Claim you profile
• I train groups to MASTER LinkedIn: Job seekers, College, Small Business, Recruiters, and Sales
• I transform LinkedIn profiles, resumes and create LinkedIn company pages
Strategic Communications Director
From September 2011
Strategic Communications Director | Social Media Director | Public Relations Director -- September 2011 to Present
• Lead career help and LinkedIn training workshops and webinars. Transform clients' LinkedIn profiles and company pages.
• Author and post valuable content for Getajobtips.com and handle all branding and content management to maintain site.
• Lead weekly job seeker webinars on www.ilostmyjob.com and serve as Career Doctor to communicate career guidance there.
• Prepare and present in-person workshops to help job seekers on a variety of job search topics. Also coach job applicants.
• Use social media extensively (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Hootsuite, Pinterest, EventBrite, Social Media Examiner, etc.)
VIEW SITE: Getajobtips.com IMPACT: Click Testimonials/Media tab on site. STATS: 418,000+ page views (StatCounter.com)
Director of Communications and Advertising Sales Man
North American Equipment Dealers Association
September 2009 - September 2011
(NAEDA) - Advocates for U.S. /Canadian agricultural equipment dealers
Director of Communications and Advertising Sales Man September 2009 to September 2011
Reason for leaving: Magazine picked up by major agricultural publisher after changes I implemented made it much more profitable.
• Led agricultural association's strategic communications. Also served as managing editor of its magazine and e-newsletters.
• Handled extensive agriculture advocacy and manufacturer relations messaging to help drive dealer-friendly outcomes.
• Oversaw association's media/public relations efforts; created extensive PR database. Continually built paid advertising base.
• Transformed association's outdated web site and e-newsletter into powerful news and information resources.
• Established NAEDA's LinkedIn and Twitter social media presence. Launched CEO blog. Twitter following: 960+
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT NAEDA
• Enhanced content of NAEDA Equipment Dealer magazine to such a degree, we were consistently able to add an extra 8+ pages of paid advertising per issue. Content additions included leading expert columns, new product spotlights and training features.
• Revamped NAEDA's buyer's guide to offer display advertising near advertisers' listings, which helped increase ad sales by 42% in the first year and by more than 75% in the second year.
Brown Shoe, Inc. - Leading global footwear marketer of Naturalizer, Dr. Scholl's, Fergie, and other top brands
Manager of Internal Communications
July 2008 - August 2009
Reason for leaving: Took advantageous voluntary separation package offered to all employees (1/5 of employees took the offer).
• Led strategic employee communications to company's associates, including electronic, print and SAP communications.
• In coordination with Information Technologies division, implemented new intranet communication processes.
• Developed extensive leadership and SAP messaging and participated in constant interaction with executives.
• Oversaw coordination of major employee and leadership meetings and handled corporate brand signage.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT AT BROWN SHOE
• Oversaw new building survey communications that garnered an 80% employee response, a record survey response.
LHM - An international media ministry with offices in 33 countries and an annual budget of $20 million
LHM - Global
(Returned to LHM in 2004-2008 to serve in a higher position) May 1992 to February 1995
• Wrote and designed print materials and booth displays, produced videos, TV and radio commercials, and presentations.
• Set designer/wardrobe coordinator/chief audience director for "On Main Street" TV program. Coordinator of major booths.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT LHM (the first time employed with LHM)
• Created a campaign, which garnered a 250% increase in orders for a radio special; 1,600 new stations aired it.
• Conceived, wrote, and marketed a bulletin insert distributed to more than 400,000 people.
Manager of Employee Communications
November 1997 - July 2004
Reason for leaving: Recruited for director-level position at LHM where I had worked previously.
• Oversaw strategic internal communications efforts for the world's largest rental car company ($6.9 billion rev., FY '03)
• Strategized with executives to communicate key initiatives to employees. Also wrote executive speeches.
• Developed and managed six major print and online publications-from strategic planning to final implementation.
• Served as editor-in-chief of Free Enterprise, the award-winning magazine for Enterprise's 60,000+ employees.
• Wrote and designed publications and employee HR/healthcare/benefits materials. Also managed writers and designers.
• Oversaw department Internet/intranet efforts including the award-winning Communicator's Toolbox resource.
• Directed the planning and proceedings of Enterprise's monthly general assemblies for 2,000 corporate employees.
• Handled negotiations with printers, photographers and freelancers and managed a $500,000 publication budget.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT ENTERPRISE
• Transformed Free Enterprise from an amateurish-looking publication to a multiple award-winning magazine.
