"Jack of all trades, master of none"
My love for cooking was inspired by my first few jobs in kitchens around Dublin as a teenager. Living on the continent for several years expanded my repertoire to include many Spanish and Italian dishes.
I surf predominantly around the North west of Ireland, but have also surfed all along the Atlantic coast of Europe and Morocco, as well as the Pacific coast of South America,
Hablante De Español
Yo hablo espanol bueno, amigos
SkillPagesOctober 2011 - Present
All things semantic..... my primary role is the development of the SkillGraph project
CallamediCMay 2011 - September 2011
In partnership with IT consultancy firm Maithú and Irish charity Callamedic, I put together a team to develop a fully functioning prototype of a smart phone application and system back end that aims to co-ordinate potentially available cardiac first responders. The application enables first responders to work with the emergency services to quickly provide essential treatment for those suffering suspected cardiac arrest. The project was undertaken by the team as part of a pioneering research course in innovation in software delivered by consultants, Innovation Delivery. My principal role was to lead the development of the django backend that manages and coordinates responders using Android phones.
Trainee web designer
cillian.ieJanuary 2009 - December 2009
Under the instruction of accomplished Graphic Designer Cillian O'Mongain, I took on several web design projects. Activities included:
• Designed and produced websites
• Developed proficiency in web design tools and technologies
• Liaised with clients on projects from initial idea through to launch
Researcher on Cork City Integration Strategy 2008 - 2011
Cork City PartnershipOctober 2007 - April 2008
• Participated in team to plan, develop and ensure timely delivery of the strategy
• Designed and carried out surveys, and generated statistical research for inclusion in strategy
• Monitored and reported on development of strategy to relevant superiors and advisory group
• Coordinated round-table discussions with leaders in the NGO, business and state secto
Teacher of English as Foreign Language
FreelanceJuly 2002 - Present
Included below are selection of some of the roles I have undertaken in my time as an English teacher:
Freelance one-to-one and small group teaching.
• Advertise and network to build up loyal client bases
• Manage and deliver my own courses to people of diverse ages, nationalities and professions
The Language Centre, National University of Ireland, Maynooth
• Delivered intensive English language courses to students preparing for entry to University programs, at levels from undergraduate up to PhD, in a variety of disciplines
• Prepared students for the internationally recognised IELTS examination
FÁS Skills for Work programme.
• Liaised with line managers and HR staff in client organisations with the purpose of identifying employee/employer needs in relation to English language and health and safety.
• Devised and delivered courses tailored to the needs of diverse groups
• Monitored and produced follow-up reports on each student for client organisations
Abbey College, Dame Street, Dublin 2.
• Organised and delivered courses in English for general, exam and business purposes
• Created and delivered a course in basic information technology incorporating the ECDL qualification, web design and basic programming skills for ESOL students
IKEA, Parque Principado, Asturias, Spain.
• Identified language learning requirements of management level staff
• Devised and delivered innovative English language programs to meet the local needs of this large multinational company
Wall Street Institute, Firenze, Italy.
• Delivered core, complementary and business English language courses
• Organised and hosted social events and outings
Auto-Completes á la Cloudfront
To improve the speed of our Auto-Completes for Skill titles, Skill search and Opportunity creation, we decided to use an Amazon Cloudfront CDN to deliver small text files containing the most relevant auto-completes for each letter combination straight to the browser thus cutting out costly service calls. To do this we had to upload just under 1 million text files based on letter combinations created using a pre-existing list of common skill titles we have in our SkillGraph database. These were uploaded to Amazon S3 and a Cloudfront Distribution was deployed on top of this. @[a38390ae-84cb-44b7-aadd-986d89f0c4ac|masond|Darren Mason] then worked his front-end magic, to get the relevant file as the user types and display the appropriate autocompletes.
Since starting at SkillPages, I have spent much of my time working on the Skillgraph project. Building on the research carried out by the team at UCD Clarity, I have worked closely with @[a6266436-5c0b-11df-b1a2-00155d010212|karol.gwaj|Karol Gwaj], @[ebe78f36-122d-11df-b1a2-00155d010212|mike.mccarthy|Mike McCarthy], @[3eb7e770-14da-11df-b1a2-00155d010212|padraic.mulligan|Padraic Mulligan], and @[52c59e41-57bd-4049-92e0-1fdf14ed20e2|rob-henry|Rob Henry] to push the project forward and increase its robustness, accuracy and reliability as it permeates throughout the Skillpages platform. You can read all about the Skillgraph at http://blog.skillpages.com/2012/06/12/skillpages-engineering-introduce-the-skillgraph/. The nature of this project has allowed me to combine my love of language with my passion for solving technical problems. I look forward to its continuing evolution as we seek to serve more and more relevant results and opportunities to all our users.
Unnamed Spots, Ireland
Unnamed Spots - Irish Atlantic
Anchor Point, Morocco
Taghazoute, January 2011
Tower of Babel - Translation Game With A Purpose (GWAP)
I created a GWAP(Game With A Purpose) web application at babel.heroku.com. The game is an on-line multilingual version of Chinese Whispers that has the ulterior purpose of harnessing human translations to be used as training data for Machine Translation. I both developed the concept and created the application from scratch using the Sinatra Ruby web framework and a range of other Rubygems. I deployed to the cloud using the Heroku Platform as a Service.
I created a backend management system using Django for CallamediC to coordinate and track first responders in order to dispatch them to victims of cardiac arrest. As well as utilising much of the core Django library, I made extensive use of third-party frameworks such as GeoDjango and Piston.
A few snaps of me surfing...
I rediscovered fish at breakfast time over the weekend. A large pot of left over rice lead to me learning how to make kedgeree, a dish that will definitely become a regular on the hangover menu. A tin of kippers (smoked herring) was the main event. These were cooked up with curry powder and onions, then the rice was added, and finally just before cooking finished a few eggs. A one pot dish of smoky, spicy rice loaded with essential fish oils.
I made Tuscan roast beef on the weekend. Real rare and real pink, just the way I like it. It only took half an hour to do the kilo. Once the family got over their reservations about the dripping blood, it was complimented all round.
Qualifications & Certifications
MSc Computer Science
MA in Contemporary Migration and Diaspora Studies
University College Cork
BA in Information Technology and History
National University of Ireland
St Conleths College
Certificate in Spanish Language
Universidad popular de Gijon
Dublin School of English
Skillpages has been acquired by Bark.com!
Bark.com is pioneering the way people find local services. Skillpages is the world’s premier directory of service providers.Find out more