I have grounding experience working at micro level, national and international stage developing and designing programs. My areas of proficiency are highly diverse, including human resource management, government lobbying, rural development, relief and emergency refuge programs, environmental monitoring and training, peace mediation and negotiations, and fundraising, and partnership networks. This is complimented by a Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences - Makerere University - Kampala Uganda; a Master of Arts degree in International Law, Policy, and Diplomacy with a special focus on International Resource Policy and Law; Economics and Development Strategies; Humanitarian assistance; Corporate Social Responsibility, Mediation and Negotiations – at The Fletcher School, Tufts University; and a Master of Science in Sustainable Resource Management and Policy with special focus on human development and government, social and economic policies, and community sustainable development outcomes – at Imperial - Wye College, London University. I have excellent interpersonal communication skills. I am fluent in English, working knowledge of French, Swahili, and several other African languages. I have travelled extensively in Africa, Europe, North and Central Americas, interacting with leadership in government, business, NGOs, and diplomatic corps. I am a USA resident, married with two children.
International Sustainable Development Expert
I have over 15 unique combination of experiences gathered while working intimately both with governments, private sector, and civil society organizations in Africa, USA, and central Americas. Currently Country Director for USAID project in Uganda.
Kaddu Kiwe Sebunya
From April 2014
targeted communities; 148,936 hectares of areas of biological significance under improved management;
Sustainable, long-lasting and proactive partnerships between communities, businesses and park authorities.
• Established the entire program operations from setting up country office, hiring technical staff, to leadership for designing program implementation strategy including building partnership for program implementation with intergovernmental agencies, non-governmental organizations and the private sector in Uganda
• Principal lead on preparation and oversight of annual work planning and ensured deliverables are on target and reporting on USAID standard and custom indicators for biodiversity, sustainable landscapes, and economic growth.
• Development of strategies for partnerships with USAID, USFS, and Uganda government through ministries and institutions focused on biodiversity conservation and tourism capacity building including the placement of multiple short term advisors within government institutions and the development and execution of research and data analysis on tourism sector programming initiatives.
• Working with local partners, designed, managed and monitored a public private partnerships for the STAR
program which included Pearls of Uganda, a nationally recognized program which supported 50+
community enterprises and 120 private sector members by encouraging improved business performance and conservation support. Conceptualized and implemented a sustainable tourism criteria program for Uganda with over 35 participating businesses in its inaugural year.
• Team Leader in managing the national and international marketing strategies for the Pearls of Uganda
program, increasing North American outreach and national inclusion of community and conservation
tourism in itineraries. Developed tools and managed support programs to improve tourism enterprises for market readiness, which included operations assessments, infrastructure...
conservation and development
Kaddu Kiwe Sebunya
From April 2014
in Africa. Testifying to Congress in regard to wildlife meat trade in Africa.
• Responsible for communication and coordination of AWF collaborative effort of leading private and public
sector organizations such as World Bank, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), and USFS, USFWS, African Diplomatic Corps based in USA, and the UN, in the sustainable development
strategy development for Africa.
• Team Leader in planning, budget, and communications for multiple projects such as AWF $9 million
program in Democratic Republic of Congo under the USAID Central Africa Program for Environment
(CARPE), and the Mountain Gorilla Conservation Program in Rwanda, Uganda and Democratic Republic of
Chief of Party, USAID/Uganda Tourism for Biodiversity Program
AFRICAN WILDLIFE FOUNDATION
Manager of a diverse team of technical advisers to Uganda government institutions managing national parks and the forestry sector. Developing and maintaining regular contacts with Uganda government including managing
partnership and relations with international and local non-government agencies in building host country capacity at national and local levels. Accomplishments include:
• Designing a $10 million program from inception to building implementation partnerships in a manner that
promotes USAID and AWF mission and enhances the status of tourism and conservation among government decision-making bodies, intergovernmental agencies, non-governmental organizations and the
private sector in Uganda.
• Leading operational management of all AWF program activities in Uganda. I ensure effectiveness and efficient management of financial and human resources, plus development and maintenance of relevant
policies, procedures and control systems.
• In collaboration with implementing partners, I lead planning, budgeting and designing of program activities to ensure an integrated approach and transfer of project methodologies to both government and local
• Facilitating initiatives and dialogues on key issues of conservation policy based on AWF and Uganda
government priorities, including developing and maintaining long-term fund generation strategies and nurturing relations with the donor community in Uganda.
• Leading the preparation and maintenance of a detailed program workplan and I ensure deliverables are on target and in a timely manner to guarantee program successful implementation in line with USAID and
AWF established procedures and guidelines.
• Managing day-to-day operations of the program. I ensure effective administration and tracking of project
finances, program monitoring and evaluation, timely donor reporting, and effective coordination and cooperation between project implementing partners.
• Preparing management plans and...
