Southeast Alternative School
From July 2010
Challenged to provide leadership and direction in bringing a change in the philosophy of behavioral support and interventions that were provided to the
students at Southeast School.
* Worked with Southeast Staff and District Administration to develop a mission
statement and school improvement plan that works to promote the academic
growth of all students.
* Developed a "no fail" grading policy that based grades on student achievement on mastery of concepts and skills.
* Headed the Southeast School Improvement Team to make sound decisions based on the school mission statement.
* Developed Teacher grade Level Teams and assisted those teams to write a
comprehensive researched-based curriculum that aligned to the Common Core
Instrumental in developing a visionary change in the philosophy of the school
behavioral support system to a positive system.
PBIS model is now being utilized throughout the program in the first year of implementation, the discipline referrals and suspension rate have declined by an
average of 10%.
Developed Crisis Intervention Behavioral Stabilization Classroom (CIBS), which is an alternative to out of school suspension to address the need of students in crisis.
Worked to build and retain student focused educational teams by hiring developing and motivating a highly skilled teaching staff and providing necessary staff
Introduced and provided staff development in a new student data-based
management system that assists teachers in developing lesson plans that align with the Common Core Standards and lead teachers in writing curriculum aligned with
Common Core Standards
Advised and provided administrative support to the District Rtl team to adopt a
universal screening method that was used 3 times yearly to look at student literacy
performance and develop intervention strategies based on student need.
Worked with the Assistant Principal to develop yearly master schedule.
Developed school safety plan that was used as a model...
Joliet Alternative High School
July 2003 - June 2010
I was the principal of the Joliet Alternative High School for six years. I was responsible for the daily operations of the school.
Joliet Alternative High School District 204
July 2003 - July 2010
* Promoted to guide and direct all aspects of administration, fiscal management, and instruction at the high school.
* Interviewed, hired, and evaluated special education teachers and para-professionals.
* Improved standardized test scores by establishing a summer school reading and math
program for all incoming freshmen students.
* Established a successful peer mediation program and worked closely with school social
worker and dean to retain the program.
* Introduced weekly positive goal setting that fostered a positive environment
* Developed yearly master schedule.
* Worked with District Administrative Team to establish a co-teaching model which
allowed many of the students from my school to return to the main campus.
* Served as Special Education Chairperson for the district and developed curriculum
based on state standards for all subjects.
Prepared and managed yearly budget.
Established two new computer labs, selected hardware and software, set up teacher
training and integrated computer classes into the master schedule.
Chaired all special education staffing, trained teachers in IEP goal writing.
Implemented parental support meetings.
Prepared monthly report and presented to the School Board.
Developed "No Fail Grading Policy"
The school I was at for the past three years, had a high failure and drop out rate in the high school program. Working with the School Improvement Team, a "No Fail Grading Policy" was established. Students were allowed to review, redo and retake, and were graded on student outcomes. Within the first year of this new policy, the drop out rate dropped by 33% and student attendance rose to over 93%. Students were feeling good about their progress and wanted to stay in school.
Qualifications & Certifications
Governor's State University
Bradley University and Governors State University
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more