Claim you profile
Freelance Writer And Editor
I am an Honours degree qualified writer and editor with over 20 years' experience of working with words to maximise their impact. I am always sensitive to the author's individual voice and work closely with all my clients to ensure I give the best-quality service possible and make a real difference to their written words. Professionally I am a long-time Associate of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) in the UK as well as a long-term advocate of the Plain English Campaign.
I particularly enjoy working on book blurbs as well as lifestyle product copywriting, to which I can make a real creative difference.
My writing ethos has always been 'less is more'.
OneStop Editorial Services Ltd
From October 2013
• Own business: Copy-editing, proofreading and ancillary copywriting services.
Senior Bid Editor
August 2011 - October 2013
• Relocated to the north-west from the south-east in June 2011
• Worked within AMEC's Clean Energy - Europe business as a Senior Editor, drawing on six years' prior experience of helping to produce technical bids, tenders and associated submissions, backed by over 20 years' professional writing and editing experience.
• Provided copywriting, rewriting and editing services to wider AMEC organisation for media, advertising, marketing and PR materials.
• Devised, wrote and presented plain English workshops (with accompanying publication) across the company, aimed at developing clearer writing skills to endorse AMEC's affiliation with the Plain English Campaign.
• Originally recruited as Bid Editor, promoted (internally) to Senior Bid Editor in July 2012 with additional responsibilities for managing the editorial arm of the tenders team, alongside career development responsibilities for an inexperienced junior editor.
• Left to start own editing business for more creative opportunities.
Consultant Bid Co-ordinator
Costain Oil, Gas & Process
June 2011 - August 2011
• Two months working for Costain's Oil, Gas & Process division in Cheadle, Cheshire after relocating to the north-west for personal reasons. Edited, reviewed and produced prequalification and tender submissions for the Proposals Manager.
April 2006 - June 2011
• Member of the editorial/creative team responsible for producing all bids, tenders and related documentation within the Major Projects 'Work Winning' department to
professional printing standards.
• Role encompassed writing, editing, bid production and other creative activities, including the creation, sub-editing and production of complex technical documentation to industry-
Julie Amber Hopkins BA (Hons) ELL (Open), Dip ELS (Open)
recognised standards, to final print and publication of the completed tender/bid documents as well as other creative publications as required. Devised and wrote Costain's 'Plain
English', 'Tone of Voice' and capitalisation guides aimed at helping engineers produce a
better standard of English throughout the organisation.
• Demand for the initial English guide entailed a wider distribution throughout (as well as outside) the company.
• Also copy editing consultant on Costain's in-house Editorial Style Guide.
• Use of advanced MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Quark XPress and Adobe Photoshop layout and publishing software; conceptualisation and design of professional covers and binders
produced using external print house.
• Demand-driven role involving working beyond midnight and weekends as required,
necessitating an extremely flexible approach, especially given the additional undertaking of a part-time, six- year honours degree.
• Using professional proofreading and copy editing skills to check and edit work written by engineers and technical authors.
• Role demanded a highly proactive, professional and 'team-player' mentality, with the ability to liaise at all levels and integrate into frequently changing submission/bid teams as
well as undertaking responsibility for, and initiative with regard to, own workload.
June 2005 - April 2006
Reported directly to CEO through Client Director within high-tech IT Pan-
European/Worldwide Media Relations/PR agency.
• Responsible for organising press attendance at Internet World exhibition at Earl's Court and representing the press office at the show.
• Responsible for own clients within both consumer and high-tech IT sectors.
March 2005 - June 2005
Assignments included assisting a small, independent firm of employment law advisers in
Frontline Security Solutions Ltd
Up to March 2005
Chalfont St Peter, Bucks.
• Responsibility for all PR/marketing functions of company including conception, content and implementation of corporate website through external supplier.
• Producing proposals, bids, tenders etc for the company, including proofreading to professional standards.
• Left to return to a more creative and challenging role within publishing/editorial industry.
Elland, W. Yorks., UK
• Reported to managing director with own allocation of clients, in consumer and trade
sectors, including the Women's Institute.
• Responsibilities included copywriting and editing all kinds of advertising/PR/marcomms;
print buying; client liaison; product placements, etc.
• Also generated new business leads for the company.
• Left when former partner was relocated to the south-east for work.
Snr Administrator, Siemens Nixdorf Info
• PA to Network Services Manager and administrator for 30+ full, part-time and contract
• Role also encompassed marketing activities for the department including proofreading and preparing tender submissions and copywriting marketing literature.
• Freelance editing work for the National Childbirth Trust.
• Left to have son (born July 1998)
The Genuine Article
• Reporting to two company owners/directors, responsible for own allocation of clients in the high-tech IT sector with the emphasis on document management.
• PR activities including writing and editing articles, news releases and literature and ensuring highest possible profile for all clients.
• Also trained new entrants to the company in all aspects of the PR and marketing mix.
Berks & Bucks Observer Group Newspapers
Slough, Berks, UK
• 'Head hunted' for this role by former newspaper colleague who had recently taken over role of Advertising Manager.
• Recruited to conduct interviews, write and publish 'advertorial' features, although was also required to produce features for general editorial section of news group, including reviews of events, book reviews, motor test drives and 'wine and dine' features.
• Laid-out own features pages using QuarkXPress software in conjunction with editorial sub.
Michael Barratt Ltd
• Recruited to manage the company's PR division in conjunction with MD, Michael Barratt, the former 'Nationwide' BBC TV broadcaster.
• Managed leading client in pet healthcare industry.
• Devised, planned and organised 'Britain's Best-Loved Dog Award' which culminated in national media-attended final at the London Hilton in the presence of the Princess Royal.
• Role involved sensitive negotiations with the Princess Royal's security, aides and offices.
Senior Creative Editor
• Selected from over 200 applicants to this prestigious and highly sought-after role after completing a comprehensive portfolio to demonstrate creative writing aptitude and abilities.
• Promoted from Editor to Senior Editor within three months of joining the company
• Role encompassed everything from conceptualising and creating new greetings cards and products to rewriting cards sourced from US parent company for UK market.
• Devised and created a best-selling range of collector postcards sold in all Hallmark outlets from unwanted greetings cards lines, re-captioning them with humorous tag lines.
• Interviewed by Jenni Murray on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour, gaining valuable follow-up national media coverage/publicity for the company.
Advertising Features Writer
Berks & Bucks Observer Group Newspapers
Slough, Berkshire, UK.
• Writing, editing, sub-editing and selling advertorial features for newspaper group placed within seven weekly titles plus free Midweek publication.
• Copy-editing content written by others (advertisers, PR agencies, etc)
• Laid out own pages in conjunction with sub-editor.
Open University web copy on teaching assistants for translation into Welsh
Having passed the OU's copy-editing and proofreading test I have recently completed an assignment to copy-edit and proofread copy for the OU's teaching assistants module online prospectus for translation into the Welsh language.
PhD theses for students
Have copy-edited and proofread a number of student theses at PhD level to ensure consistency and accuracy of all spellings, punctuation and grammar without contravening the students' ownership of the text and being careful always to maintain the student's individual tone and voice. I offer a substantial discount to students on my professional business rates which are in line with those recommended by the SfEP.
Qualifications & Certifications
BA (Hons) English Language & Literature (1st class)
The Open University
Is this your profile?
If this is your profile, then you can claim it now and log into your account.
We will need to verify your account and email address before you can log in. To claim your profile now, please use the 'Claim Profile' button below.
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more