• Helped conceive and produce TIPS and KEYS, four-color magazines for Enterprise Car Sales and Fleet Services customers.
• Won 24 awards for publication excellence: Six IABC Silver Quills, four IABC Bronze Quills, eight Int'l Apex awards, two
Dalton Pen awards, and four consecutive local United Way Best Overall Campaign Communications Awards.
Oldies 103-KLOU FM - A CBS-owned and operated oldies radio station; now owned by Clear Channel Media & Entertainment
Director of Advertising, Marketing and Promotions
February 1995 - November 1997
Reason for leaving: Better, more stable opportunity at Enterprise. KLOU had been sold three times during my tenure.
• Directed the advertising, marketing and promotional efforts of a major FM station. Analyzed data to determine plans.
• Conceived and coordinated TV, telemarketing, direct mail, public relations, and fax campaigns to increase listenership.
• Controlled a $750,000 annual budget and managed and promoted up to 150 station events and concerts per year.
• Managed eight remote (event) coordinators including their hirings and terminations. Worked with prominent charities.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT KLOU
• Selected as KLOU's Outstanding Employee of 1996. Presented with a CBS stock option award.
Director of Corporate Communications and Donor Relations
July 2004 to April 2008
Reason for leaving: Part of 25% staff reduction after total executive regime change. Former executives are my references.
• Led LHM's dramatic re-branding and style guide programs to ensure consistent imagery and messaging worldwide.
• Developed capital campaign messaging. Served on campaign committee. Oversaw LHM's powerful e-news efforts.
• Led speechwriting, media/public relations, crisis and web communications. Edited fundraising appeals/communications.
• Managed writers and donor communication specialists, as well as coordinators of LHM's 2,500-volunteer network.
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT LHM
• Directed LHM's annual special Sunday efforts in 3,000 churches, increasing donations by $80,000 year over year.
• Oversaw 2,000% growth in e-newsletter distribution to reach more than 50,000 donors, volunteers, and pastors.
• Launched and marketed an LHM bulletin insert program that reaches 140,000 church members in 1,000 churches.
Enterprise Rent-a-Car (now Enterprise Holdings) - The world's largest rental car company
Turec Advertising Company
July 1990 - May 1992
July 1990 to May 1992
• Wrote media spots and art directed all print advertising and collateral materials for the agency's national retail clients.
• Freelanced for Turec, Hallmark Cards, Ralston Purina, Fabick Tractor, Bunny Bread, and others - February-May, 1992.
Vice President - Creative / Creative Director
Growth By Design, Inc
July 1988 - July 1990
A now defunct B2B direct-mail ad agency. Reason for leaving: Company became mail house.
Vice President - Creative / Creative Director July 1988 to July 1990
• Creative directed, art directed, and wrote direct mail materials and wrote and produced television and radio spots.
• Extensive development and implementation of new business campaigns. Acted as account executive on some accounts.
Winfield Advertising Agency
August 1985 - July 1988
August 1985 to July 1988
• Wrote and produced TV and radio spots for agency's retail and B2B accounts. Acted as assistant AE for some accounts.
• Creative directed and wrote copy for newspaper ads, brochures, and direct mail campaigns for ten accounts.
• Won a Marconi Award for Best Automotive Radio Spot and two National Bank Marketing Association Awards for Magna Bank.
• Officer/Board Member/Ex-Officio Board Member - American Advertising Federation [Ad Club] 2003-present.
• Board Member - Whitney R. Harris World Ecology Center [UMSL/Saint Louis Zoo/Mo. Botanical Garden] 2003-2012.
Getajobtips.com Printable Resources
Printable resources to help people in their job search.
Kathy Bernard Communications Portfolio
Corporate, internal/external and job seeker communications | marketing | public relations and advertising leader with experience in corporations, media, nonprofits/associations, and ad agencies
Expertise in counseling executives, developing advanced communication and marketing strategies, launching integrated public relations and social networking programs, and leveraging communication technology. Also experienced in TV/radio script writing, speech writing, events, promotions, development/fundraising, public speaking, blogging, branding, and design. Directed in-house teams and external agencies to produce award-winning, strategic communications and global blog
Qualifications & Certifications
Webster Groves High School
University of Missouri
University of Missouri
Is this your profile?
If this is your profile, then you can claim it now and log into your account.
We will need to verify your account and email address before you can log in. To claim your profile now, please use the 'Claim Profile' button below.
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more