Director & CEO
January 1998 - May 2003
The Craftsman Network was begun by myself in 1998 & was an successful concept in delivering quality home improvement renovation & construction. I served as the general contractor by working with the client and delivering/providing all materials and skilled trades on-site to finish the work on time & at bid. I networked - to the vast majority - with only journeyman level tradesmen &subcontractors. The beauty of Craftsman Network was all accounting was via 1099's - there were no W-2's issued. This freed me to concentrate on the client, their specific needs & desires, and the quality trades people I was contracting with. The end-point: excellent work done on time!
Executive Director - S. Oakland Co. Michigan
Habitat for Humanity International
January 1996 - January 1997
I was the first established ED with the South Oakland County, MI Habitat for Humanity. I established the office & procedures, wrote a syllabus & primer of the ED job description, responsibilities of operating a 501(c)(3) non-profit and establishing a work schedule. I worked closely with the existing "working" Board of Directors while enhancing it with a more diverse cross section of the community served. I worked tirelessly to develop a strong - directly involved - Executive Board of Directors the organization could count on on a daily basis as needed. I spent much of my time - both during my tenure & prior to appointment as ED - with community planners, various regulatory inspectors & code enforcers. Extensive energy was involved in approaching & working with houses of worship, employee groups and youth groups with schools and scouts organizations. The year prior to my appointment as ED the chapter built one home. The year I served as ED we constructed 7 homes. I resigned following one year and trained my replacement. There are many things one may do to help those less fortunate but this I have come to accept - If a community and a family come together to construct a home, place support throughout & following the construction - the chain of poverty has been broken for now and all future generations. Habitat for Humanity does just that. I returned to sea in February 1997.
May 1975 - February 2013
Chief Engineer - James (Jim) Gibson / 6106 Cliff Ave. / Gibsonton, FL 33534 / 201.463.9572
Experience & Employment –
• Sailing as chief and assistant engineer since 1978 through the MEBA organization & the occasional non MEBA contracted positions.
• Served as Chief Engineer – Waterman/Central Gulf, Liberty Maritime, Crowley/MTL, American Presidents Lines, Bouchard Transportation & Moran Towing since 1998;
• Current License: C/E – 4th issue – Motor, Steam & Turbine unlimited Horse Power.
• Adept in the day to day operation, maintenance, repair & regulatory/insurance requirements of large slow-speed 2-stroke & medium-speed 4-stroke diesel vessels and all related on-board electro-mechanical systems in competitive international trades. Supervise the E.R. staff and work with other vessel departments and shore-side support. To insure a safe and environmentally sound operation run on time and at – or below – budget.
• ISM process – Closely involved in initial development & vessel introduction, supervise day to day application, monitoring, feedback, auditing and on-going improvements.
• ISO Membership – A quality feature in a competitive market place giving American flag organizations an acute advantage. I remain a strong proponent with extensive background in the design, implementation, post application enhancements & required auditing.
• SOLAS, CFR & Port/State Authorities – 38 years experience working within these codes. Proficient in administering to the requirements of these regulatory bodies and those who represent their authority.
• STCW – Knowledgeable & proficient in the implementation & record keeping of the terms of this treaty.
• OPA 90 / 46 CFR requirements – To understand, implement, insure proper certification and updates as dictated by OPA 90. 46 CFR applies to operational requirements of OPA 90 in proper handling petroleum based products - cargo, fuels & lubes – in transfers, storage, tank cleansing & remediation of slops and residue...
Chief Engineer - Steam, Motor & Gas Turbines of any Horsepower
May 1975 - February 2013
39 Years working as a licensed marine engineering officer in the US Flag international trades in the operation of steam, diesel and gas turbine propulsion systems. Manage, through installation, preventive maintenance & repairs, all electromechanical onboard systems including but not limited to the following: propulsion & electrical generation, pneumatic & hydraulics in equipment operation & controls, electronic controls & communication. Manage onboard engineering staff and direct vessel engineering requirements including, but not limited to the following: developing, implementing and recording all maintenance, inventory & order required parts & materials, provision the vessel with adequate fuels, lubes, and liquids needed for extensive journey periods. To manage the ship within various guidelines as dictated by state port authorities, the USCG, international treaty requirements, vessel insurance providers and owner requests. To communicate & coordinate with shore side support & other onboard departments to insure required work accomplished inside of tight demands of down time repairs achieved inside of cargo movements. To educate on-board staff in all disciplines required including, but not limited to, specific equipment operation, maintenance, repairs & spare parts management, regulatory requirements including safety, firefighting, automation & sensing, pollution regulations & regulatory requirements, hazardous materials handling & remediation practices. See resume - Background Summary - above
Qualifications & Certifications
Calhoon MEBA Engineering School
License (USCG) Marine Enineering Officer
Calhoon's MEBA Engineering School - Baltimore MD
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more