU FM - A CBS-owned and operated oldies radio station; now owned by Clear Channel Media & Entertainment
Director of Advertising, Marketing and Promotions
February 1995 - November 1997
Reason for leaving: Better, more stable opportunity at Enterprise. KLOU had been sold three times during my tenure.
• Directed the advertising, marketing and promotional efforts of a major FM station. Analyzed data to determine plans.
• Conceived and coordinated TV, telemarketing, direct mail, public relations, and fax campaigns to increase listenership.
• Controlled a $750,000 annual budget and managed and promoted up to 150 station events and concerts per year.
• Managed eight remote (event) coordinators including their hirings and terminations. Worked with prominent charities.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT KLOU
• Selected as KLOU's Outstanding Employee of 1996. Presented with a CBS stock option award.
Director of Corporate Communications and Donor Relations
July 2004 to April 2008
Reason for leaving: Part of 25% staff reduction after total executive regime change. Former executives are my references.
• Led LHM's dramatic re-branding and style guide programs to ensure consistent imagery and messaging worldwide.
• Developed capital campaign messaging. Served on campaign committee. Oversaw LHM's powerful e-news efforts.
• Led speechwriting, media/public relations, crisis and web communications. Edited fundraising appeals/communications.
• Managed writers and donor communication specialists, as well as coordinators of LHM's 2,500-volunteer network.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT LHM
• Directed LHM's annual special Sunday efforts in 3,000 churches, increasing donations by $80,000 year over year.
• Oversaw 2,000% growth in e-newsletter distribution to reach more than 50,000 donors, volunteers, and pastors.
• Launched and marketed an LHM bulletin insert program that reaches 140,000 church members in 1,000 churches.
Enterprise Rent-a-Car (now Enterprise Holdings) - The world's largest rental car company
Turec Advertising Company
July 1990 - May 1992
July 1990 to May 1992
• Wrote media spots and art directed all print advertising and collateral materials for the agency's national retail clients.
• Freelanced for Turec, Hallmark Cards, Ralston Purina, Fabick Tractor, Bunny Bread, and others - February-May, 1992.
Vice President - Creative / Creative Director
Growth By Design, Inc
July 1988 - July 1990
A now defunct B2B direct-mail ad agency. Reason for leaving: Company became mail house.
Vice President - Creative / Creative Director July 1988 to July 1990
• Creative directed, art directed, and wrote direct mail materials and wrote and produced television and radio spots.
• Extensive development and implementation of new business campaigns. Acted as account executive on some accounts.
Winfield Advertising Agency
August 1985 - July 1988
August 1985 to July 1988
• Wrote and produced TV and radio spots for agency's retail and B2B accounts. Acted as assistant AE for some accounts.
• Creative directed and wrote copy for newspaper ads, brochures, and direct mail campaigns for ten accounts.
• Won a Marconi Award for Best Automotive Radio Spot and two National Bank Marketing Association Awards for Magna Bank.
• Officer/Board Member/Ex-Officio Board Member - American Advertising Federation [Ad Club] 2003-present.
• Board Member - Whitney R. Harris World Ecology Center [UMSL/Saint Louis Zoo/Mo. Botanical Garden] 2003-2012.
Getajobtips.com Printable Resources
Printable resources to help people in their job search.
Kathy Bernard Communications Portfolio
Corporate, internal/external and job seeker communications | marketing | public relations and advertising leader with experience in corporations, media, nonprofits/associations, and ad agencies
Expertise in counseling executives, developing advanced communication and marketing strategies, launching integrated public relations and social networking programs, and leveraging communication technology. Also experienced in TV/radio script writing, speech writing, events, promotions, development/fundraising, public speaking, blogging, branding, and design. Directed in-house teams and external agencies to produce award-winning, strategic communications and global blog
Qualifications & Certifications
Webster Groves High School
University of Missouri
University of Missouri