(All references available on request) I am in the process of acquiring an undergraduate degree in Psychology and Linguistics. I have had to take time off from these studies in order to save money to pay for the remainder of my tertiary education. As a result of my studies thus far, I have a great command of English and French and an in-depth understanding of language structures, patterns, acquisition parameters etc.
I have experience teaching these two languages, as I spent 7 months in Doha, Qatar at an international school in a teaching position. These classes involved not only the mediation of cultural differences in learning, but demanded the ability to access students with learning and behavioural barriers. I therefore have experience teaching remedial subjects and am confident developing/implementing an SEN syllabus.
My experience with language has also allowed me to gain experience editing and proofing a variety of texts in my spare time. I have experience in discourse analysis, target writing, textual analysis, translation and transcriptions.
I am looking for work in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town within the fields of copywriting, editing, proofing, translating, language tutoring or admin.
Analysis of linguistic structures within any specific language, especially French and English; in-depth grammatical knowledge; exoerience in language acquisition and language teaching in a multicultural paradigm; ability to produce specialised and targeted texts depending on necessary audience.
High School Teacher
NISL Lagoon Campus
December 2013 - June 2014
Teaching national curriculum English, French, History to Key Stage 3 students (ages 11-16)
• Created programmes of work based on Studio 1,2 and 3 textbooks.
• Planned and prepared lessons to suit varying levels of linguistic skill within the class; differentiated learning activities.
• Used a range of interactive teaching methods to enhance learning: interactive whiteboard, games, modern culture and events.
• Monitored learning through a range of assessment techniques.
• Discipline through positive reinforcement and basic classroom management techniques; seating plans, detentions, communication with parents.
• Planned and orchestrated cultural activities and excursions relevant to course content.
• Provision of remedial lessons and additional lessons all 3 subjects and development of Special Education Needs lesson plans for set 3.
Supervision of sports events and cultural days
• Orchestration/timing supervision of sports and track events at Sports Day
• First Aid and relief provision
• Motivation and encouragement for those students requiring it
• Organisation and orchestration of cultural outings or lessons within the French department; French breakfast/picnic in conjunction with module on food, for example.
Cover Teacher duties
• Permanent cover of Citizenship; development of curriculum and implementation of lessons as well as classroom management and personal development of students.
Champs Action Bar - Graham Hotel
Event planner for Champs Idols; a 6-week vocalist competition run through Graham Hotel:
• Coordination and management of the Front of the House staff team and services
• Coordination and management of the stage setting and lighting
• Coordination and management of advertising and marketing, programme planning and contestant processing.
• Coordination and management of sales specials and sponsorship throughout the competition.
Strategic planning of weekly music acts and events:
• Coordination and management of the stage lighting, sound engineering, sales specials, customer relations, advertising and promotions.
• Negotiations with brand representatives.
• Establishing the venue's main purpose in line with professional projects and event hosting.
• Coordination of brand development through promotion of local musical and arts events (Pop, Rock, Jazz, World Music, Classical and Contemporary Music performances - exhibitions and multimedia installations - conferences - receptions, etc.)
• Design and planning of the organisational structure and future operational strategies for the uses of different activities in the venue.
• Management of requisite profiles for all departments; sales, maintenance, marketing and Front of House staff.
• Mediation of conflict situations
• Delegation of duties
• Communication between departments (Kitchen, bar, stage, floor, main hotel)
• Training of staff and feedback on employee performance
• Disciplinary action when required
• Staff/Customer relations and quality control
Qualifications & Certifications
TEFL 150 Hour Master Course
St. Mary's DSG
Psychology and Linguistics
French Second Language
St. Mary's Diocesan School for Girls
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more