Chief of Party, USAID/Uganda Stainable Tourism in the Albertine Rift (STAR) Program
SOLIMAR INTERNATIONAL Inc
Uganda Team Leader responsible for in country technical and managerial aspects of a $6 million USAID funded
program. My project management position required bringing together and coordinating efforts with over 45
conservation and tourism stakeholders (government agencies, donors, and private sector companies, local and national NGOs) with a focus on revisiting Uganda's biodiversity/environmental goals and identifying role of
tourism in conservation. I also provided technical design support to Solimar International programs in Africa. Over
three years, the STAR program achieved 60% average increase in revenues for targeted community enterprises; 27%
average increase in household income in targeted communities; Approximately 35% reduction of people in abject
poverty in targeted communities; Over 20% increase in the number of people who moved over the poverty line in
Director of Programs - Technical Design
AFRICAN WILDLIFE FOUNDATION (AWF)
Managed projects across Africa for AWF, the largest conservation organization solely focused on Africa. Provided
leadership in developing AWF's strategic partnership efforts and to create innovative opportunities towards conservation development programs in Africa. Accomplishments included:
• Served as AWF representative for U.S. Government and U.S.-based multilateral agencies and major
foundations. Represented AWF at high-level technical and policy dialogue with government and other
stakeholders in the U.S.A that lead to increased US government support to Africa including the USAID
Central Africa Program for Environment (CARPE) fund.
• Part of team that secured over $30 million AWF program wide restricted funding from U.S. Government and multilateral sources, and provided technical design support to the field program and Washington, DC
staff. Drafted annual work plans and reports for USAID-funded AWF development programs that support
African governments and NGOs through specialized technical assistance in implementing conservation
program and policy reform.
• Developed and implemented AWF's legislative Capitol Hill engagement with regard to issues affecting
Senior Advisor, Policy and Planning
Managed projects across the globe for Conservation International, an international development company that
partners with government, private companies, and international organizations to promote sustainable development.
Responsible for conservation enterprise global program strategic planning and analysis, program feasibility
assessments and design, program monitoring & evaluation, and technical backstopping to country programs.
Advisor to field programs in African, Central Americas, and China on development policy and planning support.
THE WORLD CONSERVATION UNION
Country Program Coordinator
Provided technical leadership in the development and execution of IUCN's 6 million-dollar budget protected area
management programs in Uganda. Responsible for technical reports, budgets, and program monitoring and evaluation. Oversaw Uganda Government and other IUCN partner's implementation of biodiversity conservation and sustainable rural development projects. Managed all aspects of complex, multi-site plan projects; Prepared
scopes-of-work for short-term technical consultants and coordinated assignments; Prepared reports and executive
summaries of complex plans; Facilitated interactive workshops as a means of coordinating plans and projects with government agencies, numerous local and national NGOs, government agencies, local communities, and
individuals; Managed project budgeting, long-term accounting projections, and financial planning for each park
Associate Director (APCD)
US PEACE CORPS
Environmental Education and Natural Resource Management Program
Developed from concept to final program implementation, the 1998 US Peace Corps best poverty alleviation and natural resource management program. Designed uniform and complementary training systems for Peace Corps
Volunteers (PCV) and their counterparts. Initiated a program for capacity building for locally decentralized rural
governance institutions, and designed tools for volunteers to carry out inventories for community enterprises.
Coordinated programs with international non-governmental organizations to work with volunteers and local
(UK AND IRELAND) Uganda
Relief Program Officer
Team Leader for $12 million integrated support project for over 45,000 Sudanese refugees. Supervised 9 technical
portfolios and over 60 general staff, designed induction programs for overseas emergency support personnel,
planned relief distribution system design group with UNHCR team, and represented Oxfam to interagency meetings and to UNHCR and regional governments.
Kaddu Kiwe Sebunya -3- April 2014
Managed half a million dollar rural water supply project. Responsible for mobilizing community and local
leadership support to the project. Fundraised over half a million pounds from UK and Ireland. Designed a project with maximum participation of communities and closed program at 100 percent community ownership in partnership from various local civil societies and business owners. Responsible for advocacy and fund raising in UK and Ireland.
I have served as African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) representative for U.S. Government and U.S.-based multilateral agencies and major foundations. I represented AWF at high-level technical and policy dialogue with government and other stakeholders in the U.S.A that lead to increased US government support to Africa. Part of team that secured over $30 million AWF program wide restricted funding from U.S. Government and multilateral sources, and provided technical design support to the field program and Washington, DC staff. Developed and implemented AWF’s legislative Capitol Hill engagement with regard to issues affecting conservation and development in Africa - testifying to Congress in regard to wildlife meat trade in Africa; Responsible for communication and coordination of collaborative effort of leading private and public sector organizations such as World Bank, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), and USFS, USFWS, African Diplomatic Corps based in USA, and the UN, in the sustainable development strategy development for Africa.
Qualifications & Certifications
The Fletcher School, Tufts University
Sustainable Resource Management and Policy
Wye College, London University
University of Strasbourg
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more